PDA

View Full Version : Disney College Program

chrisb26
10-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I have some questions about the Disney College Program.

I was thinking of going for the Spring 09 session. But had some questions about it.

How long does it take to get accepted? I was reading some people it took like 6 weeks. My problem is that the CP presentation doesn't come to my school until November 12th and I don't want that to be too late and take 5 or 6 weeks since that would be right before I would probably be leaving. Would it be better to just apply online and not go to that presentation?

Is it difficult to get accepted? I was reading the requirements which I do qualify for them all but was wondering if its difficult to get accepted.

Also how likely are you to get what you apply for like if I choose Attractions would I get it?

Does anybody know the actual start of the Spring Program? I know its January but was wondering when exactly.

How important is it to bring a car? I know they say if you can. I also know that they have the buses and such. I was just wondering because my truck is older and might not like the 1200 mile trip all the way down there. Also since gas isn't the cheapest it would probably be more affordable if I didn't bring it.

I have more questions but can't think of anymore right now :D

Thanks for the help!

joanna71985
10-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I have some questions about the Disney College Program.

I was thinking of going for the Spring 09 session. But had some questions about it.

How long does it take to get accepted? I was reading some people it took like 6 weeks. My problem is that the CP presentation doesn't come to my school until November 12th and I don't want that to be too late and take 5 or 6 weeks since that would be right before I would probably be leaving. Would it be better to just apply online and not go to that presentation?

Is it difficult to get accepted? I was reading the requirements which I do qualify for them all but was wondering if its difficult to get accepted.

Also how likely are you to get what you apply for like if I choose Attractions would I get it?

Does anybody know the actual start of the Spring Program? I know its January but was wondering when exactly.

How important is it to bring a car? I know they say if you can. I also know that they have the buses and such. I was just wondering because my truck is older and might not like the 1200 mile trip all the way down there. Also since gas isn't the cheapest it would probably be more affordable if I didn't bring it.

I have more questions but can't think of anymore right now :D

Thanks for the help!

Hey there! I can try to answer your questions:
1. I see your presentation isn't until Nov. I would do the online presentation (especially if you want a really popular role). If you don't mind waiting that long, by all means go to the school presentation. Usually it takes about 3 weeks or so to get a letter.

2. Not really. As long as you are 18+, have done at least 1 semester in school, are in good standing with your school, and have a good personal record, you should be fine.

3. It all depends on how many people applied already. Some roles take limited CPs (like transportation, BBB, ect). The longer you wait to apply, you run the risk of some roles filling up.

4. Spring starts early Jan (I believe the first check in date is Jan 5), and Spring Advantage starts later in Jan (I believe the first date is around Jan 22). Quarter starts in March.

5. If you can, BRING IT!! It makes everything so much easier. You can survive without a car (I have for all 4 of my CPs). But I wished I had a car with me.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Also, they are getting more selective and bringing in more internationals. A lot of CP's had their program terminated with the option of being able to return in their same position next year.

Sadly, right now is when I wish they would reduce the number of CPs or at least cut their hours back a bit. They are taking away hours from those who need it because they always get 30-40+ hours, some are geting 50-60 and I'm getting 0.

chrisb26
10-09-2008, 12:27 PM
5. If you can, BRING IT!! It makes everything so much easier. You can survive without a car (I have for all 4 of my CPs). But I wished I had a car with me.

I probably will end up bringing it as I do know the area and I have some family down in Kissimmiee and would probably visit them.

Also, they are getting more selective and bringing in more internationals. A lot of CP's had their program terminated with the option of being able to return in their same position next year.

Do you mean they were down there already and had it stopped?

Another question I had was I know there are rooms with like 4 3 and 2 bedrooms do you get to choose which you want? For example I am not sure I would want the 4 bedroom with 7 other roommates as that seems like alot would I be able to choose a smaller room?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-09-2008, 03:29 PM
They were down here and given the option to cancel their contract and return later or stick it out with the less hours (the rent comes out of the check). Some who were accepted and scheduled to come down were told not to and given positions in the next semester if they still wanted it.

You can choose what size room you want, but the less room, the more rent you pay which comes out of you paycheck.

joanna71985
10-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Another question I had was I know there are rooms with like 4 3 and 2 bedrooms do you get to choose which you want? For example I am not sure I would want the 4 bedroom with 7 other roommates as that seems like alot would I be able to choose a smaller room?

You can request the apartment size/complex at check-in, and they will try to put you there. I have been lucky so far, and have gotten what I wanted all 4 times. To help your chances, try to get to check-in as early as possible!

chrisb26
10-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses :D

One last one for now until I think of another lol

If I were to just apply now and not wait until the Nov presentation at my school, I would have to watch the presentation online which I have done already but will probably watch again. I know you have to do the application before your interview but I was a little confused.

If I don't go to the campus presentation I would do the application then the interview then send in the application? Or would I have to send in the application first then schedule the interview?

That confused me because I know if I go to the campus presentation I would just give the application to them and schedule the interview but wasn't positive how it works with the online presentation.

joanna71985
10-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses :D

One last one for now until I think of another lol

If I were to just apply now and not wait until the Nov presentation at my school, I would have to watch the presentation online which I have done already but will probably watch again. I know you have to do the application before your interview but I was a little confused.

If I don't go to the campus presentation I would do the application then the interview then send in the application? Or would I have to send in the application first then schedule the interview?

That confused me because I know if I go to the campus presentation I would just give the application to them and schedule the interview but wasn't positive how it works with the online presentation.

If you do the online presentation, you fax and mail in the application yourself. You can do it before the interview if you want (unless you need it for the interview) because they will have your info already.

TheRustyScupper
10-10-2008, 10:20 AM
. . . Sadly, right now is when I wish they would reduce the number of CP's or at least cut their hours back a bit. They are taking away hours from those who need it because they always get 30-40+ hours, some are getting 50-60 and I'm getting 0 . . .

1) Even most part-timers won't work for the pay of a CPer. *
2) Besides, CP's pay big bucks for the condo rooms, and need the hours.
3) And, there are zero benefits for CP's, such as most part-timers can get.
. . . basic health care
. . . 401(k)
. . . WDWC-ACRP retirement fund
4) WDW is still about paying as little payroll and benefits costs as possible.

* I haven't really asked CP person this year, but early last year they only made $6.80/hr, and that was before room allowance was deducted from their paycheck.