PDA

View Full Version : Tipping on Dinner/show packages and Buffet service???

mrmcgiv
10-16-2008, 11:57 PM
We are on the dining plan and I was wondering how you all handled tipping for:

1) A dinner show, for Example the Candellight processional. Say we went to Le cellier and our bill would have been $80 based on what we ordered, so that would be $14.40 tip at 18%. BUT say we got the Candlelight processional package and our bill came out to be $110, so that is a tip of $19.80 just b/c you got a show package. When you get the check do they give you your meal total or is it just the package total? And if it is just the package total do you all tip based on that price? Depending on what you order and what show it is it could be a difference. Even Cinderella's castle includes a picture package in the price, right? Is that amount seperated out?

2) Say we go to Chef Mickey's dinner and our bill is $80 (2 adults, 2 kids, I do not know the exact price). It is a buffet, while I understand we have a server who is very attentive and brings drinks and takes care fo some other requests and 18% tip that equals $14.80 at a buffet seems like a lot. What is customary to tip at a buffet? What do you all tip?

Now at a full svc meal I can see tipping18-20%, but not sure about these sitiations. Last time we went the tip was included.

Thanks

Seasonscraps
10-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Question #1, I am not sure about. I haven't been in that situation but I think I would tip based on the price of the meal if that can be qualified.

Question #2, I tip about the same for buffets as I do sit downs 18-20% although I may round down instead of rounding up. The server does quite a bit with drink refills and clearing the plates. The prices are generally lower for more food (both quantity & variety) which means the amount of the tip is smaller then at a menu restaurant.

gerald72
10-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Question #1: Tips for dinner shows are included on the dining plan.

ariel326
10-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I think that % tipping sticks, not just for WDW, but anywhere... If you go somewhere and order lobsters your bill could be $100 and the people next to you order burgers and thier bill is $30, you got the same amount of service why should the tip be $18 and the other be $5 for the same amount of service?? I always give great tips, but it should be per person not % of bill.

henry.james.s
10-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Question #1: Tips for dinner shows are included on the dining plan.

True ONLY for the Hoop dee Doo & Polynesian Luau shows.
The gratuity for dinner isn't included in the price of the CP package.

mrmcgiv
10-17-2008, 09:18 AM
True, I totally understand this point. When we eat out non-disney with two kids we tip a high percentage b/c the kid's meals are $3-$5 each. When I got out with just me and two kids sometimes I will tip 30-40% b/c we get as much svc as 3 adults if not more and the kid's meal are cheap!

I think that % tipping sticks, not just for WDW, but anywhere... If you go somewhere and order lobsters your bill could be $100 and the people next to you order burgers and thier bill is $30, you got the same amount of service why should the tip be $18 and the other be $5 for the same amount of service?? I always give great tips, but it should be per person not % of bill.