PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex Opens Today in DTD

Ed
10-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Disney's new dinosaur-themed restaurant opens today

Scott Powers
Sentinel Staff Writer
October 14, 2008

T-Rex is the kind of restaurant where parents might encourage their children to go dig in the dirt before dinner.

"It's nice dirt. It's clean dirt," said Keith Beitler, Landry's Restaurants' senior vice president and chief operating officer for specialty restaurants. "It's Disney dirt."

T-Rex is a big, brash dinosaur-themed restaurant that opens today at Downtown Disney with seating for more than 620, a couple of dozen life-size robotic dinosaurs and real fossils encased in the bathroom walls. Dishes include mushroom ravioli simmering in lobster cream sauce, with Roma tomatoes and fresh spinach.

Collaborators Landry's Restaurants, Schussler Creative and Walt Disney Imagineering, the team that brought Rainforest Cafe to Walt Disney World, aimed at going way beyond that themed restaurant, to create a more interactive mix of décor, show, dining and educational flourishes that Beitler called "eattainment."

Beginning with a children's fossil-dig pit -- where an entire set of replica T-Rex bones is buried -- the restaurant combines activities, prehistoric-themed shows of light, sound and robotic creatures, and American cuisine.

"When you build the Rainforest Cafe, and we did 45 in seven years, and you do Yak & Yeti, the expectations are pretty high," said Steven Schussler, whose company developed the T-Rex concept, just as it did concepts for Landry's Rainforest Cafe chain and Disney's Yak & Yeti restaurant. "People want to know: How do you outdo yourself? How do you make it even better? We tried -- we really tried -- to go over the top."

Expectations are indeed high. The Disney T-Rex occupies a front-and-center spot at Downtown Disney, and is Disney's first big new development in its plans for a new, more family-oriented dining, shopping and entertainment area. Just last month, Disney closed six Pleasure Island nightclubs, and their more-family-oriented replacements will be up to two years away, increasing an already-apparent deficit of dining space.

"T-Rex adds some of the needed seat capacity that we are so lacking down here at this point," said Downtown Disney Vice President Kevin Lansberry. "Plus it's unique . . . highly differentiated, interactive for kids, and it fills an almost attractionlike concept as well as a dining concept."

With T-Rex, open for lunch and dinner, and with prospects for breakfast parties, Beitler hopes it can serve 2,500 to 3,000 diners a day -- as many as 1 million per year.

Landry's, which operates 31 restaurant concepts including Landry's Seafood House, and The Chart House, adapted much of the menu from its other properties, tweaking them for prehistoric flair, Beitler said. Entrées include salads, soups, meat dishes such as the Mega Mes-O-Bones ribs, pastas, seafood and sandwiches. They run from $11.99 (for an 8-ounce Bronto Burger) to $29.99 (Triceratop filet.)

"We took everything we had, and put it around the theme of the restaurant," Beitler said. "We also understand that we are feeding middle America, and we're feeding overseas. We've got to do who we are. We've got to do American cuisine, with a prehistoric flair."

There's also a full-service bar (the Shark Bar) featuring $9.99 T-Rita Cotton Tinis, and a large gift shop that features a Build-A-Dino enterprise created by Build-A-Bear Workshop, where people can put together custom-made plush toys, starting at $15.

Schussler said the restaurant was designed so that first impressions would be "wow!" The outside decor features an exact life-size replica of a 140-foot long Argentinosaurus.

Inside the front door, visitors find a panorama of the Shark Bar with its glowing glass bar, 5,000-gallon shark tank and giant, robotic octopus; a life-size, robotic, tyrannosaurus rex; themed dining areas such as the Geo-Tech Room with its flaming walls; and Ice Cave with its glowing walls.

"Obviously, people come for the 'wow' factor, but they'll come back for quality food and service that Landry's provides," Schussler said. "Without that they wouldn't be coming back."

Downtown Disney's new restaurant appeals to the 'wow' factor

600 Employees
30,000 Square feet in size
620 Seats
$11.95 to $29.95 Entrée prices
$9.99 Cotton-candy "Cotton-Tini" cocktail
7,000 Gallons of aquariums
140 Species of fish

Tinkerfreak
10-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Wow now I really can't wait to try this on oct. 31st.

mudpuppysmom
10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
We plan on surprising DS#1 in December when we go......AND it's right near the Lego store too......he is going to just go nuts.....lego store and dinos all in the same spot!!

pdrlkr
10-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks Ed! :thumbsup:

MomOfAPrincess502
10-14-2008, 11:29 AM
We walked by there last week on our trip and the place looked really awesome from the outside. Can't wait to try it on our next trip!!

baby minnie's mommy
10-14-2008, 12:27 PM
It sounds like a lot of fun! Really excited about trying it sometime! :number1:

snuggs30
10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
We are going to try it in Nov. I will keep you posted when i get back if its a yes or no! I am sure it will be a YES!:thumbsup:

SFD998
10-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Will be down there on 10/22 and plan on trying it out. I'm sure my two boys will love it (me too), but I'll keep everyone posted.

LandFan
10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
A couple of questions...

Can you make ressies via disney dining or do you have to go through T-Rex cafe?

Also, do they take DDE or Dining plan?

I am contemplating it for our Thanksgiving trip...

Tinkerfreak
10-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't think they are taking any adr's until january 2009. I think it is a walk up only.

LandFan
10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Yep - I just called and was told that - thanks!

Tinkerbella16
10-14-2008, 03:13 PM
This is on our "must do" list when we go in a few weeks. I was looking at indoor and outdoor pictures of this place, and it just looks amazing!!!! I am really glad that you can walk up until 2009...this way we will have no problems getting seated. :D

Jasper
10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Based on what is out there so far about this restaurant do you feel this would be appropriate for my wife and I and our three children who are a 23 year old daughter, 20 year old son, and 12 year old son?

Also, someone mentioned seeing photos on line for the restaurant. Can you share the address of those photos with me/us? If it is against the TOS then please don't do it.

bmj721
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
We'll be there in early Dec. DS is LOVES dinos.
:thumbsup:

Ed
10-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Based on what is out there so far about this restaurant do you feel this would be appropriate for my wife and I and our three children who are a 23 year old daughter, 20 year old son, and 12 year old son?

Also, someone mentioned seeing photos on line for the restaurant. Can you share the address of those photos with me/us? If it is against the TOS then please don't do it.

The concept is similar to Rainforest Cafe, so if you'd be comfortable there, T-Rex should be about the same.

Here's a link to the pictures that were in the Orlando Sentinel. (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/orl-t-rex-downtown-disney-photos,0,1404467.photogallery)

snuggs30
10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
This is on our "must do" list when we go in a few weeks. I was looking at indoor and outdoor pictures of this place, and it just looks amazing!!!! I am really glad that you can walk up until 2009...this way we will have no problems getting seated. :D

WOW TINKERBELLA16 we must be on the same page about things! haha We are going too during our trip! (do you have that suitcase loaded yet)? haha Maybe we will see you there!:mickey:

Tinkerbella16
10-15-2008, 12:48 PM
WOW TINKERBELLA16 we must be on the same page about things! haha We are going too during our trip! (do you have that suitcase loaded yet)? haha Maybe we will see you there!:mickey:

LOL!!! The suitcase is opened with just a couple of things inside!!! I am getting so anxious to leave! We just got all of our travel documents and DME packet in the mail yesterday...I was jumping up and down! Maybe we'll see ya at T-Rex... it'll just be my mother and I going, so if ya see 2 italian girls that look like sisters...say hi!!!! :mickey:

minnie-mouse
10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Here is their website with menu:
http://www.trexcafe.com/

Momof2boys
10-15-2008, 03:48 PM
We're hoping to get in there on our arrival night (next Friday, 10/24) as a surprise for the boys. I'm glad they're opened :thumbsup:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Can't wait to see it. DH and I are planning to go there for lunch on our arrival day. Dinner that night at Artist Pointe. YUM, YUM!!!:joy:

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5 @ the POP
( 5 weeks to go and counting, 40 days to be exact ):woohoo::yay::clappy:

RedSoxFan
10-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Looks great --- we'll have to check it out while we're down there in a few days.

Tbelle1976
10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
DS (7) is looking forward to eating there is February. We can't wait!

Meteora
10-18-2008, 11:44 AM
So are they not taking ADRs until January, or can you make one now for, say, February? (My parents will be down there and I think they'd get a kick out of this.)

glenpreece
10-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I am looking forward to eating here in Dec!!!

disneychick62
10-20-2008, 11:41 AM
a must do on our november trip!!:yay:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-20-2008, 07:17 PM
a must do on our november trip!!:yay:

Dh and I are eating their on our late November/early December trip, can't wait!!! We're actually eating there on our first day when we arrive on 11/24th, not doing the parks that day, just relaxing, eating a nice lunch @ T-REX and dinner @ Artist Point and back down to Downtown Disney in the evening. The fun at the parks will begin on the 25th.:mickey:

GOOOOOOOOOOO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::number1:

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5 @ the POP:)

Goofy_Guy
10-21-2008, 01:49 AM
I literally just got back from WDW and got to check out T-Rex on Saturday October 18th. The menu has something for everybody on it and the decor was fantastic! I had the Chicken Fried Steak, it was so tender you could cut it with a fork. Arrive early if you dont want to wait too long, our party of 3 had a wait of 90 minutes. There is also a build-a-dino store, just like the build-a-bear stores in the mall. Feel free to ask me any questions you my have.

snuggs30
10-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I literally just got back from WDW and got to check out T-Rex on Saturday October 18th. The menu has something for everybody on it and the decor was fantastic! I had the Chicken Fried Steak, it was so tender you could cut it with a fork. Arrive early if you dont want to wait too long, our party of 3 had a wait of 90 minutes. There is also a build-a-dino store, just like the build-a-bear stores in the mall. Feel free to ask me any questions you my have.

Wow I can not wait! We are going in Nov! What time do they open? And what time of the day did you go? How are the prices?

Tinkerbella16
10-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Looking at the menu, it doesn't look like its the same food as Rainforest. It does seem like theres something for everyone, which is great! I am really excited to have a nice dinner there in a couple of weeks!!! :clappy::eat::woohoo::joy:

snuggs30
10-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up! Looking at the menu, it doesn't look like its the same food as Rainforest. It does seem like theres something for everyone, which is great! I am really excited to have a nice dinner there in a couple of weeks!!! :clappy::eat::woohoo::joy:

Are you following me Tinkerbella16? hahahahaha;) Isn't this place going to be awesome! I want to be there at opening! I hopeing to catch it on Wed the 12th!! Girl I just know we are going to run into each other:marg:::high5:::joy:

P.S. My suitcase is now in my room half filled up!

Scar
10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
600 Employees

620 Seats600 employees for 620 seats? Something doesn't sound right there.

calif desert family
10-21-2008, 11:29 PM
TRex looks great. Does anyone know if its part of the Dining plan? Heading there in January 09!

snuggs30
10-22-2008, 08:42 AM
That would be awesome if it was!

Diznee4Me
10-22-2008, 10:17 AM
May have to try this in late November when we go down. Sounds awesome!