PDA

View Full Version : Country Boy eating in France - will I survive?

Marker
10-08-2008, 08:40 PM
So, the planning process has begun. Yes I know, we're still 346 days out, but who doesn't love thinking about where you'll eat.

Anyway, my daughter seems to have a goal of eating in France. I've looked at the online menu for Chefs De France and I have to say, I'm not totally sold.

So my question to you folks is, will I survive. I'm not opposed to trying differnt foods, and am quite fond of a variety of food types. But I'm just not that impressed with what I see. So what are you impressions of the food in France, whether at Chefs De France or any other choices. What do you like, what do you not like?

I do like french fries, french toast, french vanilla, french onion soup, french dressing, :crazy:

Natazu
10-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Get the Demi Poulet. It's just like the Sunday Chicken Special at Cracker Barrel (except it's $24)

ryca1dreams
10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Just like Natazu said - break it down

The Noix de Saint Jacques is just seafood with rice

The Thon poelle is just Fish and Chips with a salad.

The Filet de boeuf is just a beef steak with potatoes and beans.

I think I had the duck and it was pretty good. Enjoy.

TheRustyScupper
10-09-2008, 12:40 AM
1) You will be just fine.
2) Think of it like - French food just has a lot more sauce.

Jeff
10-09-2008, 07:14 AM
You will survive, but more than likely still be hungry and unimpressed.

When my family ate there 2 years ago, also at my daughters request, the best thing anyone had IMHHO (that's in my humble hick opinion) was my young nieces mac and cheese. If I ever get dragged back that's what I'll order!:thumbsup:

SFTrny
10-09-2008, 07:47 AM
OR....in a strategic, preemptive strike, once you arrive at the table, insist that everyone order the snails as a starter. 10 minutes later, you'll all be outside looking for some real food!

Fortunately, a very wise and brilliant person in your party was smart enough to have made an ADR at another restaurant, 30 minutes after the original...just in case.

Lynn J Mc
10-09-2008, 01:41 PM
The bread is good!

Polynesian Dweller
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Like natazu and ryca1dreams say, don't look at the French names, look at the translations. A steak is a steak no matter where its served.

Like Demi Poulet: demi is French for half and poulet French for chicken. So, a half chicken dinner with mashed potatoes. Pretty basic and served everywhere.

Plat de Cote de boeuf: Plat for plate, cote (actually has an accent over the o) for ribs, de beouf for of beef. So a plate of ribs. Done in Cabernet wine sauce rather than barbecue sauce.

The French words make it sound fancier than it really is. You will find anything you like. Just read the english.

ElenitaB
10-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Marker, you'll be just fine. We're actually quite familiar with many French bistro dishes such as roast chicken or grilled steak. You can always request no sauce or sauce on the side.

As Natazu points out, there are many places to get roast chicken. My personal favorite is Costco, but I wouldn't compare the surroundings, the restaurant or the service (and the company) to Costco. Maybe Jym's Cracker Barrel is really nice. ;)

If you do want to get adventurous, try the duck or the short ribs. :tasty:

mdhiggin
10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I haven't eaten at the french place, but if it's a 5 star restaurant, there's a possibility you may not like it. Jiko was nasty to me. We had to go to Boma to get some real food. We went to a non Disney 5 star and the food was really different but an adventure. I enjoyed sampling all the nasty dishes, even the stinky feet cheese. The desserts were wonderful, though. I asked to bring home the leftover creme brulee, and the waiter didn't want me to mess up it's form by bringing it home, so he sent it home in the dish. They looked at me like I was country come to town, and I was, but I didn't care. Just think of it as an adventure and eat at one of the snack stands later if you don't enjoy it. Everything we tried at the non Disney place was "ewww nasty, you gotta taste how nasty this is", but it was fun.

PetefromRI
10-09-2008, 06:30 PM
We love it!The steak is very good if your a country boy,and the duck is awesome.The desserts are some of the best in Disney.Enjoy!

P.S. The snails(escargot) are maybe not the best I've had,but they are still very good.

mouseketeer mom
10-09-2008, 07:23 PM
The food isn't really exotic at Le Chef's. It sounds better then it is, in our opinion. We've been twice, and while it was OK, nothing blew our socks off, and we probably won't hurry back.