PDA

View Full Version : It's been a rough couple of weeks.....

dolphinmickey9170
10-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Sorry I haven't been on much lately....but it really has been a tough couple of weeks around here.

First of all, we lost one of our resident doctors to a motorcycle accident. He was so excited...he has always wanted one. So, he bought one. His inexperience cost him his life after just having the bike for two weeks. He will be sadly missed. He was a great inspiration to the other residents and interns. He was well respected by our entire staff.

Secondly, one of my very close friends had a major stroke Saturday. She called out of work on Friday, and was to be at a family function on Saturday noon time, but never showed up. Her family didn't check on her until late in the evening and they found her on the floor. Lord knows how long she laid there. Her stroke is so severe, her prognosis is not good. Had this happened while we were at work, it probably could have been almost completely reversed by receiving TPA. She had some mini TIA symptoms last week, but just blew them off. When you ask her to fight, she just turns her eyes away from you. She doesn't recognize anyone...she just has a blank type stare.

Lastly, we lost an awesome paramedic today. He was a young, fibrant man who had three small children. At only 32, he was a diabetic on an insulin pump. He worked at the firehouse last night, complaining of not feeling well, laid down and went to sleep. He never was called out during the night, and when his relief came in this morning, he was gone. There will be an autopsy done, but most of us expect that they will find a hypoglycemic event took his life. His pump would have alarmed if his blood sugar dropped too low, but he wasn't feeling well when he laid down, so we wonder if he never heard the alarm, or maybe had already gone unconscious before the alarm.

I'm sorry to release here, but I know that this is a wonderful place to let things go.

I pray for the families of my three friends, and I pray for all of you.

handmaidenofprincesses
10-16-2008, 09:08 PM
God bless you and all of them.. :pixie:Lots of Pixie dust being sent your way for happier times in the months ahead :)

Marilyn Michetti
10-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Did you say "TOUGH" week? It should read CATASTROPHIC week.

Oh, My Goodness!!!:cry:

You just rest your heart on us for awhile. We'll take good care of it.:hug:

cal5755
10-16-2008, 09:58 PM
I was very sad to hear about the paramedic on the news today... that is so sad. The news did not say he was a diabetic though. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his children and to the families of the resident doctor and your good friend.

Hugs and :pixie: for you!!

kakn7294
10-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Gosh Kris, that's terrible! I knew about the doctor, of course, but not your friend or the paramedic. :pixie: for you friend! Too bad she ignored her earlier symptoms. If you need to talk, call me. I'm off tomorrow except for a dentist appointment at 10:30a to fix the damage Megan's head caused - she chipped a filling with that head butt!

DisneyDudet
10-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Boy, when it rains, it pours, doesn't it?

One of our nurses, who had a massive tumor from her uterus removed months ago, went for her EGD/Colonoscopy this week, and they found a lot of cancer. They were sure the original tumor was benign, but it seems it was not. I don't know when she'll return to work. This will be very hard for her, not just emotionally. They spent a lot of their savings while she was out with the surgery last time.

Another nurse found out a close family member died last week. She is from Africa, and so was her family member. We don't know when she'll return to work either.

Kris, my prayers are with you and all your work friends.

ChipnDaleGal
10-17-2008, 05:35 AM
My goodness Kristin! Anyone of those things would be hard to deal with, but all three would be devastating. I am so sorry that you are going through such a sad time. :pixie: all around for you and those poor friends of yours. :hug:

SBETigg
10-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Kristen, I am so sorry. That is a rough week, and my heart goes out to the families, and to you. I hope your friend recovers. So sad. Sending prayers and hugs.

RedSoxFan
10-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Kristen: So sorry to hear all the news. My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

disneydeb
10-17-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm keeping you and your coworkers in my thoughts and sending a little prayer your way.

TinkerbellT421
10-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Oh my what a horrible week for you. I am so sorry to hear about your losses. I will keep you, and your coworkers. and their families in my prayers. Sending pixie dust and prayers your way to help you through. :( :pixie::pixie:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-17-2008, 10:00 AM
So sorry to hear that...lots of prayers going your way

divinedi
10-17-2008, 07:19 PM
:hug:

ElenitaB
10-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Kristen, what a horrible, horrible week! Prayers for the families and many :hug: and much :pixie: for you!

crazypoohbear
10-17-2008, 08:00 PM
I am so very sorry for all your loss. you must be feeling so down right now. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and all concerned at this time.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-17-2008, 09:48 PM
I am very sorry. Losing people is never easy. I am thinking of you and the families of your friends.

mrsgaribaldi
10-18-2008, 06:20 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about all that happened. You really never know when your time is up. I'm so sorry for your friends, their families and for you. Prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: on the way, especially for your friend's recovery. :hug:

DisneyWhirled
10-18-2008, 10:56 PM
So sorry to hear about all of this. I had no idea.

Prayers and pixie dust to you and all of the families affected. I will pray for your friend as well.

tinkerbell04
10-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I also heard about the paramedic on the news. I am so sorry that you are going through all of this Kristen. Please know that I will be keeping you and your co-workers in my prayers. Here is some :pixie: to help a little bit.

dolphinmickey9170
10-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the kind words and pixie dust. Just to let you know, there has been no change in my friend who had the stroke. I went to see her the other night while I was working, and she just looked at me....like she was looking right through me. It was all too weird. I gave her a kiss and told her that people she didn't even know were praying for her.

kakn7294
10-20-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm sorry to hear that there's been no improvement. I've been praying for her since I first read it here and we talked on Saturday. I wish there were something more I could do, both for you and for her. Call me if you need to talk. I'm off tomorrow although I might do some shopping if I can haul myself off of the couch - but I'll have my cell.

LauraleeH
10-21-2008, 06:06 PM
That's so sad, I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm very scared because my best guy friend wants a motorcycle and I've known quite a few people that have lost their lives on motorcycles. Hearing about this does not help at all.