PDA

View Full Version : A Norwegian newspaper's take on the Norway Pavilion at Epcot

OleDoleDoffin
10-11-2008, 06:50 AM
This is from the English-language news service run by Aftenposten, Oslo's largest newspaper and one that is read nationwide: Epcot Pavilion Frozen in Time (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article2701530.ece)

You mean somebody finally noticed? :silly:

BugeyedMuggy
10-11-2008, 08:21 AM
I love the Norway pavilion! I have never been to your city, but I would love too see it. I'm not much of a world traveler so the closest I will get for awhile is EPCOT. Maybe 20 years from now I will finally get to Oslo and what your experiencing now will be 20 years behind.

On that note, are there any other ways for fans to get a taste of Norway without making the flight across the pond?

King Triton
10-11-2008, 08:48 AM
To be honest, the Norway pavilion (and film) is one of the few in the World Showcase that actually makes me want to visit the country.

But, I agree its time to update the film. Canada and China have had recent updates; I would think Norway and/or France would soon also.

What I don't know is what the arrangement Disney has with the country. Does the country produce and create the film and turn it over to Disney, or does Disney run the whole project?

DNS
10-11-2008, 11:07 AM
I too am a fan of this pavilion, but I can see why an outdated film would not be appreciated by people from Norway.
I have never understood how the financing works either. Or who has responsibility for upgrades.

Goes4FastPass
10-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Details like the film at the Norway Pavilion are one of the ways Disney lets attractions get old looking before they should.

The problem with making something contemporary - "with time" - is time moves on and up-to-the-minute looks dated before it looks nostaligic.

Polynesian Dweller
10-11-2008, 11:48 AM
What I don't know is what the arrangement Disney has with the country. Does the country produce and create the film and turn it over to Disney, or does Disney run the whole project?
In some ways the country is the producer in that funding, at least partially, has to come from the country. In Canada's case, it began very much like that article. A lot of Canadians got unhappy with the outdated Canada film. Some influential Canadians, not government, started working on the problem and after several years managed to get funding and government backing. Then they were able to go to Disney and get it re-done. But the bottom line is that Disney is not necessarily the culprit here. The pavillion is a cooperative venture and the country has to decide changes should be made. Quite rightly, Disney does not make the decisions on how to present the country to the world.

MickeysEars
10-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Imagine going to another country and seeing a film that is about America tha is set in 1980. that is almost 30 years ago. We had a Atari not a PS3, no cell phones, not even a cordless phone, my cable box still had to be changed manually, and cable consisted of MTV, HBO, and Showtime. we now have, 800 channels. I think that it should be updated...Just for the haircuts ;)

Auroring Good Time
10-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I love the Norway pavillion in Epcot. It reminds me of when I went to Norway in 1994 to see the Olympics. I went to an old church, I believe from the 15th century and saw a boys choir. They were amazing. It was a great trip to a beautiful country. I would love to go back some time, maybe on the Disney Magic in 2010....

Crow
10-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Update time
the film does need it

Daisy'sMom
10-12-2008, 10:56 AM
:mickey:I still love it!

Goofy Forever
10-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I too love the Norway pavillion as my great-grandfather came to America from Norway.

But I don't even stay and watch the film anymore because I've seen it several hundred times.

kbean
10-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Wow, thats been open for 20 yrs....I feel old now.

Imagineer1981
10-13-2008, 10:51 AM
personally I still think the whole attraction needs an overhaul, make it longer and more exciting. Also update the film

PeterPan
10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
My goodness how time does fly. I remember the area being walled up, and then watching to see what would peek over the wall (the spires of the Stave Church). It was so EXCITING to see a NEW pavilion open in World Showcase. Now it has been 20 years - my goodness!

I always watch the film. I never skip it. My family does - they walk right through. For years, you had no choice. You were not allowed to walk right through. I LOVE the film, but can see now how outdated it must seem to Norwegians. It was a very innovative and inspiring film - in many ways it still is.

EJS-Houston
10-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I love the Norwegian Pavilion and never miss it when I visit...and while I do watch the film, the point is well taken that we wouldn't want American culture represented by a film shot in the 80s...so let's hope this article spurs the Norwegian government to film an update.

mcjaco
10-13-2008, 03:41 PM
I too am a fan of this pavilion, but I can see why an outdated film would not be appreciated by people from Norway.
I have never understood how the financing works either. Or who has responsibility for upgrades.

I may not have the entire story correct, but I believe that Norway cut ties with Disney on the entire pavillion, as they felt it was too costly, and they weren't seeing a good return on investment in terms of tourist visits.

Without any real sponsorship, things like the film are going to be pushed to the wayside, and they'll make the nice Norwegian restaurant a Princess meet and greet buffet. Oh wait, they did that already! :ack:

The Norway pavilions fall from grace, is all on Disney's shoulders.

TheRustyScupper
10-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I may not have the entire story correct, but I believe that Norway cut ties with Disney on the entire pavillion, as they felt it was too costly, and they weren't seeing a good return on investment in terms of tourist visits.

1) Yep.
2) However, Disney has shown not to be a great investment. *
3) There are better ways to spend advertising money.
4) There have been several well publicized defections of sponsors.
5) But, no countries as of yet.
6) And, when Norway backed out, there was talk of other countries.
7) This is also why there have been no new additions of countries.
8) Companies and tourist bureaus want a return for their sponsorship bucks.

* Disney is obviously a good brand, but they have been getting terrible press internationally for their major guffaws - such as Disney Paris, Paris Studios, Hong Kong, California Adventure. In the eyes of money-men, that is hard to overcome when recruiting visitors.

Cinderelley
10-15-2008, 05:01 AM
Hmmm, I never, ever thought of visiting Norway in my whole entire life until I went to Epcot. Now, it is one of my must-dos when the kids are grown. I wonder how many people are in the same boat. Maybe they haven't waited long enough for the investment to have a return.

January-2007
10-15-2008, 07:00 AM
I like the film very much just the way it is. It does make me want to visit Norway.

Polynesian Dweller
10-15-2008, 08:51 AM
The Norway pavilions fall from grace, is all on Disney's shoulders.
Didn't know about that part but its not really that different from the Canadian situation. It was non-government parties here that got the ball rolling to replace the film. The government hasn't had much interest in the Canadian pavillion for quite a long time. Whether they formally withdrew I don't know but in practical terms yes they have.