PDA

View Full Version : Any CM? When did Disney start the term CM instead of employee?

CaptainSad
10-17-2008, 10:12 AM
I found this site with tickets from the past. Just wondering when they went from being a Disney employee to a Cast member.

PeterPan
10-17-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm sure others will correct me if I am wrong, but I think even Walt Disney himself referred to folks as "Cast Members" - so this term goes back to probably the 1950's...

A fellow named Van France started Disney University to train Cast Members at Disneyland in the 1950's. His text books and training manuals referred to employees as "Cast Members" to convince them that they were a very important part of the "SHOW" which was of paramount importance.

TheRustyScupper
10-17-2008, 01:10 PM
1) Walt used the scenario of a play or show.
2) He wanted each ride segment to be part of the "play".
3) Even the waiting line was part of the play (story).
4) With this in mind, employees were stage players.
5) They were to enhance the story.
6) Hence, Cast Members.
7) This was done before the start.

NOTE: Obviously, "Cast Member" is an in-house term. whether they are Cast Members or Associates, legally, they are employees.

CaptainSad
10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
I was just curious because a couple of the tickets reference Employee Party.

vizsla
10-17-2008, 06:47 PM
The Disney term for employees is "Cast Members." Walt Disney used this term because Cast Members are considered performers, as if they were on stage for the guests (never customers). When all the Disney Cast Members are in the park, they are on stage, when they return to their dressing rooms, the are back-stage.