PDA

View Full Version : Ohana??

djbinding
10-09-2008, 08:55 PM
So we'll be staying at SOG in Jan. I understand the Poly is a short walk from SOG. I'll be celebrating my birthday and wondering what i could expect from a dinner at Ohana. Group of 10 expected and 6 kids. I understand the buffet dinner includes all kinds of goofy stuff with the kids. Or maybe the birthday Dad?

Looking for some good advice. :beer::beer:

mickeys_princess_mom
10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Advice....Elastic waist.....:mickey:
You will love this dinner! They get the kids involved in coconut races and island songs...
The food is awesome...My daughter told me not to eat too much of the first items cause they just keep bringing more and tastier selections! Good advice! Somehow save room for dessert, too !You may get to see the fireworks if the timing's right, so a window seat is nice if you can get it. Enjoy!!
:papple: The Lapu-Lapu is pretty popular if you have an occasion to try one later without the kids....:mickey:

Keneva
10-09-2008, 09:43 PM
They have an MC who entertains the kids with Hula dance lessons, coconut races and other dances. Our DS3 and DD7 spent more time dancing around the restaurant than they did at the table (which was fine with us). We sat next to the grill so we had a good view of the festivities but I felt a little sorry for people who had tables that were behind the grill (behind a wall actually) as they were somewhat isolated from everyone else. If you are a meat eater, no matter where you sit the food is wonderfull and you can eat as much as you want. :D

mdhiggin
10-09-2008, 09:54 PM
We were there a couple of weeks ago, and the food was fabulous. They kept bringing more and more. The cooked meat was awesome from that fire thingy. We were behind the wall as PP stated and all we saw as far as entertainment was a conga line through the restaurant with the singing Hawaiian woman leading a train of kids. It was one of my favorites even though we couldn't see the action.

Aggie97
10-10-2008, 01:50 AM
'Ohana is one of our favorite WDW restaurants! It has a very festive feel, which is great for celebrating a birthday. We like to get there a little early and enjoy a yummy tropical adult beverage from the Tambu Lounge next door. :papple: The food is served family-style, which might be easier than a traditional buffet with a larger group and several kids. As previous posters have said, be sure to save room for dessert. I am always completely stuffed when I leave 'Ohana. Have a great time! :mickey:

BigRedDad
10-10-2008, 05:28 AM
Island grilled shrimp, marinated pork, marinated sirloin steak all cooked in front of you at the giant grill. The servers bring these out to the table on 3' skewers and they slide some to your plate if you want them. For me, this is one of the absolute best meals at WDW. I am not one of those upper-class people that would eat a fingernail size meal at V&A for $100 a plate. This is a meat-eaters heaven. Also, if the kids are more picky, the server can get something more kid friendly brought to the table. I think it is chicken fingers, mac and cheese, not sure though.

kathiep
10-10-2008, 09:17 AM
I think this would be a good choice for a group celebration. The food is soooo good and it just keeps coming & coming! Don't fill up on the bread, salad or dumplings. There's so much more to come.

artyboy
10-10-2008, 03:16 PM
We've been known to skip lunch on "O'hana" day;)

We refer to it as "Meat Fest!"

You'll have a great time!

djbinding
10-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Done deal. Meat, drinks and goofy kids stuff.:party:

SleepyKeith
10-10-2008, 07:09 PM
One word of advice, with a party of 16 I would make the ADR as soon as you can. It can be difficult to get seating for large parties at Ohanna.

Polynesian Dweller
10-10-2008, 08:33 PM
One other word of advice, yes SOG is walking distance from the Polynesian but be prepared for having to cross Floridian Way which is a busy road.

If you choose to walk, there is a crosswalk just to the north of the SOG driveway and a path that bring you into the Poly grounds from the northwest end. Follow it around to the Great Ceremonial House. Do not try to walk along the roadways, (Floridian Way and Seven Seas Drive) there isn't enough room and its not safe. Disney has not planned for people to walk on the roadways.

LudwigVonDrake
10-11-2008, 09:25 PM
'Ohana is one of my favorite restaurants. Bring a healthy appetite with you!