PDA

View Full Version : This night owl must become an early bird!

DisneyDudet
10-10-2008, 02:52 PM
So, out of all my years here on Intercot, and the trials and tribulations of nursing school, plus my worries about working with people as a new nurse becoming charge nurse, I now have a new phase...

I am now going to doing Charge on day shift! I have been working night shift since April of 2007, and a Charge Nurse on nights since about November of 2007. They need a core charge nurse on nights, and I was asked to do it. I will be taking a pay cut, by not getting differentials, but the other day charge and I worked it out where we would both be picking up an extra day or two each month. She is used to working 60 hours a week, merely for the money, but her 6 year old daughter has started to act out, and mentioned to her that she is feeling like she's playing second fiddle to work. So, now she feels like she needs to cut back her hours.

Now, I will be working hand in hand with doctors, instead of calling them. It will be a lot more fast paced, among other things. I am nervous. I was supposed to have a week or so, just to orient to the shift, then a week to orient to Day Charge. Well, I got a call from my Boss Man (what I call him), and he told me that I will start on orientation to Day Charge THIS SUNDAY!!! I was extremely surprised, as I was told, through the grapevine, that it would be in a week or so. This really is a shock!

So, I ask for your prayers and pixie dust as I transition to this new role. It will be similar, but a whole lot more important. I just want the staff to welcome me, and that it won't be as bad as I am thinking it will be!

Stitchahula
10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Congrats I'm sure you'll do great

DizNee143
10-10-2008, 03:21 PM
goodluck..im sure everythign will go fine!! :mickey:

Beast_fanatic
10-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm sure it will be fine. :thumbsup:

Good luck! :magic:

MNNHFLTX
10-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the world of daylight, Morgan! ;)

I did the night shift for two years after graduation and I am most definitely not a night owl. So when I transferred to day shift (many, many years ago) I was ecstatic! Yes, there is a much faster pace (plus three meals to hand out, more insulin and other meds to give, as well as more diagnostic tests and procedures), but I like interacting with the patients/families and the doctors and the day really flies by.

Good luck to you with the transition and with your charge duties!:)

Piglet822
10-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Good luck in your new role, Morgan :hug: I'm sure you're going to do just fine.
I had my knee surgery today and had 2 wonderful nurses working with me - it really helped me relax and made it seem not so bad after all :)

LauraleeH
10-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey, that's awesome, I'll be praying for an easy transition! :thumbsup:

KylesMom
10-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Prayers and pixie dust as requested, Morgan. But you're going to do great! Congrats on this new, big step up! :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
10-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Congratulations:thumbsup: I'm sure you will be great. Good luck:mickey:

weswerx
10-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Congratulations and don't worry, you'll do fine.
Just be careful, until you get used to it, that sunlight burns.
Have fun!

conorsmom2000
10-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Congratulations Morgan and best of luck to you!!! :mickey: I know it will all work out great! :thumbsup:

pianobabe
10-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Congratulations, that is great. The shift change will take some getting use too. I went from working 4 8-hour night shifts for almost 5 straight years to working 3 12-hour day shifts. I felt like a new person. I felt a whole lot better. I am now working Monday-Friday from 8-5. I think that took longer getting use to then anything.

RedSoxFan
10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Congrats Morgan. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

WDWFanatic
10-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Congrats Morgan!:thumbsup:

Let us know how the switch went.