PDA

View Full Version : San Angel Inn - what's good there?

GaDisneyGal
10-16-2008, 11:17 AM
I need some advice from those of you who have eaten at San Angel Inn. What did you order and can you give me a review on it? Thank you!!!:mickey:

DisneyFr33k
10-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I had the Mahi Mahi and DH had the Plato Mexicana. The food was just average and the service even worse. It was very crowded - our chairs bumped into another tables chairs. The servers didn't really act excited to be there - any of them. It was just serve 'em and leave 'em. I hope you have a better experience than we did. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible, but not memorable either.

quackaddict
10-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Unlike the previous post, We (DW & I) had Great service. The food was decent, atmosphere was nice(although VERY busy) and again, our service was what you'd expect a CM to act like. :thumbsup:

I actually enjoyed my nachos and margaritas outside @ the Cantina better:marg:

SBETigg
10-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I really enjoy the San Angel Inn and we've never had a truly bad meal, though sure there is better food at some other WDW places and the chips and salsa are surprisingly not good. But big deal. We've always had great service and love the atmosphere. I like the Ceviche and the mole poblano (the chicken was a little rubbery but the stuffed pepper, the sauce, and everything else was so worth it). Oh, and the mango margaritas. Real pureed fruit, not just frozen mix like in the stands outside the building (which are also good, but not as amazing as the mango margaritas inside).

elmjimmlm
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
My answer to your ? of what is good there I would have to say NOTHING!!!

lighteningqueen
10-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Ditto that and 5 times... all 5 of us thought it was the worst meal of the whole week we ate there. We actually left our plates full and went and ate somewhere else. There was a table of 12 sitting next to us and we overheard them complaining and when the server left we asked them if they liked theirs. Thay ALL at once said AWFUL.. It is the worst excuse for Mexican food. The only thing good was the soup and the nachos and they were all apps last Dec.

Lynn J Mc
10-16-2008, 03:38 PM
After reviewing the menu and finally going there in September - I have to agree with nothing except for one thing - the house salad. # out of 5 people ordered just that and loved it. The shrimp cocktail shrimp was chewy and gross. Husband's chicken was overly spicy. They should just put a Taco Bell there and be done with it. I think the chips that come first were actually Tostitos.

SBETigg
10-16-2008, 04:30 PM
After reviewing the menu and finally going there in September - I have to agree with nothing except for one thing - the house salad. # out of 5 people ordered just that and loved it. The shrimp cocktail shrimp was chewy and gross. Husband's chicken was overly spicy. They should just put a Taco Bell there and be done with it. I think the chips that come first were actually Tostitos.

They are Tostitos. Tostitos sponsors the pavilion.

EmmMOM2
10-16-2008, 07:14 PM
IF you like mexican, Go ELSEWHERE their is virtually nothing mexican on that menu just a bunch of steak and chicken i could get better elsewhere. For gross food it's pretty expensive too! :sick:

kathiep
10-17-2008, 10:31 AM
If you want to go mainly to enjoy the atmosphere, by all means, go and enjoy that. But if you're looking for good service and decent food - stay away. I have to say this is the one place we will never revisit. The service was awful. The servers were slow and uninterested. The food wasn't inedible but it was close. When we want mexican while we're in Disney - we go to the cantina.

mudpuppysmom
10-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I agree with the previous poster in that you go primiarily for the atmosphere.....and that is my :twocents:

As for the food.....we went a couple years ago and had the CP package and that was THE only place left to eat....so I booked it with an open mind......

Well, my mind shortly thereafter closed.

We were seated late for our ADR (which I know is just a loose guesstimate). Our CM was just absent! It took forever to get drinks, refills? what are they?!?!? Our food was brought out by someone else and when I did see our server he was at the table next to us -- apparently people he knew and he was paying total attention to them and no one else!

I will say that my DS#1 did eat a little bit.....the chips and salsa! That was about it.

I don't recall what I had, but you can get better mexican elsewhere and for the price, you can get it across the "street" at the Cantina!

You'll always get mixed reviews though....some people like it, some don't. So, you should check it out for yourself and then judge.

Again, the atmosphere is really what you go for -- it's like going to character meals (some of the time you get good food AND get to meet characters).

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-17-2008, 11:14 AM
If you want to go mainly to enjoy the atmosphere, by all means, go and enjoy that. But if you're looking for good service and decent food - stay away. I have to say this is the one place we will never revisit. The service was awful. The servers were slow and uninterested. The food wasn't inedible but it was close. When we want mexican while we're in Disney - we go to the cantina.

:ditto:

Verolovesdisney
10-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Hello,

Well, to echo most of the comments, our meal at the San Angel was one of the least enjoyable we've had at Disney. I can't remember what everyone else had, but I do remember sharing Natchos and have the Mahi-Mahi as the main dish; natchos were very blah, and really a small portion, certainly not enough for two people to really share and the Mahi was way over cooked and completely tastless.

The atmosphere certainly is pretty cool, but I think you can soak that in simply by walking around the pavilion and taking the ride.

Richard

KathyMO
10-17-2008, 03:07 PM
My answer to your ? of what is good there I would have to say NOTHING!!!

I agree:ack:

dnickels
10-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Of course it's not authentic Mexican, but that same theory applies everywhere on Disney property. You're paying a lot more for the food because of the Disney atmosphere than you would pay for the same food anywhere else.

I've eaten there a fair number of times and always had good service. I had the plato mexicano last time, if you're a foodie or picky you won't be impressed, but I enjoyed it.

ElenitaB
10-17-2008, 07:35 PM
I enjoy the San Angel Inn, but I think that's because I don't go expecting to eat Tex-Mex or anything like it. My frame of reference is food from Mexico (not the Americanized version of Mexican food). It's not perfect, but as we all know, some of the food in World Showcase falls low on the "authentic scale."

As for allegations that the food there is not "Mexican," I respectfully disagree:
- Ceviche: you'll find great ceviche on both of Mexico's coasts (brings back memories of vacations in Rosarito)
- Sopes: "street" comfort food
- Mahi-Mahi a la Veracruzana - traditionally this dish is made with snapper. It's "typical" of Veracruz
- Mole poblano - my personal fav. A friend of mine from Hermosillo claimed that mole came from his region of the country, but I think Oaxaca is more known for its mole.

I wonder how many people who vehemently dislike San Angel Inn, like Nine Dragons (which I really dislike). Different strokes for different folks!

readytogo2
10-18-2008, 08:36 AM
WHATS wrong with Tostitos? I .sell them for a living

Crow
10-19-2008, 01:51 AM
:marg: are good
ummmm the atmosphere!
the food though not so much...soso

ffrda
10-19-2008, 08:57 AM
It bums me out because we LOVE the atmosphere of this restaurant.....but the food is awful. I am very easy to please, but in four attempts, 3 meals were dreadful, and one was marginally tolerable. So we have just resorted to walking around the pavilion, and taking the ride, to enjoy the atmosphere.

sisterdisco
10-19-2008, 09:50 PM
We ate at San Angel in August. I can't remember what entree I had, but we had chips and guacamole to start with which we thought was great. (they definitely weren't tostitos!!).
DH loved his entree and I did as well. I had some sort of fruit tart w/ custard for desert that was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!

I would definitely go back.
Nothing wrong w/ our service.

Lynn J Mc
10-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Nothing's wrong with Tostitos. HAve a bag at home right now. Love them. I just don't expect them at a restaurant that is supposed to be fine Mexican dining. They were actually the only good thing about our meal. But that made for an expensive bag of Tostitos!!

Clarabelle Cow
10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
What's good there? The ambiance and the mariachi band.

To enjoy the atmpsphere and the music, we simply use our reservation for appetizer and drinks.

Clarabelle Cow

Natazu
10-21-2008, 03:04 AM
San Angel Inn (Table Service) ☺☺☻
Beautiful and romantic, from first glance the food has a lot to live up to. While the menu is imaginative, the food is only slightly better than average. The beef isn’t nearly tender and flavorful enough to be in a $24 - $27 entrée. Most of the chicken and seafood dishes are pretty good. The sauces are about the only thing exceptional about the place. If they improved the quality of the meat and line cooks would do as much work on presentation as the designer did on the atmosphere, they’d have a good restaurant.

Specific Items:
Ceviche: While more of a South American dish, they do a good job on this. It's obviously made in-house and doesn't come out of a bag. The citrus flavors abound giving way to the combination of shrimp, tuna, and mackerel (depending on the day, squid or mahi). They are a little heavy-handed with the coriander but as a light appetizer, it's hard to beat on the east side of the lagoon.

Brocheta de Mariscos: The idea behind this is to arrange the items on the skewer from least flavorful to most. That didn't happen here but it really didn't matter since the zucchini, potatoes, and chorizo were basically mush all around the skewer. The scallops and mahi, once disentangled, were fresh and well prepared from a delightful marinate. I recommend asking for the skewers to be on a different plate from the non-skewed stuff.

Pescado a la Ranchera: This one's a winner. The fish was light and flaky. The ranchero sauce was rich with southwest flavor. The cactus slices, uh, needed more sauce ... and to be something other than cactus.

#1donaldfan
10-21-2008, 10:36 AM
......THE EXIT .... !!!!!

.....actually, if you go in full, after eating at Coral Reef, you'll really like the atmosphere, as it is very beautiful in there....I say to go in full, 'cause you may be tempted to eat there....:thedolls:

LudwigVonDrake
10-27-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't know. I had the Churrasco Con Chilaquiles for lunch and it was delicious.