PDA

View Full Version : Please don't be one who does this . . .

FaithTrustPixieDust
10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
For all the magical memories of last week's trip, I must say there is one thing that really irks me . . . .

Grown ups who cut in line!!! And they try to avoid direct eye contact with you because they know they are cutting in line. And they are teaching their kids how to cut in line. :thedolls:

Sorry- just had to get that off my chest. I feel so much better now.

Tinkerbella16
10-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Oh I agree!!!

Its like they have no manners and are worse than children. Sometimes its hard to say something, because you wanna avoid a conflict and you don't want it to turn into something bad...then that ruins the magic of your trip. And I am not one to keep my mouth shut either. But man oh man, this is the most annoying thing people (ADULTS!!!) do...

Greenlawler
10-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I agree but any time I used to say something its was always that rare case where the person actually has a good reason, or it escalated into a shouting match that ruined my day. So I choose to ignore it now, life is to short to worry. Its twice as bad at DL.

Imagineer1981
10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
its just wrong! :mad::mad::mad:

hardingella
10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I wonder what would happen if we cut infront of them straight after they cut infront of us.Dont know if i would have the nerve:angry:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I agree 100%. To take it one step further...we were at extra disney hours and waiting in line at the Toy Story "ride" for the fastpass machines to open up. The people at the front of the line were taking the pass keys for the machine from friends, relatives, etc. as they passed by. One of the girls at the front of the line, had at least 30 cards for fastpasses. After this happened a few times, one parent just ripped into one of the late comers and a shouting match did break out. I, for once, chose to ignore it. Some things just aren't worth getting worked up about..

Disney fans..
10-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh I agree!!!

Its like they have no manners and are worse than children. Sometimes its hard to say something, because you wanna avoid a conflict and you don't want it to turn into something bad...then that ruins the magic of your trip. And I am not one to keep my mouth shut either. But man oh man, this is the most annoying thing people (ADULTS!!!) do...

:exactly: I feel the same way!

satchel01
10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
We noticed alot of this too during our trip last month. It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people have one person get in line while the rest of their group lollygags around or gets snacks, then they all skip everyone who's in line to join up with the first bozo. It's the most inconsiderate rude thing and I wish something was done about it. At least put a sign up somewhere stating that line cutting is not tolerated and if someone you know is in line already either they move back in line to join with you or you just ride separately. There's no excuse for this kind of immature behavior.

disneychick62
10-15-2008, 06:54 PM
:exactly::exactly: me tooo! i feel the same way alsoooooooo!

Ian
10-15-2008, 07:05 PM
If I saw someone actually just cut in line in front of me, I would definitely say something. No question.

I don't know that I've ever actually seen that, though. I see a lot of people joining family ahead of them or returning from taking little ones to potty breaks. That doesn't bother me that much, though. Having two little ones of my own, I know how that can be.

But some people carry it too far. For example, I see a lot of people who use the logic that, "My party is as fast as its fastest member." meaning that one person will run ahead and get in line and then the other thirteen members of their group think that means they can go up and join them. Uh uh. Doesn't work that way. :nono:

But in general, if it's just one or two people it most likely won't affect your place in line anyway (since they'll probably take up the same space in a ride vehicle) so I just let it go.

biodtl
10-15-2008, 07:33 PM
It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people have one person get in line while the rest of their group lollygags around or gets snacks, then they all skip everyone who's in line to join up with the first bozo
Me too, and we saw a LOT of it last week! I don't mind if it is one person, especially an older person. Or a child you had to go to the restroom, etc (although one woman did it with her two kids and told everyone oh sorry - they were in the store shopping - which to me would be enough reason for the whole party to wait). But we saw it happen with 5 people in line and 10+ catching up later. It's frustrating, but I kept my mouth shut.

However - I did speak up when a man tried so get his family to cut the line at HM. He sauntered up beside me and stood there and I heard one of his kids try to tell him the line was further back and he said, "No - we're fine! We're waiting - see?" I spoke up and told him that if he was looking for the HM line, it was way back there. He gave me a dirty look and muttered something, but he went.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-15-2008, 07:53 PM
For some reason, people always glare at me when I cut the line. But I have a good excuse - it's when they are calling for a party of 2 or less. Since I'm almost always a party of one, they'll let me fill the whole.

Someone muttered something not nice the other day when this happened at Tower. I just ignored it.

Although I usually don't ride if the wait or more than 20 minutes anyways. Hence, I've not ridden TSM since it opened - the line is never short enough, there are never FP, the attraction re-entries don't work for it, and they got rid of the single rider.

Polynesian Dweller
10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
For some reason, people always glare at me when I cut the line. But I have a good excuse - it's when they are calling for a party of 2 or less. Since I'm almost always a party of one, they'll let me fill the whole.

Someone muttered something not nice the other day when this happened at Tower. I just ignored it.
We get that too. We're always two and there are lots of time when they are just looking for two and call us forward. Too bad many don't realize when we come through that it ISN'T line cutting when the CM asks you to come through. That's line management that makes everything move faster. But you do get the comments and looks.

monkeycity
10-15-2008, 10:24 PM
But in general, if it's just one or two people it most likely won't affect your place in line anyway (since they'll probably take up the same space in a ride vehicle) so I just let it go.

I agree. The only time we've ever had a problem is when we're all being corralled at the start of a line. Like when there's a pretty big open space when you're lining up and several people are all walking into the line before it goes into the cattle guards. I have had a couple of rude folks that start to separate members of my family (there's usually at least 6 of us) by falling in step with us. They get between us and get mad when the rest of us try to catch up, which means going around them :thedolls:

bkfree
10-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Yes most cutting in line is just plain rude behavior. But if you are in line with my family there may be things you don't know. We have two children, a 7 year old very patient and wise daughter and a 9 year old son, who is a blessing and a joy and is living grandly with autism. We have been to Disney several times and it is his favorite place on earth. We have never used the GAC , we believe that waiting your turn is a life lesson and required in just about everything you will ever do. But he does have sensory issues and if it is a close crowded line or others are just really jammed up against him, he cannot handle that. If this is the line situation then my daughter and either DH or myself will stand in line and wait and the other will stand off to the side where he has a little space. Once the queue reaches the last straightaway, we will join the other 2.
I can say that this happens only about 30% of the rides.
But, I don't think we are cutting in line. We have waited patiently for our turn. I am sorry if you think that because you stood in a certain place that you wait outweighs ours, but we have waited the same as you just in a different pattern. I am sorry if you have every harboured negative feelings toward us. I would gladly trade my son's autism for your normal child that will patiently wait in the crowded line.
We are not asking to go to the front and we are not asking to shorten our wait. I am so glad that we have never encountered any rudeness or comments from other guests when we do this. They seem to sense that we are not being rude even though my son looks just like any other child.
Maybe in Dec. I will get that GAC and post it promenently on his chest so just in case anyone thinks we are jumping in line, they will see a special need for a special child and know but for the Grace of God Go Them.

iluvdizney2
10-16-2008, 12:18 AM
just like some other special needs families, we have 8 people at all times because we have nursing help with us. We have 4 wheelchairs (actually 3 plus 1 scooter) and those take up space in some of those crowded lines. And we have 2 autistic kids, plus one kid who is hearing imapired and too much noise in a small area causes him anxiety and confusion. So in fact we let the castmember know we are putting 1 or 2 people in line and when they get to the front, we would like to join them...all the while we are sitting somewhere waiting. We are not cutting, but we are certainly waiting off to the side somewhere. MANY times the CMs have told us when the part gets close to the front to please just come up and join them so it moves smoothly. We often do not use WC lines....only if the kids are too weak to walk at that time, or if their pain is too much.
Now, we have had times when we have waited in a line as a group and people have been annoyed with the size of the equiptment or our group, and they wiggle their way through to be in front of us. Yes I am annoyed beyond belief. But I figure if they really feel the need to be first, then so be it....They are the ones who have to live with their ignorance, because I know somewhere down the line some one is going to give it right back to them!
I mean they are adults...they should know better...sometimes they claim language barrier...but they understand, you hear them talking! and then their are times when we have actually thought we were given another child as they have wandered up into our group, but that is innocent. And there has even been a few times when we have been close and behind us are a little kid or two and we let them on before us because it takes a few seconds longer.
I firmly believe you reap what you sow, you get what you give...trust me, those adults will be dealing with their rude children a lot longer than you or I will have to.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Personally,I would never berate someone with an elderly parent or small child who is waiting to the side, what bothers me is the large groups with walkie talkie's that will have one person wait in line until they reach the front then call them on the walkie talkie and a group of ten obviously healthy persons by the way they run and stampede in cut in line....however, I might speak up but not to the point of getting into a shouting match...it just isn't worth it

Mousemates
10-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Irks me too, but except for one particular occasion {where I simply looked at the "bell cow" of the group and calmly said "hey man, thats not right" ...which created an extreme amount of discomfort and a complete absence of eyecontact from the entire party afterward (and not just in that line but when we crossed paths throughout the evening)} I've mellowed out and learned to just let it go...and anyway, most of the time those folks seem to be trying so hard to do everything that they forget to enjoy themselves and take note of the little nuances alone the way.

goofysbabe
10-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Oh my gosh, I was just talking about this on Sunday - my MIL and I went to Beef & Boards a dinner theater here in Indiana. We are standing in line and 2 women go to the box office to get tickets. Well once they got their tickets they just turned around and got in line right in front of us. I was thinking my gosh can't you see all the people standing in line here? I made a couple comments which neither of them acknowledged. I told my MIL when we go to Disney in Dec. I may not be as nice :mad: What in the world are we teaching are children and how in the world can you possible do something like that with a clear conscience(I'm at a loss on how to spell this word right now). I would be motified to do something like that on purpose!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes most cutting in line is just plain rude behavior. But if you are in line with my family there may be things you don't know. We have two children, a 7 year old very patient and wise daughter and a 9 year old son, who is a blessing and a joy and is living grandly with autism. We have been to Disney several times and it is his favorite place on earth. We have never used the GAC , we believe that waiting your turn is a life lesson and required in just about everything you will ever do. But he does have sensory issues and if it is a close crowded line or others are just really jammed up against him, he cannot handle that. If this is the line situation then my daughter and either DH or myself will stand in line and wait and the other will stand off to the side where he has a little space. Once the queue reaches the last straightaway, we will join the other 2.
I can say that this happens only about 30% of the rides.
But, I don't think we are cutting in line. We have waited patiently for our turn. I am sorry if you think that because you stood in a certain place that you wait outweighs ours, but we have waited the same as you just in a different pattern. I am sorry if you have every harboured negative feelings toward us. I would gladly trade my son's autism for your normal child that will patiently wait in the crowded line.
We are not asking to go to the front and we are not asking to shorten our wait. I am so glad that we have never encountered any rudeness or comments from other guests when we do this. They seem to sense that we are not being rude even though my son looks just like any other child.
Maybe in Dec. I will get that GAC and post it promenently on his chest so just in case anyone thinks we are jumping in line, they will see a special need for a special child and know but for the Grace of God Go Them.

I don't think anyone here would or was berating you for your situation. The issue is with large groups sending one person to wait while the rest of the group does something else... not the situation you are describing. No one ever even hinted that special needs situations or elderly guests with family were the ones at issue. I think that everyone here would agree that there is a big difference between what you have described and what the rest of the board is describing as unacceptable.

bkfree
10-16-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't think anyone here would or was berating you for your situation. The issue is with large groups sending one person to wait while the rest of the group does something else... not the situation you are describing. No one ever even hinted that special needs situations or elderly guests with family were the ones at issue. I think that everyone here would agree that there is a big difference between what you have described and what the rest of the board is describing as unacceptable.

No I did not take it as anyone here berating us.
But, for all intents and purposes we look just like a normal family and most of the time you would never know my son is autistic to the casual observer. All special needs are not so obvious in children or adults. As are some health issues not so readily apparant.
But I too think that most can tell the difference between this type of situation and rude or clueless guests.
BUT, if you ever read the Traveling with Special Needs Forum you see how often negative and rude comments are directed at families like ours with special kids and kids that are obviously physically disabled.
I also agree that you will get back tenfold in life what you put out there.
I have seen such rudeness from some at WDW that I would never want to be standing near them in a thunderstorm. They have a lot of negative vibes that will be coming back at them.
Never have encountered the Walkie Talkie Groups, but I did handily chastise a couple in front of us at a food court at AK, when they got to the counter, 4 more adults and 6 children joined them for a long and confusing order. I was just ordering 1 small drink.......
When a CM finally came over for my order and they heard my order, say my expression and realized what they had done, one of the wive offered an apology. I told her just to please not let it happen again while they were enjoying the parks to other guests behind them.
She was thoroughly embarrased and I heard her chiding the others for their behavior as I walked off.;)

kakn7294
10-17-2008, 08:03 AM
I don't worry about it anymore. Since in most cases line-jumpers don't hold us up any more than a few seconds to a couple of minutes, it's not worth my time and energy to fret about it. I don't berate anyone for it because I don't want to end up in any ugly confrontations and it's not going to change their behavior anyway if it's the case of those large groups saving places in line - most times, they already know it's wrong and just don't care.

indytraveler
10-17-2008, 10:55 AM
I believe we all have had moments when we have taken our younger ones to the bathroom out of a line and tried to hurry back before you got past the point of no return. Having 1 or two join a group or family has never been a problem. Me like several of you have problems when the younger kids of a group of 10-15 are ahead of you and they want their group to catch up. Usually this happens right in front of the line where the culprit will scurry in front of you to get up front. Meanwhile when we catch the back of the line they turn around and wave the rest of their party forward. I will then get upset with this. Now my kids who are 14,12,8 will say how rude it is to the adults who want by. This has worked when kids tell adults they are being rude.

The other line jumping is when the ropes are up for zig-zagging and no one is in line. Do you walk the maze to the back of the line or simply walk under ropes to catch up? Do you go under when a family has decided to walk around thus putting yourself in front of them? I guess I'm the sucker for walking around huh? That gets me steamed.:mad::mad:

FatherForce
10-17-2008, 11:07 AM
And, may I just add, that although the "line jumping" is rude,as we have seen, sometimes it is justified.

Even when it isn't, what has it hurt you?

Yeah, it's annoying and angries up the blood, but in the big picture, you are in Disney World and having a great time!

Take the high road.

The view is better up there.

Marilyn Michetti
10-17-2008, 11:20 AM
just like some other special needs families, we have 8 people at all times because we have nursing help with us. We have 4 wheelchairs (actually 3 plus 1 scooter) and those take up space in some of those crowded lines. And we have 2 autistic kids, plus one kid who is hearing imapired and too much noise in a small area causes him anxiety and confusion. So in fact we let the castmember know we are putting 1 or 2 people in line and when they get to the front, we would like to join them...all the while we are sitting somewhere waiting. We are not cutting, but we are certainly waiting off to the side somewhere. MANY times the CMs have told us when the part gets close to the front to please just come up and join them so it moves smoothly. We often do not use WC lines....only if the kids are too weak to walk at that time, or if their pain is too much.
Now, we have had times when we have waited in a line as a group and people have been annoyed with the size of the equiptment or our group, and they wiggle their way through to be in front of us. Yes I am annoyed beyond belief. But I figure if they really feel the need to be first, then so be it....They are the ones who have to live with their ignorance, because I know somewhere down the line some one is going to give it right back to them!
I mean they are adults...they should know better...sometimes they claim language barrier...but they understand, you hear them talking! and then their are times when we have actually thought we were given another child as they have wandered up into our group, but that is innocent. And there has even been a few times when we have been close and behind us are a little kid or two and we let them on before us because it takes a few seconds longer.
I firmly believe you reap what you sow, you get what you give...trust me, those adults will be dealing with their rude children a lot longer than you or I will have to.

That's about the most sensible solution on record. I only see one problem - able bodied, hot, tired, folks would want to use it too. That would be an issue for having a GAC card - not to "go to the front" of the line, but to do just as you've suggested.:thumbsup:

A Big Kid
10-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Oh I agree!!!

Yes. You see, if I get myself all worked up over it, then I get worked up. You know what I mean? I cant control the doofus who cuts in front of me, but I can control my good humor.

I tell myself that if cutting in line means so much to that person that he/she would sacrifice all their dignity, so be it.

Now.....dont even think about cutting me off in traffic!!!!!!!!!:mad:

FatherForce
10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Well, cutting people off in traffic is a safety hazard.

I find myself very irritated whne someone else compromises my family's and my well being.

badkitty
10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
I believe we all have had moments when we have taken our younger ones to the bathroom out of a line and tried to hurry back before you got past the point of no return. Having 1 or two join a group or family has never been a problem. Me like several of you have problems when the younger kids of a group of 10-15 are ahead of you and they want their group to catch up. Usually this happens right in front of the line where the culprit will scurry in front of you to get up front. Meanwhile when we catch the back of the line they turn around and wave the rest of their party forward. I will then get upset with this. Now my kids who are 14,12,8 will say how rude it is to the adults who want by. This has worked when kids tell adults they are being rude.

The other line jumping is when the ropes are up for zig-zagging and no one is in line. Do you walk the maze to the back of the line or simply walk under ropes to catch up? Do you go under when a family has decided to walk around thus putting yourself in front of them? I guess I'm the sucker for walking around huh? That gets me steamed.:mad::mad:

I have been the victim of the young ones cutting in front (I am usually by myself so it is easy to do) and calling to the adults to catch up. The kids keep looking at me as if they expect me to say something. I don't but I do stare at them disapprovingly. On a positive note, sometimes the adults call the kids back and tell them not to cut front. At this I smile and say thank you to the adults.

I also walk around the zigzag. Disney puts the ropes up for a reason and it is a safety issue to climb over or under them. It really annoys me when people (mostly the adults because the know better) climb over or under the ropes in any instance. They have only gotten to the ride less than a minute before me. What a victory they have accomplished.

My sister is one who will not let it go and we got into an uncomfortable confrontation at DL. A group of about 10 girls got in line with a couple in front of us. My sister was so annoyed that she commented (loudly) to me that cutting lines was rude. A few of the girls turned and said they didn't cut because they were with the people they joined. My sister said that was still cutting and we had been waiting for over an hour while they were off enjoying themselves. The rest of the wait for the ride was horrible as the girls did everything they could think of to make us miserable. I try to discourage my sister from saying anything.

Seasonscraps
10-17-2008, 02:13 PM
I am pretty lucky here - I can count on one the hand the number times someone passed me in a line at Disney and it was never a big group of people. It was just a parent & child or something like that.

I do take the short cut through the zig zags but never to cut in front of someone - I'll start doing zig-zagging with them. I just save myself some steps but I wouldn't take someone else's place in line like that.