PDA

View Full Version : When did you know they were a keeper?

TinyDancer
10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
After reading the thread about the most romantic things, I was wondering when you decided your SO was a keeper?!

Ian
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I haven't yet ... we've been married 8 years as of end of September ... I'm just on a very long test drive. ;)

Just kidding ... I kinda knew the first time I met her. I don't know what it was, but I suspected she was the right girl for me.

Almost 11 years later, I'm sure I was right. :thumbsup:

wilcat
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM
How do you know? I'm sure it is different for everyone. As for myself it was a blind date of all things, and I had no idea it would go so well. Long story short first date Sept 1975 married Oct 1976. We just knew that first night. There were so many thing we equally enjoy and enough we do not to keep it hopping. We started talking marriage within the first two months. It just happens. Today (Oct. 9) we are celebrating our 32nd Anniversary and I couldn't be happier. So you will know when you know. That's about the best way to explain it.

Cathy

Marilyn Michetti
10-09-2008, 12:41 PM
My DH and I were both Psych techs in the Navy during Viet Nam. It was a long corridor between wards, so DH would go up and down on roller skates. Didn't matter - everyone out there was odd. Anyway, he came skating up onto the ward I was WORKING on, (our kids still don't believe that one), and he had a daisy behind his back. He didn't make a very graceful entrance, and kind of slammed into the med cabinet, but the daisy survived. It was really cute.

Marilyn Michetti
10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
How do you know? I'm sure it is different for everyone. As for myself it was a blind date of all things, and I had no idea it would go so well. Long story short first date Sept 1975 married Oct 1976. We just knew that first night. There were so many thing we equally enjoy and enough we do not to keep it hopping. We started talking marriage within the first two months. It just happens. Today (Oct. 9) we are celebrating our 32nd Anniversary and I couldn't be happier. So you will know when you know. That's about the best way to explain it.

Cathy

HAPPY ANNIVESARY! Our 38th is the 24th of this month. We're survivors:thumbsup:

Disney Doll
10-09-2008, 02:22 PM
I have to agree with a previous poster and say that you just know. I was newly single when I went on my first date with DH. We were an unlikely match so I don't think many people thought we would last. We really hit it off which I think surprised everyone including ourselves. We were talking marriage within a month, but we held out to formally get engaged until we had been together about a year. We've been married 7 yrs and together 9 yrs.

Davyjones
10-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I just knew from the deepest parts of my soul that she was the one.

Mackflava99
10-09-2008, 04:56 PM
When she went with me to White Castle for linch and didn't complain :)

alphamommy
10-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm not really sure there was A Moment when I knew he was the one. We both liked some of the same things, we both liked a wide variety of music, and we had weird senses of humor. We met at work, so we had that in common.

He says that he thought I had nice knees (?), and was impressed because I brought cookies to him!

I guess I knew when (a) my parents liked him, and (b) he would eat dinner and watch TV with my folks and I.

We met on Jan. 9, '92, and got married on Jan. 9, '93. We got engaged after dating for 6 months, and got married 4 months later.

Ian
10-09-2008, 05:41 PM
My DH and I were both Psych techs in the Navy during Viet Nam. It was a long corridor between wards, so DH would go up and down on roller skates. Didn't matter - everyone out there was odd. Anyway, he came skating up onto the ward I was WORKING on, (our kids still don't believe that one), and he had a daisy behind his back. He didn't make a very graceful entrance, and kind of slammed into the med cabinet, but the daisy survived. It was really cute.This is an awesome story. Just wanted to say that.

Mousefever
10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I think I knew because he was such a dedicated father to his two kids and he was a very steady provider. I was already attracted to him, loved his sense of humor, his loyalty, etc., but the fact that he is a family man was the clincher.

Amy

:dory:

TikiGoddess
10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I knew my guy was the one when we saw each other every day for at least 6 weeks after our first kiss. It was a little scary, finally finding the person I would spend the rest of my life with. We just clicked -- same sense of humor, same profession.... he was very reliable (something I need as I am rather unstable at times :)) and good with kids. Plus the timing was perfect for both of us. We were in grad school finishing up our master's degrees and were both ready to settle down.

We got engaged 5 months after we started dating, and married 6 months after that. We just celebrated our 8th anniversary yesterday (10/8). I can't imagine being with anyone else... he is my other half!

Kathy

TinkerbellT421
10-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Well we are not married and probably wont be (little bitter after his divorce lol). But I knew he was a "keeper" the first date....We just kind of clicked. I guess I could kind of call it (love @ first sight) except we knew each other from work...to make a really long story short...WE went out on our first date after I blew him off twice (I will never live my excuses down lol)...I had just gotten out of a bitter relationship at the time after four years and didn't want to go anywhere with anyone lol...So my first excuse was "I was washing my hair"...yes I did..I said it lol....he couldnt believe it....I was really dyeing and getting a hair cut that night but I was making a joke out of it....The second time he asked me out again a couple of weeks later...I called him and told him I wasnt going to be able to make it....he called me the next night all mad and stuff and busting my chops and said he was never asking me out again and I said "Fine, come pick me up right now"...well he was cooking a pound of pasta and threw it out when I said that to come take me out to eat. We had the best night together that night. And we have been together since....I know its not exactly the most romantic story you ever heard but I fell in love with him and its been two years and counting. Its funny because everyone we know thinks we are exactly like each other lol...:cloud9: I do love him with all my heart though.

MNNHFLTX
10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
When I first met my husband I thought he was just the goofball roommate of the guy that was going out with my roommate (does that make sense?) Then one evening when he tagged along with his friend over to my house we got to talking about our families. When he spoke of how close he had been to his maternal grandparents (who had recently passed away within a short time of each other), I started seeing him in a different light. And a couple of months later when I was sick with a really bad strep infection he looked after me with such TLC, bringing over meals and taking me to the doctor. That was the clincher. :heart:

Tink1
10-10-2008, 04:06 PM
OK, we are married 24 years as of last month.

I dated my husband because he was cute and had a red corvette. (Ok, was one of my shallower years) We had dated a month and he had to go to a seminar in Philadelphia, but didn't want to park the 'vette there. He asked if he left me his car could he take my OLD car to Phillie.

Well, gee.......my icky Dodge Charger for a '77 vette for the week? Uh-sure!

Knew then that he loved me and I would keep him!

He later sold the little red corvette for the downpayment on our first house.

This past June I started the search to replace it for our 25th anniversary. While it is a little early, I found one with 34,000 miles that was in my price range to replace the one he gave up. I surprised him with this
Hubby's 25th wedding present (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/Corvette/1977.htm)

Nanc

Boojum
10-11-2008, 01:30 AM
I knew mine was a keeper on our second date. We were driving my car to a restaurant and it started raining--he observed that I needed new windshield wipers. We stopped at an Auto Zone, he bought windshield wipers for me, and then put them on.

Nothing major, but it showed me that his heart was in the right place.

DisneyDudet
10-11-2008, 06:16 AM
This gives me hope!

After a couple long relationships that failed miserably, and dating a lot of "Mr. Wrongs" for years, I guess there is still hope for me finding a keeper!

Sometimes I feel like I'm just not a likable person! Then again, some of you like me, right?

;)

I love hearing these stories!

Tink1
10-11-2008, 11:24 AM
This gives me hope!

After a couple long relationships that failed miserably, and dating a lot of "Mr. Wrongs" for years, I guess there is still hope for me finding a keeper!

Sometimes I feel like I'm just not a likable person! Then again, some of you like me, right?

;)

I love hearing these stories!

Oh Morgan, you are just a pup! I was older than you when I got married.(and somtimes I think that was too early as well)

I had been through some long term/rough break ups and was at the point that I was not looking for anyone (hence the reason I dated my husband for his car).

It happens when it happens- but you have LOTS of time.

Nanc

PirateLover
10-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Well, I knew that I wanted to date him when we were riding in his car, and he turned the music down because he actually wanted to hear me talk. My previous boyfriend blared the music so loud I'm sure the whole neighborhood heard and loved to hear himself talk. So to me, that was a good sign that I had found a caring guy. The rest kinda just fell into place along the way...
There is one funny story that I'm sure he would kill me for telling, but a year into our relationship we were down the shore for an early june weekend. The weather was too chilly to swim so I had a clever idea to put our bathing suits on and go "swimming" in the bathtub of the motel! So we are sitting there, cramped in this tub and he starts shifting around and looking funny. So finally he admits that he has to pass gas and he's embarrassed. I told him I don't care, everybody does it... so he lets it out and it makes a bloopy noise and the bubbles come up to the top and the both of us just started cracking up... And from that moment on I think I knew he was the one :rotfl:

Marilyn Michetti
10-13-2008, 07:57 PM
OK, we are married 24 years as of last month.

I dated my husband because he was cute and had a red corvette. (Ok, was one of my shallower years) We had dated a month and he had to go to a seminar in Philadelphia, but didn't want to park the 'vette there. He asked if he left me his car could he take my OLD car to Phillie.

Well, gee.......my icky Dodge Charger for a '77 vette for the week? Uh-sure!

Knew then that he loved me and I would keep him!

He later sold the little red corvette for the downpayment on our first house.

This past June I started the search to replace it for our 25th anniversary. While it is a little early, I found one with 34,000 miles that was in my price range to replace the one he gave up. I surprised him with this
Hubby's 25th wedding present (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/Corvette/1977.htm)

Nanc

Well, that must have knocked his socks off. So what was his reaction? We want details, girl, DETAILS !