PDA

View Full Version : Where have the zebras gone?

Zawadi
10-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Just returned from WDW and noticed whilst riding the Kilimanjaro Safari, that the zebras were no longer roaming the savannah. Does anyone know when they disappeared, where they went to and why?

There are still zebras at the AKL.

Stickey
10-15-2008, 04:39 PM
The zebras are probably still present at the AK park, however, they apparently were not out at the time of your safari. Usually, the animals are free to wander back to their night houses. The AK CM's leave snacks to encourage the animals to stay out on the savannah.

Animal activity varies and each safari offers a different selection of animals. Our strategy is to ride the Kilimanjaro Safaris at several different times during the day.

Imagineer1981
10-15-2008, 04:53 PM
As far as I am aware they are still around. Perhaps they were in their night house

Zawadi
10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the responses.:mickey:

Perhaps we were just unlucky but after going on the safari over 10 times between 20 Sep and 04 Oct at random times throughout the day with not a single zebra in sight we began to think that it was more than just being in their night house.

paragon
10-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I was also there 9/27-10/4 and also noticed the absence of the zebras. I thought it was odd. We did however get to see baby giraffes and elephants! And got stuck behind a group of white rhinos who held up the safari for about 15 minutes.

disneymom15
10-15-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't recall seeing them in mid August either.

JPL
10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
The animals have alot of area to roam around and sometimes they are out buy not visible to guests. This is what makes the safari a unique experience every ride.

trebornozel
10-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Here in the World now (at the Swan) and did the safari on Tuesday the 14th in the am. No zebras at that time either!!

joelkfla
10-16-2008, 09:05 AM
I have heard that the zebras are moved to a back area when there are baby animals on the savanna, because they (the zebras) can be too aggressive.

Years ago, they were sometimes visible off in the distance to the left as you approached the falling bridge, but the gorge was re-landscaped with tall vegetation which now blocks that view.

Mackflava99
10-16-2008, 09:42 AM
There are stil alot of zebras at the AK lodge- especially near the pool and lobby

Davyjones
10-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Disney only has 2 zebras left in their collection: 1 female Grant's Zebra and 1 female Damaraland Plains Zebra. They probably have them in their off public areas (which all zoos should have). Plus, the safari area is so large that maybe they just were not visible. Not sure.

joelkfla, you are correct. Zebras can be relatively aggressive toward baby animals, including other zebra babies. We've seen that many times at our zoo. They usually need to be separated until the babies are a little older and can get away from the zebras if need be. :)

Zawadi
10-16-2008, 01:44 PM
"Asante sana" to all.

The zebras being moved due to the possiblity of them harming the young animals seems the most plausible answer.

WDWdriver
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
The zebras being moved due to the possiblity of them harming the young animals seems the most plausible answer.

Karibu, Zawadi

Yes, the zebras can be aggressive. And this is not the first time they have been kept "off show" for that reason.

paragon
10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
bad zebras! how bout an animatronic zebra off in the distance to fool us then! :)

zebradome17
10-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm new to this. But when i went in August i don't remember seeing any zebras either. I'm not sure where they've gone though.:confused:

Sharon1026
10-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Just returned from WDW and noticed whilst riding the Kilimanjaro Safari, that the zebras were no longer roaming the savannah. Does anyone know when they disappeared, where they went to and why?

There are still zebras at the AKL.

Well... I did notice that the lions were looking a little on the pudgy side...;)

paragon
10-17-2008, 02:43 PM
They were there, standing still in front of the white and black picket fence!

Zawadi
03-22-2009, 02:03 PM
It has been almost six months since we started this thread Just wondered if the situation had changed. Has anyone been on the Kilimanjaro safari recently. Are the zebras back "on stage", or are they still nowhere to be seen?

DisneyBabies
03-22-2009, 04:57 PM
We were the two weeks ago and went on the Safari three times (DS5 loves the flamingos!), and no Zebras. We saw several cheetas, a lion and two lionesses though.