PDA

View Full Version : Adding on question

TooGoofy
10-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Hello all,
I need your advice. I am almost done paying off my DVC loan for our AKL points. I was able to pay off the 10 year loan in 2 years! Yay me!

We are now thinking about purchasing some add-on points.

However, we would like to purchase points at Beach Club (preferably) or Boardwalk (our second choice). We'd like to purchase 50 or 60 points only. (We're thinking we'd use them every third year to spend Christmas at Disney).

Do we have to purchase through resale for something like this or could we purchase directly through Disney? Does anyone have any advice about the pros and cons of purchasing resale?

Thanks in advance!

thumperbug
10-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Start with DVC directly. When a DVC owner goes to sell, DIsney is given first right of refusal meaning they have to pass on buying it before it can be sold to someone else.

So, there might be in their inventory the resorts you want and the amt of points. Contact your sales agent first.

There is a link in the column on the left for DVC resales...it is an Intercot sponsor and from what I hear a very reliable place to purchase additional points

dlpmikki
10-11-2008, 11:01 AM
If you manage to buy from Disney you will pay the current price - around $100 a point or so. If you buy resale the per point cost will be much lower but there will be closing costs to consider. I have used Intercot's sponsors to buy some resale points and was very happy with their service. You can follow the link in my signature to have a look at their website to see pricing options.

DizneyRox
10-11-2008, 11:15 AM
It would probably be much cheaper to go resale, if you can find a contract that small. The problem will be in managing your different use years probably. I would be very reluctant to buy a contract witht he sole intention of using it for peak holiday seasons. Sounds like you're betting the farm on getting exactly what you want at the exact week. It's good to buy at the place you want to stay (to get the 11 month window), but still risky.

Just a thought, we've never had a problem, but we made sure we had enough points each year to do what we want. Banking and borrowing gets restrictive as soon as trouble rears her ugly head.