PDA

View Full Version : Coronado Springs?

tink03
10-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Please tell me all the great things about CS. I booked a room here for next year but some people are saying some negative things. Walking too much and paying a tip at the food court???:( I am really confuse I was told this is the best moderate.
Help please.:confused:

Sept 09 CS
Sept 08 POR
Sept 07 CBR
May 06 POR
June 04 CBR

Diznee4Me
10-09-2008, 08:31 AM
The Coronado is a convention/conference resort. Depending on when you go, some days there is hardly anyone on the bus.

There are four bus stops so anywhere on the resort you are pretty close to a stop.

Yes you have to pay a gratuity but the food court has the best selection of the other moderates - I love the taco salad - it's huge!

Themeing is beautiful. Pool is beautiful.

This fall will be our seventh year in a row staying at the Coronado - we love it!

vicster
10-09-2008, 08:41 AM
We didn't stay there last month but took a trip there to check it out. We had lunch at the Pepper Market food court and it's like no other food court at the other resorts. It's definitely worth paying a tip - they actually seat you and there's a wide variety of food. The resort grounds were beautiful and I would definitely stay there.

KatMark
10-09-2008, 09:42 AM
We have stayed seven times--including our 7th stay last month for our 25th wedding anniversary (and my husband offered me a special treat of the Poly but I wanted to stay at our home away from home, the Coronado). It is a beautiful resort; yes, it is very large and there is a lot of walking, but there is also a lot of walking at the POR and the CBR. You can request a certain area if there is somewhere particular you want to be close to (food court, main pool, etc., but they are only requests). We always ask (and have always received--except this year because we were upgraded to a junior suite) Casitas 4 or 5. They are both right by the Quiet Pool and the spa (which I use while there). It takes me five to seven minutes to walk to the food court and about eight to ten minutes to walk to the Dig Site pool. The grounds are lush and beautiful, especially at night with the lights reflecting off the lake and the fountains in the courtyards of the Casitas section. There is a 10% gratuity included at the Pepper Market and it operates differently than most food courts. The Pepper Market is NOT owned by Disney and therefore the 10%. If you want to avoid the 10% gratuity, you can ask for your food to go and take it with you and sit at one of the lovely tables by the lake to enjoy your meal. The Coronado has also converted to all queen beds (except those rooms with king beds). Please don't hesitate to contact me by PM if you have any specific questions.

And do not forget, everyone has different tastes and expectations. A lot of people love the Wildnerness Lodge and, I agree it is beautiful, but I have no desire to stay there--I'm not into rustic. Disney has many different types of resorts because people have so many different tastes.

Here are a few pictures of my favorite resort:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/Luvwrestling/DSC04162.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/Luvwrestling/DSC04019.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/Luvwrestling/DSC04164.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/Luvwrestling/DSC04166.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/Luvwrestling/DSC04252.jpg

Iluvpooh
10-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Coronado is my favorite resort-My husband and I used to say we were going to try and stay at a different resort everytime, but after we stayed at CSR the first time, we just kept coming back.

I have always stayed in the Casitas Buildings. In my opinion it is the best location. If you ask for a water view room make sure you let them know if the water you want to see is the lake or a water fountain/courtyard. No kidding.

BigRedDad
10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
CSR is a great resort. It has been 8-years since we have been there though. There is gratuity at the CS restaurant, but you can have that taken off by getting your meal "to-go". There is a lot of walking if you choose to. Things might have changed since I was there, but many of the workers drive around extended golf carts. Whenever they saw anyone walking, they offered to pick them up and take them where they were going.

Pool - excellent
CS restaurant - excellent
Pool Bar - excellent
Beach - excellent
Deck/lounge - excellent
Rooms - great

ljv1975
10-09-2008, 10:14 AM
We also really enjoyed CSR. We had a king room in the Cabanas (9b I believe). It was nice and quiet, and the walk to the main building and Dig Site pool weren't too long. We actually didn't mind the walking because the resort is beautiful and landscaped nicely.

We ate breakfast at the Pepper Market one morning and the selection was nice - something for everyone. Like a previous poster said, if you don't want to pay the tip, you can get your food to go. However, they will seat you, and get your silverware and drinks. You take a piece of paper that gets a stamp and you pay when you're finished eating. Unlike some resorts (POP) where you get your food, wait in line forever, and then have to search for a seat while your food is getting cold. It's worth th extra 10%, IMO.

We also ate dinner at Maya Grill one night. We had a long day and DH wanted a nice sit down meal. We didn't have ADR's, but they were able to seat DH, DD and I right away. The food and atmosphere here were wonderful! I had the filet which was very good and DH had duck of some kind. He loved it. Their desserts were also delicious.

My daughter loved playing at the Dig Site. Every night when we returned to the resort, we took her there and she loved playing in the sandboxes and on the playground. We went to the main pool one afternoon and it was a lot of fun. They have a nice pool bar, and they also have a HUGE hot tub.

We had no problems at all with housekeeping. Our room was always clean - bed made, fresh towels, etc. Our housekeeper did fun things with DD's stuffed animals. One night when we came back, the curtains were tied back and they were peeking out of the window. It was very cute.

We had our car, and never took the buses, so I can't comment on bus service, but every time we passed a bus stop, we never saw anyone waiting. I guess that is a good sign.

I think there will always be positive and negative reviews on all resorts. Recently there was a thread about a bad experience at GF - so no hotel is immune to negative feedback. In my experience, CSR was great. It met our needs and all of us had a good time there. I hope you enjoy it too!!

c&d
10-09-2008, 10:28 AM
We loved our stay there in August 2006. Yes the resort is big but it is a beautiful resort to walk around at night. All the different areas are lit up so nicely.

We loved Pepper Market, there were food choices that worked for everyone in our family. The "tip" is only if you eat in, most times we had our meals to go and grabbed a table outside overlooking the lake.

The pool was great, never really crowded. The buses were never crowded and parked up close to the front of the bus depot at the parks. At least they did when we were stayed there.

Finally, mousekeeping was extraordinary. Every day there were a group of new towel animals, incorporating our sons stuffed animals. One day they were surfing on towels all around the room, some lounging in a hammock towel between the beds. One day his cat took the toilet paper out of the bathroom and started playing with it in the room. Everyday different ones were arranged in the window waiting for us to come back.

I highly recommend CSR.

jrkcr
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
CSR=:heart:

Great food at Pepper Market, huge hot tub and cool theme pool with a slide, hardly any crowds on the buses, and beautiful peaceful grounds!

I'l be there in 37 days!! :joy:

lilolvr
10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
CSR!! I love CSR for the atmosphere, great CM's and the deluxe-lite feel. CSR offers a spa, salon, full menu room service and fitness center not to mention a terrific main pool area and the best transportation that is not shared with any other resort. It's like taking two vacations in one. Queen beds too!

dmosher
10-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I agree! Until I upgraded to Vacation CLub villas, the CS was my favorite resort (now WL is). Have stayed there many times. It is always quiet and peaceful. The grounds are beautiful and absolutely stunning as the sun sets.

Great variety at the food court and the most delicious breakfast I have had on property at the Mayan Grill. The juice alone was worth it.

The rooms are nice, simple (the same as most in it's class) and if you get one near the 3rd bus stop, you are close to the regular pool as quiet pool and the last buss stop which means less wait time. It also means when you get back to the resort, you can get off at the 1st stop (lobby entrance) and a very short walk over the bridge and you are home and; and who doesn't like "less bus time".
Hope that helps.
:pipes:
D

passholderryan
10-10-2008, 03:32 PM
CSR is a great place to stay. Great pool, great food, great bar. The resort grounds are really clean and well kept. You can relax on a hamock or stroll along the beach. The bus system is never a problem and hardly any wait. The only down side is you won't want to leave!!!

caryrae
10-13-2008, 02:10 PM
I booked a room here for next year but some people are saying some negative things.

I bet every Resort has something negative said about it.

buzz2001
10-14-2008, 05:32 AM
CSR!! Great main pool area, awesome transportation, and terrific food options. Check out my CSR website (by clicking on my name above) for pics and info. CSR now has queen beds in all the rooms and will have club level rooms as of 01/2009!!

http://i34.tinypic.com/11kfg3p.jpg

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-14-2008, 08:28 AM
We stayed there last time and it is very spread out but like another poster said, there are bus stops spread around the resort....I did find that it was a long walk to the laundry and foodcourt but we did not stay in preferred and did not ask to be closer...If I were you I'd request a room close to the food court or just pay the extra for preferred....we absolutely loved the Food Court, I agree it is worth paying a tip because you can get things like a steak and it is considered CS.....we really didn't care for Maya Grill TS for breakfast though, not bad, just very ordinary....the pool is the coolest!!! I think you will be happy with this resort....

KatMark
10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
You cannot pay for "preferred" at the Coronado (I know you can at the Caribbean). Your choices at the Coronado are Standard or Waterview. All you can do is request a certain section (Casitas, Ranchos or Cabanas) and what section you request depends on what you want to be closest to. And remember they are only requests. We always stay in Casitas 4 or 5 (we request it and have been very fortunate to get it every time but last time--and that is only because we were upgraded to a suite). It is a five minute walk to the Food Court and about an eight minute walk to the main pool.

beachezncream
10-14-2008, 04:48 PM
I really didn't like it, we stayed there for 2 days of our last trip, and it wasn't because of anything hotel wise, personally Its great, but they have a new area called Cafe RIx, which was like night clubish - which drew a lot of people out .. and there was a lot of drinking, which bothered me. Also the Food Court set up is a bit crazy.

thrillme
10-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Like an earlier poster said there's positives and negatives about every resort...each person's experience is different.

We just got back from CSR.

Mousekeeping was a little less to be desired but it wasn't awful (the first night I did find some hair in the bathtub but a quick "rinse" took care of the problem). Never a towel animal to be seen. The rest of the room was fine but I regularly found I had to rinse the tub because they didn't seem to do a good job of it. Alas...the grounds were SPOTLESS.

I was a little annoyed at the transport carts frequently attempting to run us down and then never offering a ride. The only way you could get a ride with most of them is if you ASKED. Only two of them ever stopped and asked us if we would like a ride.

The Dig Site was very very nice. No complaints about the pool or the hot tub...BUT...the game room was VERY VERY small and the bar closed ridiculously early with the manager just shrugging..."Mouse Rules". There's another bar by the lobby. Well that bar was nearly a 1/4 of a mile away. WAY to far to get something and bring it back. At the POP and other Values the bar was right by the main pool but they didn't have a hot tub. Carriabean Beach's bar is also right by their main pool. Not that we're lushes or anything but when we're on vacation after a long day with absolutely no driving involved I don't think it's a crime to have a couple of :beer::marg: while hanging out at the pool. SOLUTION...be sure you bring a cooler and BYOB.

We must have caught the Pepper Market on an off time because the food was Average to TERRIBLE. The calzones were pretty good but all their meats were TERRIBLE...my steak had so much fat on it I think I lost have the steak, my DH's pork was more like jerkey. The following night...we had the chicken alfredo. The alfredo and pasta was "average" but the chicken...I gave up. We were on the dining plan and I was full anyway just trying to burn credits so I blew off complaining.

I'm going to hope that it was just a "bad time" for them. All the waiter did was bring us water in a plastic cup...you can bet the tip was minimal. The second night the new waiter brought us ONE glass of water each...his tip was ZERO.

It was TERRIBLY over priced at least DOUBLE what it should be. Even Disney resturants don't charge that much.

We had breakfast at Maya Grill...I heard it was pretty good in the evening and it did smell pretty good but we wanted to burn a counter service the night before or we would have eaten there.

We did eat at Maya for breakfast...it was a low end buffet. It wasn't bad but it was "ordinary". If I wasn't on the dining plan I would have really been miserable with the Pepper Market. My DH was appalled at the $9.50 for 2 eggs and some potatoes...nothing else. $12 something for an omlett and nothing with it.

The busses ran very rapidly and efficiently I really didn't miss not having a car this time. The Rancharos were not far from the bus stop so that was great. AND they had queen beds which was WONDERFUL...unfortunately they were a little harder than I was used to but that's strictly a personal preference.

We got someone to come and help us with our bags when we were ready to check out. They were very nice and quick. They even kept our bags till we left on ME. I was quite satisfied with that.

Again...it's everybody to their own. If the Values had queens and a hot tub...I'd NEVER venture to anyplace else.

KatMark
10-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Just an FYI on the transport cars. They have stopped using those for guests. The only time they are used is when there is a convention in attendance and the convention group pays for it. However, you will get an occasional driver to offer you a ride if you want one. We were asked at least four times during our stay last month. We always turned them down because we prefer walking and admiring the beauty of the resort. Also, Pepper Market is NOT a Disney resaturant. It is owned by an outside vendor because it is a convention resort. This in no way is saying you are wrong in your thoughts--as I agree on the price at the Pepper Market--it is on the high side. Luckily, we are on the dining plan every trip. I am surprised you got nothing with your omelet. When we ordered ours last month, we got potatos and a muffin with it.

thrillme
10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
I am surprised you got nothing with your omelet. When we ordered ours last month, we got potatos and a muffin with it.

It MAY have had something but it wasn't displayed the initial cook/counter person didn't speak english well and just kept saying "Yes Yes Omlete".

We were tired of Pepper Market by that time the food was really not very good the last two evenings we ate there. After that we went to Maya Grill. The waiter had told us the night before that Maya was only open at night so we investigated Pepper Market first not knowing better. As soon as we discovered it really WAS open we left. I've heard it can be fantastic...maybe because we were there in the evenings after the main dinner rush we just didn't get their best of the best. :(

KatMark
10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
It MAY have had something but it wasn't displayed the initial cook/counter person didn't speak english well and just kept saying "Yes Yes Omlete".

We were tired of Pepper Market by that time the food was really not very good the last two evenings we ate there. After that we went to Maya Grill. The waiter had told us the night before that Maya was only open at night so we investigated Pepper Market first not knowing better. As soon as we discovered it really WAS open we left. I've heard it can be fantastic...maybe because we were there in the evenings after the main dinner rush we just didn't get their best of the best. :(

A lot of the cooks at Pepper Market don't speak English very well.

We've only eaten at Maya Grill for breakfast once--and I thought it was just okay--nothing special. We've never done dinner but had read some good reviews and were going to try it next year, but there are so many other places we want to try (Spoodles, Kona) that I'm not sure we'll do Maya.

KatMark
10-14-2008, 10:11 PM
I really didn't like it, we stayed there for 2 days of our last trip, and it wasn't because of anything hotel wise, personally Its great, but they have a new area called Cafe RIx, which was like night clubish - which drew a lot of people out .. and there was a lot of drinking, which bothered me. Also the Food Court set up is a bit crazy.

It's a convention resort, so yes you do see drinking. We didn't go to The Rix (Cafe Rix is the food place). Truthfully, that is what turned me off about Port Orleans Riverside where Piano Bob plays. I have no problem with drinking...I've done my fair share when I was younger and have an occasional drink now (like my pina coladas at the Dig Site pool), but I have real problems with parents doing it with their children present (and believe me...they weren't just having one or two drinks).

But that is what is so great about Disney--so many different choices for many different tastes and preferences.

mdhiggin
10-14-2008, 10:43 PM
I didn't notice the tip added in to our food court bill when I stayed there. Have they always done this?

buzz2001
10-15-2008, 05:38 AM
I didn't notice the tip added in to our food court bill when I stayed there. Have they always done this?yes unless you had your food "TO GO". Then there is no 10% added.