PDA

View Full Version : President's Week at the World

Ghost * Hostess
10-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi, does anyone have information on or have ever been at Disney World this time of the year? I have read it is crowded but to what extent? We usually go in November but cannot take dd away from school anymore. Need to find a time when it will not upset her school schedule. Any info will be greatly appreciated.:mickey:

TheWizofDiz
10-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Great time to go! Generally cooler weather and minimal humidity. Crowds are clearly lighter in Jan/Feb...you should have a great time!:thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
10-14-2008, 04:46 PM
President's Week can be very crowded; of course there's no telling what lies ahead for WDW during these tubulent economic times...

It is amongst the most crowded weeks of the year in Disney - behind Christmas, Easter, July Fourth, and Thanksgiving weekend.

We go every year and will be there again this February. One thing you may want to check - airfare this year is the most it has EVER been from the NY area to MCO. We're paying $400 per seat each way... :mad:

thumperbug
10-14-2008, 06:24 PM
We went Feb 08 the week NY schools were out and expected pure insanity. It really wasn't that bad...maybe because we expected the worst.

We are going the same time in Feb 09 because we too can no longer pull DS out of school.

And yes..the airfares are insane.

I live near Mac Arthur airport and got what I thought were really pricey tickets on SW...and then I was checking out Jetblue out of JFK for the same travel days and it was nearly double!!!

Iluvpooh
10-14-2008, 06:49 PM
We will aso be there that week. I hope it is not too bad.

Sharon1026
10-14-2008, 07:00 PM
President's Week can be very crowded; of course there's no telling what lies ahead for WDW during these tubulent economic times...

It is amongst the most crowded weeks of the year in Disney - behind Christmas, Easter, July Fourth, and Thanksgiving weekend.

We go every year and will be there again this February. One thing you may want to check - airfare this year is the most it has EVER been from the NY area to MCO. We're paying $400 per seat each way... :mad:

Ditto what Frank said. Prez week is usually very busy. Just check the hotel rates and you'll see that they go up quite a bit that week. The upside is that the weather is cooler, so the wait in the lines isn't as hot and brutal as it is in the summer.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
10-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I was there on Presidents Week during a conference a couple of years ago, and thought I'd pop over to the Magic Kingdom for a night. I thought it would be light on the crowd side, being that time of year and all. Boy was I wrong!! That was the most crowded I've ever seen the MK!! Literally elbow to elbow most places. YIKES!!

Ghost * Hostess
10-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone. Still have some time before we decide. Not planning to book till the end of October. I'm really not good with crowds, get panic attacks on lines like Pirates because it is inside. Feel like the walls are closing in. Oh well. Thanks for the replies.

HeyMoe
10-16-2008, 07:31 PM
We have gone two of the last three years during Presidents' week and I can tell you it is very crowded. I believe it always coincides with the Daytona 500 so you get a lot of people combining the race with a trip to WDW. One of the years we went also coincided with Mardi Gras so it felt like half the state of Louisiana was there (we were told schools in LA close the week of Mardi Gras). It is doable but I'd recommend getting there first thing in the morning and expecting large crowds by 11am.

Iluvpooh
10-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Not just Louisiana-"We folks" here in South Alabama (near Mobile) are out the week of Mardi Gras too.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
10-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Not just Louisiana-"We folks" here in South Alabama (near Mobile) are out the week of Mardi Gras too.
And EVERYBODY knows Mardi Gras was started in Mobile, not New Orleans! :)

Hey from a former Mobilian, now outside of Birmingham. And ROLL TIDE to ya!

CleveRocks
10-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Which is the more crowded week, the week BEFORE Presidents Day or the week that the Monday of Presidents Day is in? I know the weekend itself (Saturday through Monday) will be crowded, I'm just curious which WEEK is also very crowded.

I'll assume it's the week that Presidents Day is in and NOT the week before, since the week before is still Value season (for resort pricing) and the week of the holiday is Peak season.

princessesmom
10-19-2008, 11:03 AM
The week that President's Day falls in is very crowded. That is winter break in the Northeastern US and the schools are closed. Many people travel during that week. Seeing that you live in Staten Island this will directly impact you. Look for airline tickets now! Don't wait, they will only get more expensive as you get closer to the dates. We are going that week and I had to juggle our dates to get airfare that I could afford. We're flying down on 2/16 and coming back on 2/24. I was able to get airfare for $319/person for those dates. Flying on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday of President's weekend and coming back the following weekend was more than double that.

We have been that week before and it is crowded. But it is very doable if you get our early and use fastpass. Make your ADRs early. The weather is great that time of the year, a huge plus in my opinion.

With the economy being what it is, things may not be as crowded that week.

Good Luck!