PDA

View Full Version : what would YOU do?

morebroccoli
10-11-2008, 09:34 PM
soo last year i went to disney the first week of feb. splash mountain was closed the entire time. 2 days ago i purchased plane tickets for our trip we are planning for jan 6-13 of 09, a month earlier than we went last year to hopefully miss the closing of the same ride again. well i checked today and found out that splash mountain will be closed during our visit again this year. i really cant believe how upset i am about this. i mean its only 1 ride.. but apparently it means a lot more to me than i even realized. i know going to the parks in off season you risk ride refurbishments or what not, but two years in a row. ARGH i am so, well, mad! soo the question is, what would you do? i really feel this ride being down for the 2nd straight trip will kinda put a damper on the trip for me personally. sooo should i just pay the 400 bucks (that i dont have) it will cost to change the flight? should i convince myself i really wont be missing anything by this ride being down? i am trying everything i can to make myself feel better about this but nothing is working. what would you do? i know i am lucky to be able to go to WDW at all but i also know i could have picked anytime of the year to go and i feel sooo mad that i seemed to pick the wrong week. (again)

mdhiggin
10-11-2008, 09:43 PM
That would be annoying, but there is no one ride I would pay 400 bucks for.

KylesMom
10-11-2008, 10:10 PM
sooo should i just pay the 400 bucks (that i dont have) it will cost to change the flight? I think you just answered your own question. If you don't have it, don't sweat it. Go and have a great time! I agree, no ride (or several rides combined) is worth a $400 change fee! We've gone at peak summer time and hit PotC and HM closures, but we wouldn't have changed our trip because of them. Just something to look forward to the next time!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-11-2008, 11:13 PM
think of it as forcing you to make another trip to disney next year... :o)

tink179
10-11-2008, 11:57 PM
This is the first January that we have been able to go when it WAS open! Last year and the year before it, it was closed. So, I did deal with it for 2 years in a row! We survived, but like you i was sad! My son who is 5 1/2 wasn't able to ride it last year and it would've been his first time. We had a great trip anyway!!! There will be so many other things to enjoy. Don't let it bother you. Save your money for extra souvenirs or maybe there will be a P&P party!! You can use that money for the tickets! :mickey:

DizneyRox
10-12-2008, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't go in the off-season.

THe off-season is when Disney can afford (I use that term lightly) to have attractions closed. Park capacity is determined by many things, but open attractions are one of them. Since there are less people coming (hence the season being called off-season), they don't need to pack 50,000, or whatever the park capacity is, into Magic Kingdom. So, they can close attractions and still let everyone that wants to come to MK in the turnstyles.

Water rides and such typically close during the winter. It's iffy at best as to if you'll even be able to really enjoy the ride. It might just be too cold, so why not take it off-line and do whatever it is they need to do.

We can just hope they actually ARE doing something to it though, and not just closing it so they don't have to staff it. That would be considered a cut back, and don't get me started on that...

GrumpyFan
10-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Wow, I feel for you. That really stinks!

The first 9 times I went to Epcot, and tried to ride Test Track, it either broke down, or was being refurbed. So, just try to make the best of it and enjoy the trip with the fewer people that will be there.

BugeyedMuggy
10-12-2008, 06:22 PM
First, accept the ride is closed, again, and enjoy your vacation anyway. Email Disney stating your disappointment. You might feel better getting it off your chest.

When you check in, explain what happened and that you understand why but you are still feeling like you are missing some magic. You might get some pixie dust. Heres some to hold you over.:pixie::pixie:

Helann10
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I hate when that happens for the trip we made last year both SM ans RNRC were closed, we still had tons of fun and it just made deciding on this trip a lot easier

chrisb26
10-12-2008, 08:23 PM
I know how you feel I've been down there before to find my favorite ride closed :(

However I do have to agree with what the others have said that it probably isn't worth the $400 it will cost you to change. If it wouldn't cost anything and it was fine for you to change I would say go ahead and do it but I don't think Splash Mtn or any ride is worth $400.

morebroccoli
10-12-2008, 10:02 PM
This is the first January that we have been able to go when it WAS open! Last year and the year before it, it was closed. So, I did deal with it for 2 years in a row!

wow, just knowing i'm not the only one that this has happened to weirdly makes me feel better. i mean of course it stinks it was closed twice for someone else but hmmm, i just dont feel so alone anymore with my frustration.

thanks for the advice everyone! it really does help to just be able to come here and vent and have people out there that actually understand some of the unexpected frustrations that sometimes come with going to wdw! you all have made me feel a bit better about this. i think i just might survive 2 trips of splash mountain refurbishments!

mouseketeer mom
10-13-2008, 08:45 AM
think of it as forcing you to make another trip to disney next year... :o)
Totally agreed. Once we planned our first dream to WL, and then they refurbed the pool. Only the quiet pool was open!! We were crushed at first, then realized, we'd just have to come back. And realistically, once you're there, you get caught up in so much other "magic", that it doesn't seem as important. Go on your trip and enjoy what's there!

Ian
10-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I know it will be disappointing, but if you can't afford the $400 to change your flight you can't consider that a serious option. Especially not in this economy.

Go, enjoy yourself, and consider this a reason to start planning another trip as soon as you return. Maybe you'll get a good bounceback offer!

TinkerbellT421
10-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Well if it means anything that means its actually the third year in a row that they do that with Spalsh Mountain. I have been wanting to ride that for the past two years and its been closed and now with this information seeing we will be there also from the 1/6 to 1/16 that I will miss it again this year...thats three trips in a row for me! :thedolls: I was devastated just now when I read your post!

d_m_n_n
10-15-2008, 12:27 PM
I would keep your trip as planned!! That is a lot of money for a single ride. But look at it this way, the $400 to change flights could be a nice down payment on a future trip!!!