PDA

View Full Version : Little Kids at Candlelight Processional

wire0monkey
10-09-2008, 04:42 PM
We're thinking about planning a trip to WDW for December 2008.

I have a 6 year old and a 3.5 year old. Would they enjoy Candlelight Processional at Epcot or is it too grown-up?

tigger24601
10-09-2008, 05:21 PM
the 6 year old might but i'd think twice about the three year old. we did it last year for the first time and loved it but dd (15 months at the time)slept through the whole thing. it's really just someone telling the christmas story and a choir singing christmas carols. not to mention the line you have to wait in to get seats. i know my 2 year old doesn't have that kind of patients.

green ranger
10-09-2008, 09:18 PM
We went with our 18 month old and 3 year old two years ago, and by the third song, they were both asleep on our laps. They were so exhausted from the day, and they were relaxed listening to the music, that they fell asleep. The show is wonderful. If I were you, I wouldn't miss it.

mickeys_princess_mom
10-09-2008, 09:24 PM
I'd be sure to see it, too--it's really something.
May I suggest that you might want to watch from the area behind the pavillion. You can see quite well, and always have the option to stroll off if the kids get too restless. It's also very cool to be standing right up there as the choirs file in past you.:sing::sing::sing:

daparish
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
We saw this for the first time our last trip and loved it. It was absolutely beautiful and actually brought tears to my eyes but I don't think your children would enjoy it. I am not sure it would hold even your 6 year old's attn. I think the suggestion of watching from the back is a great idea.

Stitchahula
10-10-2008, 07:49 AM
We brought our son when he was 2 1/2 and he had a blast. He pretended he was conducting the music complete with taking a bow after. He also would pretend to sing even though he didn't know the words. I would say to give it a shot see if your little one likes it. You might just get some unbelievable pictures out of it. I know we did.

wire0monkey
10-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I'm not sure what we'll do yet. We might drop them off at the a child care center and just take the adults, or I might take them.

I need to talk to Grandma and Dad and see what they think.

bkfree
10-10-2008, 05:32 PM
We are also going in Dec, for our first Christmas Disney trip.
I have booked an ADR a Tutto with the CP seating for us, which includes our 2 children who are 7 and 9. While we have never attended the CP before, they have always done well at special church programs and other performances that include music and instruments.
Even though there is always a chance they may get antsy, I figure that we should expose them to as many different experiences as we can and see how it goes.
I would hate to guess wrong and not take them to something this special and unique while there that they may really enjoy.
They have often surprised me, so to us it is worth the risk.
And if they get too unhappy, we will just sneak out-no worse for wear and no money expended.
I have been showing them photos of it online and they know what to expect.
It seems anything involving Christmas mesmerizies them.
I say take them.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
We brought our son when he was 2 1/2 and he had a blast. He pretended he was conducting the music complete with taking a bow after. He also would pretend to sing even though he didn't know the words. I would say to give it a shot see if your little one likes it. You might just get some unbelievable pictures out of it. I know we did.

We also got there late so didn't actually go into the theater but rather stood on the walk way. He ran around and sang and danced and had a great time listening to the music.

Auroring Good Time
10-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I went to the candlelight processional a few years back and absolutely loved it. I would like to go again this year. I don't know if I will take my son (age 5 at the time) as last time he had a wonderful nap through the entire show.

Simba's Mom
10-12-2008, 02:11 PM
I've seen lots of little children at the CP, and none of them were very "antsy". However, I will caution you about one thing-be careful of who's grumpy-looking sitting around you! Maybe I've just been unlucky, but every time I've gone to the CP (no kids), if a little one near me lets out so much as a "peep", there's always some grump who gives them a glare. I hope that doesn't happen-some people are so intolerant!

Maleficent's Dad
10-12-2008, 08:59 PM
About a year ago, I posted this exact same question - only difference was that my kids were (at the time) 8 and 6 years old.

Well, last year in December, we did it with the kids.

Our kids are used to church every Sunday. And while they do not love going to church, they do know how to behave.

The CP was a bit much for them both. (Keep in mind that my son is the elder of the two; my daughter the younger.) DS is a good kid but does struggle sitting for long periods of time. DD is actually a bit better, but too long = trouble.

Wish we had brought some markers and puzzles for them to work on. While they were enthralled during certain parts, they were bored at others.

Overall, we all survived. The CP is an AMAZING EXPERIENCE and perhaps, one of the BEST THINGS I'VE EVER SEEN at WDW. I wouldn't miss it!!!

bwk99
10-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Its an adult show, IMO.. I've been with a 3 year old and a 1 year old and neither made it more than 20 minutes.. Now, me and my son walk around Epcot (trains at Germany, ride at Mexico and Norway, Nemo) and my wife stands outside the rail or sits at America and listens to the entire thing.