PDA

View Full Version : Marching Bands at Magic Kingdom -- Questions

D.Ducky
10-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm looking for some specific information on what accommodations marching bands are given by the folks at the Magic Kingdom.

If you or your child has marched in one of the pre-parade bands, I'd love to hear from you.

Specific information I need to know:

- How big was the group that marched?

- What type of facility were you given to dress in and prepare for the parade? (i.e. open parking lot with no cover? Open-sided tent? Enclosed/fully air-conditioned tent? A warehouse/large open space that was air conditioned? Something else?)

Other bonus information I'd like to receive:

- What year did you march?

- Were you provided with food and/or drinks? If so, what? And what format? (i.e. bottles of water/soda/Powerade? Water out of a shared cooler using paper cups?)

- How long prior to step-off did you line up, in full uniform, at the gate? Was step-off in the daylight or nighttime? Was there water provided at the step-off area while you waited?

- Were you given "compensation" in the form of theme park tickets? If so, how many per person, per day? And were they 1-day, 1-park or hopper tickets?

I have no intention of using the information against Disney. I love Disney and my group has marched for the Mouse several times. However, my group's leaders are afraid to rock the boat by asking for what they consider to be "perks." I just want to find out if how we're treated is "standard" by Disney for other marching groups or if we are just being too timid by not asking for equal treatment.

Thanks for any info. you can provide.

Ruprect
10-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Keep in mind that this was 16 years ago that I marched there so some of the details may be fuzzy and things are likely to be different now.

Specific information I need to know:

I believe at this time we were about 100-125 members.

- What type of facility were you given to dress in and prepare for the parade? (i.e. open parking lot with no cover? Open-sided tent? Enclosed/fully air-conditioned tent? A warehouse/large open space that was air conditioned? Something else?)

I'm almost positive about this one. The boys changed in one of our buses and the girls changed in another. The buses were air conditioned though

- Were you provided with food and/or drinks? If so, what? And what format? (i.e. bottles of water/soda/Powerade? Water out of a shared cooler using paper cups?)

We had a big "water" jug filled with orange kool-aid. I believe it was supplied for us but not sure.

- How long prior to step-off did you line up, in full uniform, at the gate? Was step-off in the daylight or nighttime? Was there water provided at the step-off area while you waited?

We were lined up probably at least 30-60 minutes in advance. It was a daytime step-off and no water was provided that I can remember.

- Were you given "compensation" in the form of theme park tickets? If so, how many per person, per day? And were they 1-day, 1-park or hopper tickets?

We had to pay for our own "perks". Most kids were able to pay for the trip with fund-raising (lots of fruitcake) but I don't think anything was provided by Disney.

That's about the best I can recall. I realize it may not be relevant as things will have changed since then but perhaps it can give some perspective versus the way things are now.

scoot241
10-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I have two different groups I marched with.

First, high school:

About 125

The backstage area behind Pirates of the Carribbean has an area with changing rooms.

1998, 2000

Not that I remember

About 15 minutes I think... no water, but it was February

Not particularly... we paid about $300 for a four-day trip that included one Universal park and Disney.

Now, the most recent trip with LSU.

Same conditions as high school (the covered area with rooms to change in the backstage area behind Pirates)

2004 (late December)

No.

30 minutes or so. It was dusk (prior to the first Spectromagic). No water.

We received 1-day, 1-park tickets.

kakn7294
10-09-2008, 03:20 PM
DD's HS band is planning a trip in the spring so I can only answer these 3 questions for now:

Band is 62 members - not all are going. DD isn't sure how many signed up.

They will march before the afternoon parade in March, 2009

- Were you given "compensation" in the form of theme park tickets?
If so, how many per person, per day? And were they 1-day, 1-park or hopper tickets?
Nope, nothing although.

Thanks for the info from the other Intercotees! It's been informative for us!