PDA

View Full Version : The Ghosts of WDW Past

PeterPan
10-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I posted something similar to this years ago and got not a single response ... I will try again.

Are you sometimes followed around by The Ghosts of WDW Past when you visit WDW?

I have been so many times, with so many different people over the years (the main ones being my family, of course) that I cannot hardly get down the street without being FLOODED with memories. Everywhere I look, I remember some person, some incident, some conversation, some impression that I had from years ago. Often, it is multiple memories crowding in at the same time. Almost every nook and cranny holds some great memory for me.

The "Ghosts" of the past follow me all over the property. Of course, Animal Kingdom holds the fewest (because it is the newest) but even that Park is beginning to be full of my Ghosts.

It is sweet, but can also be distracting. I find myself trying to constantly tell others - "Oh, you won't believe what happened over there in 1978" or "Remember when the girls rode this for the first time in 1989" or "The first time I rode this was in 1974 with so-and-so".

I try really hard to keep my mouth shut and not babble incessantly to those with me, but still my mind and thoughts are flooded with sensations, sounds, impressions, tastes, smells, and thoughts of the past. No other place on earth holds so many wonderful memories for me, not even my home town that I grew up in.

Are there any more of you who, when visiting WDW, you are constantly followed by all these wonderful Ghosts from the past?

Nut4DW
10-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I too feel the "ghosts" of previous trips when I go to the World. I think I especially think of my first trip in 1978 - my parents took me and my best friend after we graduated from high school. I always think of my dad when I'm in the Magic Kingdom and feel a little like he's there with me - which makes me both happy and sad - but mostly happy. I cannot ride Space Mountain without thinking of my friend and how she screamed her head off the entire ride. That's one reason I love the place so much - all those memories - and God willing, I'll make more this December! :mickey:

wdwfansince75
10-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes, there are "ghosts", special memories of special people. Some are of family members and friends who are no longer with us, and some are of family members at an earlier time. There are places that have always cause memories to flash back. I have been caught smiling for no apparent reason, as I fondly remember earlier visits with the people who have been so important to me. I have said, "Do you remember...." and DW and our kids, and now, our grandkids sometimes say, "Do you remember.....". It does happen more at WDW than anywhere else....and that old song, "Making Memories" is again playing in my head. I am sitting here (not at WDW, unfortunately), with scenes of past trips flashing through my mind.....special rides, like a per-opening monorail ride with DS#2 and my late FIL to the then under construction EPCOT center....or the back to back to back...ect...rides on Space Mtn with DD#1....or the silly paddle boat ride (with the wind blowing us away from the dock) with DS#1 and DD#1.....or joining DMIL and DD#2 for yet another ride on "If you had wings".....or any number of rides with kids and grandkids.....Special meals, including Christmas dinner with all our kids and grandkids at Hollywood and Vine....DW and her frequent visitors, the ducks, turkeys, or ibises....or even the Blue Heron who stood on our patio at the CR North Wing.....By the way, Herons love cheese puffs!
Thank you for this thread....I will still have this silly grin on my face when I go to bed tonight!

LauraleeH
10-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh, I've seen those ghosts. Some are good and some are bad.

Those are some of the best memories I will ever have, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Nice thread :thumbsup:

disneymom15
10-13-2008, 02:44 PM
It's funny, while I'm reading these threads all kinds of memories came flooding in. Each one leads to another, I also have a smile on my face just thinking about past trips.

dmosher
10-13-2008, 02:53 PM
I totally get this. I have been to WDW with DW quite a few times now, but every so often, my mind still flashes back to spending time with my (sadly past on) best friend there. Nothing sad really, just occasional things you do, or rides at certain moments, etc.

These memories of the past are important and help us to remember key people or elements/moments in our lives. We should be thankful that those memories are attached to a place we can always come back to and remember. The fact that we can share those moments again and again with new friends/family members is an added bonus; as far as I'm concerned.
:pipes:
D

quackaddict
10-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Oh how those Ghosts follow me around! Especially for me @ Epcot center, from the early years. So many memories from so many trips. I could get lost in the memories for a week solid if I let myself.

Jeff
10-13-2008, 07:33 PM
My wife and I definitely do this. Luckily for us, we both enjoy to talk about "when we were here in 19__ and such and such happened".:thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
My ghosts aren't at Disney though - I tell all the stories in class, to others at work, to my friends, to my family.

In fact, a lot of them have heard the same stories repeatedly because there are so many.

pianobabe
10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
My main "ghostly" event happened this year. I'll start with a little background. My brother Rob hated the song for It's a Small World. I don't mean he didn't like it, he HATED it. Being the wonderful big sister I am, I always would give him a hard time about it. Last July, he had just had surgery when DH and I went to WDW. To aid in his "recovery", I called him on my cell phone and made him listen to the song. He laughed and told me how "mean" I was. Well, Rob died very unexpectedly in April. Even though I enjoy Small World, I seriously considered not getting on it. But, I rode it anyway, I knew I needed too. I did okay at first, but once we went under the sign and really got into the ride I cried like a baby. I couldn't call Rob this year and give him a hard time. That was difficult. I think the memory of calling him will be my "ghost" forever, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If I could only hear him laugh again, it would be such a sweeter memory.

PeterPan
10-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks everyone!

I think all of the respondants actually "get it."

THANK YOU for understanding about my "ghosts."

DizRunner
10-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Pianobabe, let me say that that is a very touching story. I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. I'm sure everytime you ride IASW, your brother will be riding along enjoying it with you.

Here's my story. My family went to WDW back in '72 and rode the HM. As a 7 yeard old, it scared me to death. Mainly because of my cousin's HM album, seeing the scenes and having nightmares. Then going to WDW and seeing these scenes in real life.

Well, I rode with my mom and older sister in the doombuggy. My mom and sister laughed and laughed and loved it. I cried and screamed.

After we got off and I was still crying, I explained that it was my nightmares brought to life. We all laugh about it now.

Everytime I would ride the HM as an adult, I would think about the first time I rode it. I think I love the ride so much more because I was soooo scared the first time I rode it. And I always think of my mom. I think it was her love of theme parks that rubbed off onto me and is why I love them so much.

Well, mom passed away 2 1/2 years ago. And this past January I went down to WDW by myself to run the in the half marathon. I went straight to the HM when I went to the MK and rode it 3 times in a row because of no lines. I just love it. I was going to go eat after the third time but then I thought, "Oh man, I've got to ride it again!" Something was telling me to ride it again.

Well I rode it again for the fourth time in a row and when I got out of my doombuggy there were two CM handing out dreams. I got a pin lanyard that I was thrilled to get. I got a dream! Was it my mother telling me to ride the HM again...maybe. Anyway, I always think of Mom and how much she enjoyed the HM.

Ian
10-16-2008, 08:30 AM
I definitely know what you mean.

For me, it's mostly about my Dad. He was the one who got me hooked on Disney when I was little. He was a child of the 50's, so Uncle Walt and the Mickey Mouse Club and Disneyland ... that was all a huge part of his growing up.

He and my Mom had been to Disneyland when I was just a baby, but once Disney World opened up he took the family just as soon as he could.

We went in 1974 with my Aunt and Uncle and that was it. I was hooked from that time on. We went 4 more times as a family, the last time being in 1981.

My brother and I always wanted to go back down with my Dad, but it never happened. He passed away suddenly in 1997 ... before we were able to plan another trip.

So suffice it to say that when I go, I often see ghosts of my Dad standing off to the side and watching as his son, his daughter-in-law, and his two grandchildren enjoy the place he introduced them to.

PeterPan
10-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Friends!

These are truly inspiring stories.

Thank you so much!

Again, I thought I was the only who who had Ghosts following me all over WDW...

"Apparantly" I am not!