PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Holiday

Fuskie
10-12-2008, 12:45 AM
DB1 (Dear Brother #1) has asked me to help him plan a surprise trip to WDW during their annual trip to FL to visit his MIL in Miami during the holidays (exact dates in late december TBD). DB1 and SIL have 2 kids, ages 8 (9 in Jan) and 15. They do not have much money and have never really gone on a purely fun vacation. DB1 suggested they stay at the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (they are no strangers to camping).

The reason DB1 came to me was that since 1998, I have gone down to WDW 7 times for a week of Braves Spring Training and the theme parks. Although that trip is only in March, I know the parks and resorts pretty well. I have already learned that AAA, my usual source for deals, has no discounts during the holiday season. Can I assume that is true across the board with other travel agencies? Is the weather OK in December for camping?

Any information and suggestions y'all could provide would be appreciated. I have already told DB1 that he is late to the game and that he has to move quickly to book his trip and make dining reservations. He is mostly interested in taking the kids to the parks and not so much into the holiday experience.

Fuskie
Who appreciates any input you can provide...

MIKESMOM
10-12-2008, 05:58 AM
I would contact Magical Journeys. They are the BEST!

Janmac
10-12-2008, 02:46 PM
I agree, contact Magical Journeys. There's a link at the top left. Used to do all the booking myself but the last 3 trips I've left the booking to MJ. Very glad I've done that.

We camped at FW in early December, 2006, with a campsite and a Wilderness Home. If memory serves we did have a discount come through on the Wilderness Home but not the campsite.

Campsite prices seem high if you're used to camping in state parks, and Forest Service campgrounds but even DH says it's worth it at FW. We've stayed at private campgrounds with far fewer amenities, cheek by jowl with our neighbors, for $40+ a night.

$82 per site which is the posted holiday campsite cost is high because everyone likes to camp over Christmas. DB#1 may think he is not so much into the holiday experience, but he may think differently after seeing some of the campsite decorations at FW. They are nothing short of phenomenal.

If he could possibly swing a stay before Christmas, leaving for Miami on 19 December, the price is much better and the decorations will already be there.

Assuming he can get a site. They are likely booked - which is why he'd do best to check with Magical Journeys.

Camping during the holidays - I'm assuming they're tent camping - shouldn't be too bad. Overnight lows can get cold - one night during our December trip the temperature was about 45 degrees at supper time. This was the first week of December. The next week the lows were in the 60s. December is probably preferable to July, for tent camping.

If your brother contacts MJ, he might ask about discounts for one of the Value Resorts as well as site availability at FW. If bookings are down, Disney will discount the rates to get more room occupancy. The campgrounds generally have been being full over the holidays. With first gas and then the Wall Street drops, perhaps this season will be different. There are something like several thousand rooms at the Value Resorts while there are only 700 or so campsites.

Being this late may work in his favor and he can get a cancellation. Again, Magical Journeys is the way to go - his travel agent can keep checking for him.

He needs to be sure to bring some Christmas lights down with him. :D

Sure hoping he can make this work - that'd be so special.

Jan

Fuskie
10-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the first hand information. I should clarify, the reason DB1 is not so much into the Christmas atmosphere is that we are Jewish. I am concerned that campsites get heavy use during the holidays, so clearly the first thing I have to do is get him to lock in his dates. Things are further complicated by both kids being in different schools, with winter breaks usually just before christmas.

Once I sell DB1 on the resort, I think I want to sell him on a multi-day ticket and dinner package (his kids can eat). My nephew (15) won't care so much about character meals but my niece (9) will probably enjoy a Princess breakfast. I would love to send them to the Hoop-Dee-Doo Reveiw, but SIL is a vegitarian and is very vocal about her kids eating healthy. Since they tend to be self-sufficient, I am hoping they can conserve meal coupons to double up for the Review.

Truth is, there are so many things I want for them on this trip and I know I can't make all the magic happen in such a short period, so I have to figure out what is the best magic for their experience. They are energetic, althletic troopers, so I will probably try to get them into parks early and stay all day rather than paying extra for a parkhopper option.

I want to make sure they see Fantasmic, Illuminations and Spectromagic, but do not think they will be interested in paying extra for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I want them to experience Soarin' and the new Spaceship Earth, the Nemo musical and Everest, Toy Story Mania and Tower of Terror, and maybe 2 days at Magic Kingdom if I can get them to stretch the trip to 5 days.

So much planning, so little time.

Fuskie
Who looked into the Value family suites, but at over $200 per night thinks that will not be a welcomed option...

TheRustyScupper
10-12-2008, 09:55 PM
1) If you want the campground, make up you mind, FAST.
2) it fills to capacity quickly around the holidays.
3) As for your brother, have him celebrate Chanukah late or Kwanzaa early. :thumbsup:

Fuskie
10-14-2008, 07:58 PM
It appears only premium campsites are available during the holidays. And while the value resorts are all booked (or reserved) after Xmas, Disney is offering discounts for the week before, so I am concentrating on that.

Fuskie
Who thinks everyone for their support...