PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on my Christmas ADR's

artyboy
10-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Ho!

Taking (it seems like) my whole family to Disney for Christmas (There will be 6 adults and 2 kids).

The kids (4 and 7) have never been, and neither has my older sister or brother in law (in their 50's). My brother and sister in law (in their 30's-40's) haven't been for almost 15 years. I really tried to get something that would appeal to everyone.

I'd love opinions on my choices.

December 24th - Early Dinner at Whispering Canyon - We've never been, but I thought the kids would enjoy it. We booked it as early as we could, as the little ones will be exhausted from the trip.

December 25th - Early-ish Dinner at San Angel Inn - We haven't gone for a long time, but thought the kids would like the theme, and my brother in law would enjoy the :marg:. Has anyone been lately?

December 26th - Early Dinner at O'Hana's - ...'nuff said!

December 27th - Evening Dinner for the Grown up's at Citrico's - Taking the kids to the Neverland Club and having a leisurely meal for our last night. I noticed the menu has changed...anybody tried it recently?

That's all for now! Thanks for checking it out!:mickey:

BW Fan
10-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I like all of your choices except San Angel Inn. We love the Mexico pavillion, and consider it a must see; however, the service we received on our last visit at San Angel Inn was horrible. I took two hours and with small children that was really not acceptable. If you have 2-3 hours for dinner Christmas, the theming is good and the food is ok, but the service is very slow. Margaritta's may help the time issue for the adults, not sure what will help the kids.

Natazu
10-14-2008, 05:28 AM
Your plans look great. I think you'll all have a merry blast.

December 27th - Evening Dinner for the Grown up's at Citrico's - Taking the kids to the Neverland Club and having a leisurely meal for our last night. I noticed the menu has changed...anybody tried it recently?I had some of the new items at Chef's Domain when Phillip and Erich were toying with them. We'll also have an opportunity for a menu degustation in early December. Is there something in particular you're wondering about?

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-14-2008, 08:36 AM
We didn't really think the food at San Angel was all that great, but the theming is very cool...haven't tried the others

artyboy
10-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the advise...I am kinda struggling with San Angel, but there aren't many places that have room for a party of 8 on Christmas day. That is the only choice that I'm questioning. I'm hoping that the theme-ing keeps everyone happy, and that the service isn't too slow.

We didn't make reservations for lunch, as I wanted to gauge how the kids were doing. We'll most likely do counter service. Breakfast will be in the villa (we got a 2 Bedroom at SSR).

Natazu: I'm just wondering if the food equals the new pricing. I have no problem dropping some cash for a great meal, but I want that night to be special as it's our only "adult" night, and the last night of the trip.

What kind of things did you try, and how were they?

Rich

pdrlkr
10-14-2008, 11:20 AM
They look awesome! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Airblue1
10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Sounds like you nailed it

Natazu
10-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Natazu: I'm just wondering if the food equals the new pricing. I have no problem dropping some cash for a great meal, but I want that night to be special as it's our only "adult" night, and the last night of the trip.

What kind of things did you try, and how were they?

Rich
What sets a great restaurant apart from a good one is consistency, and Citricos has it. I think it's a great way to end a trip. As a consumer, I hate to see prices go up but that's the marketplace right now. The restaurants that are utilizing fresh ingredients and the highest quality meats will be the first ones to have to respond to the increased food cost. With everything going up, we have to adjust our idea of value.

New Items:
Filet Jardiniere: It’s a little off the “tuscan” theme and closer to “hey, try this Italian version of a French cheesesteak”. The flavors combine well and the steak is of course consistently tender and juicy. The veggies are a little crisp for my taste but that’s the style.

Goat Cheese Truffles: The spices in which the goat cheese balls (yeah, I said it) were rolled are delightfully complimentary to the robust cheese though I could do without the chili powder. The frisée was, well, fancy lettuce. No harm, no foul, Phil. The arugula was fresh, offering an abundance of flavor and in combination with the smoked bacon (Applewood, I think) was excellent.

Spiced and Seared Tuna Carpaccio: It’s basically tartare in a citrusey salad. While it looks like something you find on in a Klingon kitchen, it’s a really great way to tease the palate before one’s meal while still leaving room for plenty of entrée.