PDA

View Full Version : Crate training advice needed

DisneyDog
10-08-2008, 06:35 PM
We just got a new dog less than 2 weeks ago. She is a rescue, 2 years old. My other dogs (passed away) were really great about going to their crates. All I had to say was "crate!" and they would go running in, waiting for a treat. This doggie hates the crate. She cries when she's in there and I have to chase her down to get her in there.

I can't let her have run of the house yet. 1, she has separation anxiety, 2, I don't trust her and the cat together yet, and 3, she's had accidents. So, crating is what we'll have to do for now.

Any suggestions on getting her to like/tolerate the crate would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jill

sleepingbooty
10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Go to the library and check out the book, "Good Owners, Great Dogs,". I remember it having a good section on how to ease them into the crate when they don't want to go. I wish I could remember the specific tips, but we were lucky that our puppy took to the crate well. One thing you might try is putting some treats next to the open door of the crate, then later right in the opening, then farther in, etc. leaving the door open the whole time. Then try keeping him in for short periods giving him a treat when he goes in, and gradually increase the time in. Good luck!

DisneyDog
10-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the book recommendation. Just so happens that I am a librarian :thumbsup: So, I will look for that title.

I have tried the treats thing, and I always leave the door open when she's not in it. I tried covering it up to make it more "den-like" but she did the strangest thing -- she pulled the blanket through the wire door of the crate -- in 3 different places, so it looked like the crate was trying to eat the blanket. Never seen anything like it before!

I will often put some treats in there for her and then walk away to see what she will do. She will always go in to get the treats, but then runs right out.

This little gal is a wonderful dog, but this is quite a mystery to me.

VWL Mom
10-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Is it possible that she is afraid of the crate because of something that happened in her last home?

DisneyDog
10-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Of course that's possible. But I really don't know what her life was like prior to last week.

My dog that passed away in December had a lot of fears that we had to deal with over the 10 years he was with us (he had supposedly been kicked by a toddler and the parents didn't do anything about it but boot him out of the house). But, he never minded his crate.

DizneyRox
10-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Good luck with the seperation anxiety. We've tried medication, training, etc. Nothing worked, we ended up getting another dog to help. 11 years later she's as crazy as ever, the puppy is starting to get old and lazy now, but not her!

vizsla
10-09-2008, 04:45 AM
Your new dog may have experienced bad things in the past for one and secondly shows she was not crate trained from when she was a pup. So now you have to break her away from her normal routine which is stressful for her. It will take time and patience and you will be able to get her crate trained. Just start by putting her in the crate for a few minutes at a time and leave the room so she starts to understand that if you are not there that is where she has to go.

Katzateer
10-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Try to find the least stressful way you can to get your dog into the crate when needed (avoid chasing if possible).

If you don't give the dog a choice, don't even think about NOT putting the dog in the crate when needed, hopefully it will become less stressful as time goes on.

Dogs can read your moods and if you are worried about the dogs reaction or anxious when getting ready to put the dog in the crate, they will get nervous and upset also.

Some dogs don't like being crated ever but if you make it a routine, I hope it gets better for you both.

And lots of exercise and love when you get home and maybe a special treat will help.

It is so great you got a rescue dog!!! We have one also that is part golden and he is the best!

bouncer
10-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Have you tried leaving a radio on while your dog is in the kennel so that it will feel like you are near? I have heard this helps with separation anxiety.

merlinmagic4
10-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Our vet finally gave us a med for our anxious dog. It's prozac for doggies and they may only need it for a while. It's comes with a training program that you're supposed to do with it. It's not an intense program....mainly just things you should and shouldn't do. It cost us about 60.00 for a month's supply. Hopefully, once they change their behaviors/learn new routines, they can come off of the med. Maybe it would help her feel less anxious about the crate and ease into a new routine with you.

kakn7294
10-09-2008, 09:19 AM
If you've got an old t-shirt, wear it for a while then put it in the crate. With your scent on it, maybe doggie will be less stressed. I second the idea of music or some type of soothing noise nearby - a ticking alarm clock often works well with puppies. Also try giving her something to occupy her - a chew toy might be great. Pet stores often sell products designed to reduce pet stress - I had a spray for my cat that worked fairly well. My dog loves her crate - she runs straight into it when she comes in from outside! She likes to have a fuzzy pad to lay on and a favorite stuffed animal with her. Good luck with your new best friend!

Jeff G
10-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I have another crate training question. We added a shih tzu to our family Monday who is four months old. The breeder crate trained him and gave us a bunch of advice. The first night we had him we played with him right up until bed time, we put him in his crate and he didn't make a noise until my DW woke up to get ready in the morning. Since that night he has went to his crate on a couple occasions during the day to nap but the nights have been awful. Our breeder suggested that before bed time we let him out for potty and then put him in his crate when we go to bed and it he cries just ignore him at any cost for up to an hour. Tuesday night he cried for about 45 minutes but then went to bed and slept through the night. Last night he again cried for 45 minutes and fell asleep, about two hours later he was up crying again so I took him outside for 5 minutes to see if he had to go potty but he didn't. After I returned him to his crate he cried another 15 minutes before going back to sleep.

Our concern is the breeder mentioned he slept through the night for her and she didn't need to let him out anymore for potty.

My two questions. When I read tips for crate training half the people suggest you keep the crate near you at night, acknowledge the puppy but don't take him out. The other half suggest you ignore him completely and he will get used to it. Which is correct?

The other, since he is 4 months and doesn't go in the crate until 11:00 or later when I go to bed and he is up by 6:00 - 6:30 with my DW should he be able to make it without going out to the bathroom? I don't want to start getting him out of the crate and making him think it's OK to whine at 2:00.

Stitchahula
10-09-2008, 04:00 PM
How big is the crate is it big enough for you to climb in laying down leaving the door open (with you legs sticking out of course). If so try laying down inside the crate and call her in (if you have enough room) Then just sit there and pet her for a while. Leave the crate open with the 2 of you in there. The previous owners might be the reason why she hates crates. If she doesn't think of the crate as a good and safe place then she won't want to go into it. Can you maybe block off the kitchen so she can have the run of that while you are working on the crate training. I've groomed dogs that CANNOT be put into a crate they would have such a fit I was afraid they would hurt themselves. They actually dug at the crate so badly at home they bloodied their paws. Some dogs just hate the crate. Continue with the treats and toys and anything else you can think of so she doesn't think of the crate as punishment but instead of her own private area. Good luck.

DisneyDog
10-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Yesterday, we spent the day together as an entire family. We took Muffin to an outdoor restaurant and for a nice walk in Fairmount Park/Wissahickon (Valley Green) in Philadelphia. We all really bonded with her even more. I think she's feeling more comfortable with my husband now, and feeling like it's okay to be alone with him without me.

Anyway, this morning I had to crate her to leave for work. My DS6 suggested that I NOT put the radio on, since it had been on and we haven't had much luck with that. I put some treats in her crate and gentle guided her inside. She didn't fight me and she ate up her treats. We made it out the door and she didn't cry (!!). Then, I came home at lunch and she didn't freak out when I came in to let her out. And, I got her back in using the same manner I used in the morning.

So, I think we may be making progress! I'll just keep doing the same thing and hopefully we'll overcome this obstacle. She is turning out to be a wonderful dog...she even let us trim her nails last night without making a peep!

vizsla
10-10-2008, 03:55 PM
That's great news, just be patient with her even if if she does resist at times and it should all work out in the long run.

DisneyDog
10-13-2008, 11:41 AM
We did buy her a new crate last night. I thought maybe she didn't like using my late dog's crate. It was kind of old. The new one is really nice. Hopefully all will be well when I go home at lunch:thumbsup:

Stitchahula
10-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Keeping My fingers crossed for you.

RenDuran
10-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Glad Muffin is doing better in her crate.

DisneyDog
10-15-2008, 04:23 PM
The new crate didn't matter at all. She still hates it. We are going to keep going with it because we hope to travel with her in the future, and it's better in a hotel room if she can be quietly crated. However, she has adjusted very well to being a part of our family. We are going to start trying to give her "run of the house" in small increments and see how she does. I was home this morning and she actually spent a good deal of time not following me around, but instead asleep in the guest room along with the cat.

So, my plan is to eventually give her run of the house for 1/2 of the day (I come home for lunch), and if there are any days where I can't make it home for lunch, she would be crated so as not to have any problems. That way she is still exposed to the crate.

Katzateer
10-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Another thing about crates-you should just get one big enough for your dog to turn around in and lay down. don't put a little dog in a big crate-I think it is the den-type feeling-they feel cozy and safe in their own small space. My dogs like to just go in their crates and lay down-it is their spot to relax.

Good luck:thumbsup: