PDA

View Full Version : Now it's time for PRK!

Piglet822
10-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I looked into Lasik surgery for my eyes and had my exam today. Because of the way my eyes are I can't do the Lasik where they cut the flap but can do PRK. I'm a little nervous, especially the part about exfoliating my eye but I've read the literature and am going to do some research on the Internet.
I have it scheduled for Thursday. Has anyone here done it? Pros? Cons? Advice?

Ian
10-13-2008, 04:43 PM
I had the LASIK and it was a breeze ... best money I ever spent.

Not familiar with the PRK, though. I'm sure it's similar. I wouldn't worry about it. The LASIK was completely painless and over in a jiffy.

Jeff G
10-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I have a friend who had PRK and it went well for her. The recovery time was a little longer than my Lasik but after a few days her eyesight was excellent and she hasn't had any problems.

I had Lasik and the only negative I have is I wish I had done it sooner. I've heard this said 100's of times but I'll say it too, the money I spent on Lasik was the best money I ever spent. In vision exams since my eye sight is always better then 20/20. Plus it it so great not having to deal with glasses and contacts every day.

Piglet822
10-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Ian, PRK is similar to Lasik but it's done a bit differently. Because I have an astigmatism I'll still need glasses for close up but she said I could get those at CVS!
I'm excited and looking forward to it but nervous at the same time :)

MauiMouse
10-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Jeanne, just wanted to wish you good luck on your procedure. :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
10-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Wow, Jeanne! You're going to be the bionic woman by the time you're all done! :hug:

Good luck and :pixie: to you!

mrsgaribaldi
10-15-2008, 08:03 AM
I had Lasik and the only negative I have is I wish I had done it sooner. I've heard this said 100's of times but I'll say it too, the money I spent on Lasik was the best money I ever spent. In vision exams since my eye sight is always better then 20/20. Plus it it so great not having to deal with glasses and contacts every day.

Same here!!! I had Lasik done in 1999 and have no problems. I'm sure you'll be good too. Good luck :pixie::pixie::pixie:

beksy
10-15-2008, 09:34 AM
I haven't had it done but HATE wearing glasses and contacts so I may consider it someday. I just wanted to wish you luck and a rapid recovery! Best wishes!

BrerGnat
10-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Jeanne, my husband had PRK done a few years ago. The procedure itself was a breeze for him I got to watch! It was cool. :D

The worst part was the recovery. It was pretty painful the first night. I won't lie. He woke up a few times in pretty major pain...said it felt like his eyes were being sandblasted. He got prescription painkiller drops that he used, and we also put ice packs on his eyes and he took 800mg ibuprofen for about 2 days. After the first night, though, he did much better. Just count on spending the first 24 hours or so after the procedure with your eyes mostly closed. ;) And be sure you have someone to take care of you. DH was pretty useless.

The results have been fabulous for DH, though! Really, the best thing he could have done (and it was free, since he's in the military, they did it at the Naval hospital). Can't beat that. :thumbsup:

Piglet822
10-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Wow, Jeanne! You're going to be the bionic woman by the time you're all done! :hug:

Good luck and :pixie: to you!

Jim threatened to trade me in for a younger model - I figured if I replaced some parts he might reconsider :funny:

conorsmom2000
10-15-2008, 09:15 PM
I so wish I could have this done - I have terrible eyesight, as well as an astigmatism... But, I was also born with a condition called Cogential Nystagmus, which, short version, means my eyes shake with out me being aware of it (usually emotion related - tired, nervous, etc.) Because of it, though, contacts and eye surgery are not options.

Jeanne, I wish you the best of luck with the procedure!! I know you will do just great! :pixie: