PDA

View Full Version : Seating at 'Ohana

fanofdisney
10-12-2008, 07:12 AM
I read some posts about people being seated in the back area of 'Ohana's where you can't really see all that is going on. Is it possible to request to not be seated there? We are going to be a group of 11 with some small children who will enjoy the activity out front and watching the electrical water pageant. I would be disappointed if we were seated back there.:(

BigRedDad
10-12-2008, 08:40 AM
I am going from memory and this could be way off. We had dinner and breakfast there in April. Both times, groups of 8 or more were always placed in the center of the restaurant on the grill side. This may just have been poor observation. Ask the hostess before hand to see if there is anything she can do.

GOLFDISNEY72
10-12-2008, 09:29 AM
We have been 3 times. The first time we were a party of 12. The did seat us in the back area where we could not see them cooking. We did not know any better and still had a great time. The next time we were seated by the grill and it was a completely different experience. Make sure you tell them you do not wish to be seated in the back.

Pirate Granny
10-12-2008, 09:48 AM
We were just there for breakfast...and I never even saw a grill...but we were seated over in the corner by the windows...but we would not have been able to see the electrical parade...
:pirate:

dixielandings
10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
I've seen that area at 'Ohana and have hoped not to be seated there - so far, so good. Dh and I ALWAYS request to be moved to a different table if we don't like the one they seat us at to start with. Including last Tuesday at Garden Grill (E). It's just too expensive and the experience so once-in-a-lifetime to sit at so-so table. The CMs may give you a hard time or make it seem like a big deal - stick to your guns. Disney ultimately want you to be satisfied.

Keneva
10-12-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure what will happen at Ohana's if you request a better seat but at Chef Mickeys there is a similar "bad seat area" that they tried to seat us (DW, DD7 & DS3) in this past August. It was a separate section in the corner that was partially walled off with construction plywood. No atmospher at all. When they said our table was ready, I asked where and she pointed to the dreary corner. I asked firmly but nicely to be seated over in the main dining area and the CM rudely stated that we would have to wait another 1/2 hour to sit there. I said fine and 15 minutes later we were seated where we wanted. It was well worth the wait as we now have great memories of a fun time instead of a bad memory of accepting a cruddy table just so Disney could eak out a few more bucks. Not at my expense! Go for the good table!:thumbsup:

fanofdisney
10-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Do I make a request ahead of time or wait until we check in? With our large party I don't want to have to wait an extra hour for our table.

ElenitaB
10-12-2008, 08:14 PM
I would suggest that you arrive early for your ADR and make your request. However, your entire party should be there in case (by some miracle) you are seated early. There is an area with seats outside 'Ohana where you all can sit and chat (and order a pre-dinner cocktail), and catch up as a group.

We've been seated in both areas of the restaurant and I almost enjoyed being away from the hustle and bustle (and the singing lady). I actually could hear my dinner companions.

TheRustyScupper
10-12-2008, 09:45 PM
1) People can always request different seats, except at HDDR and Luau.
2) However, large groups are at the discretion of the eatery.
3) You are placed where they can bundle tables.
4) At WCC and Ohana, those spots are usually in the back.
5) Any eatery triesy not to bundle tables in the area of the "main flow".
. . . there is less yield per table, as they lose two seats per table *
. . . the turnover of the tables is slower
. . . it takes too many servers from prime space

* when tables are pushed together, you use two sides of the table, not four sides

Polynesian Dweller
10-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Do I make a request ahead of time or wait until we check in? With our large party I don't want to have to wait an extra hour for our table.

Try to do it ahead of time. Reason. The restaurant has to put tables together for a large group. That means, two or three tables in one area have to clear before they can put them together. If you just show up, then you have to wait for those three tables to clear. The restaurant won't be being rude saying it may be another half hour if yo just show up, the people already there have the right ot finish leisurely.

But, if they know you are coming and want a specific area they can try and plan to do that. They will have planned for one area but not necessarily the one you want if you don't tell them. But as Rusty says, they don't like doing main areas because that does cost them in terms of turnover. And don't be surprised if the request isn't met, everyone coming to the restaurant is also wanting to see the action at Ohana. The restaurant cannot meet everyone's hopes. Someone will be at the back.

Wickster1970
10-12-2008, 10:23 PM
I remember seeing a post a few weeks ago about someone getting bad seats at Whispering Canyon.
I guess most of the restaurants have a bad table or two.

Polynesian Dweller
10-12-2008, 10:41 PM
I remember seeing a post a few weeks ago about someone getting bad seats at Whispering Canyon.

Every restaurant has 'bad' seats but the definition depends on the individual customers. Some like to be at the windows, some like 'intimate' corners, some like to be in the middle, some at the back near the kitchen etc. etc. Any table can be 'bad' if its not the type a customer likes. In our hotel's restaurant, I think we had complaints about every tables. We also had compliments for them all. Go figure. But if you're fully booked, you can't meet all requests and that's Disney's biggest problem, their TS service restaurants are full all the time so a lot of people aren't going to get the 'perfect' table.

TheRustyScupper
10-13-2008, 06:53 PM

1) WCC has a group of tables behind the wall.
2) They like to put larger groups there.