PDA

View Full Version : Things to do for Little boys

snuggs30
10-07-2008, 08:50 AM
I have a 6 yr old son and I am trying to find things to do with him at the parks. Girls have the fancy dresses and the princess makeover, but what do they have for boys? He is really into pirates and doesn't know a thing about Star Wars, but I am looking for something for him to get done or do. Do they have anywhere where you can go get his hair colored or mickey stenciled in it? We got his haircut a few years ago and the lady then said they could not spray a mickey in his hair?? But does anyone know if that has changed?

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't know if he's too young for it or not, but my son loves Lights, Motor Action Stunt show...I can't stand it so I think it must be a boy thing:blush:

cer
10-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I believe I read somewhere that the Main Street Barber shop offers these types of services...you might want to check into that.

krose78
10-07-2008, 09:34 AM
The barbershop on Main street does put a mickey on the head with some sparkles. The kids liked it till they had to wash it out of their hair. It took a few washings to come out completely.

cer
10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Also, I have both a girl (10 yrs) and a boy (8 in Dec). We have always found plenty to do non-gender specific and we have been going to WDW as a family since 2006 when the kids were 7 and 5.

Something we do that is non-gender specific, is pin trading. We purchase one pin of their choosing per day of our stay for each child (actually each family member - Mommy and Daddy like the fun, too). They enjoy trading them (we only trade with cast members), and they each get to choose exactly what they want.

Some people have a real concern that the offerings tend to be gender biased - our family has never had that concern. We gladly forego princess dinners and Bibity Bobity Boutique and always find plenty to do that entertain all of us - boy or girl.

Good luck and have a great time!

c&d
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Not in the parks, but I suggest the Pirate cruise out of the Grand Floridian. My son has gone on it 2 times and absolutely loved it. I think there's also one out of the Beach Club.

disneymom07
10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
In Jan my DS4 and DS7 went to the BBB in the Magic Kingdom and got their colored and a mickey on the backs of their heads. It was really neat and they enjoyed the experience. We are going to do it again this Jan, but only DS5, it only costs $7.50. I also have my DS5 going on the Pirate Cruise at the Grand Floridian. He is so excited. Good Luck!

Tbelle1976
10-07-2008, 11:14 AM
This all sounds great, we will be there in 4 months and my son is 7. Looking forward to trying the Barber Shop and the cruise for him.

snuggs30
10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
In Jan my DS4 and DS7 went to the BBB in the Magic Kingdom and got their colored and a mickey on the backs of their heads. It was really neat and they enjoyed the experience. We are going to do it again this Jan, but only DS5, it only costs $7.50. I also have my DS5 going on the Pirate Cruise at the Grand Floridian. He is so excited. Good Luck!

How do i find out about the cruise? Do they go by themselves? He lacks a little in social skills because of his Autism but if someone can go with him I think he would be ok! So the BBB is the barber shop? That's awesome that they do that now. How long does the color stay for?

3AMommy
10-07-2008, 11:34 AM
How do i find out about the cruise? Do they go by themselves? He lacks a little in social skills because of his Autism but if someone can go with him I think he would be ok! So the BBB is the barber shop? That's awesome that they do that now. How long does the color stay for?

The cruises go out of different resorts with lake access. POR does one, GF does one...you can look for it on the WDW website. I think I found it under the new celebrations catagory.

The barbershop is NOT the BBB. It is in MK just as you enter under the train station on Main street head to your right toward the firestation. You will see the signs for the Harmony Barbershop and often will find the Dapper Dans singing near there. My son got his hair spiked with purple gel and they "painted" a mickey on the back of his head then covered everything with sparkles and Mickey glitter. it was awesome!!!

I also recommend visiting a face painting booth. They do some amazing looks!

Be sure to stop in the POTC gift shop for some pirate-wear too!!!

I have two boys and have never had to look very far for fun things for them to do!!!

Have a great and magical trip!

3AMommy

Jeff G
10-07-2008, 11:36 AM
The Barber Shop is just to your left as you enter Main Street USA near the Firehouse. My DS who is 9 has had his haircut there the past three years. It's on a first come basis. We find ti quite in the late afternoon near parade time. A few weeks ago he was getting his haircut while whatching the parade. It worked well becuase the rest of the kids were outside watching the parade and entertained. The cost of a cut is $14+tip and they include sparkle & a Mickey on the back of the head if desired. My 3 yr old DS didn't need a cut but for $7.50 they gave him sparkles and color which he thought was awesome.

A few other things my boys loved with no additioanl cost:
*Exploring Tom Sayer Island(they still talk about the caves a week later)
*The Shooting Arcade in Adventure Land
*The Jedi Training at HS
*The Jack Sparrow Show outside of POTC

mudpuppysmom
10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Alot of posters have covered the barbershop....and yes I can chime in that they DO put a Mickey head on the back of heads with colored gel and them mickey confetti.....and not just for little kids either (If I could figure out how to link up the picture I would show you guys that in January DH AND DS both got hair cuts and mickey heads on the back of their heads......DS said he would buy DH ice cream if he did it......DH got LOTS of strange looks all day at MK and Epcot for his sporting colored gel and mickey confetti in his hair, but he told one guy......it's for the kid in me!!.

As for other things to do: Pirate cruises have been mentioned. I am not sure about how they might accommodate your son b/c adults are not permitted to go on the cruises with the kids, so yes they go themselves (I cut the strings a couple years ago myself). You might call Disney and ask if they have an aide go on trips with kids who need a little extra help. There are already 2 CM's that go on the boats, but maybe they might put an extra on for him to be comfortable.

In Epcot our DS LOVES LOVES LOVES hanging in FW!! Innoventions East and West have LOTS of interactive exhibits that kids enjoy. Also, you can make your own paper at one of the exhibits.....there is a kidcot in there and video games, the firehouse safety thing....so much more that I'm not even mentioning!!

Also in Epcot is the Living Seas....aquarium that our DS could spend all day in if we would let him!!

The countries have some interesting things in them too ---kidcot stations many locations!! One other thing to mention might be Miyuki....she is the Japanese candy "lollipop" maker...I say lollipop maker loosely....these are works of art that happen to be edible (although we have never eaten one)!!

Depending on when you go -- for example during the holidays (Late Nov. and December) there are lights up and also storytellers in each country that tell of the Christmas story and talk about traditions....something he might like.

In AK there are a couple walking trails that he might enjoy....and birdspotting on one of them (I can't remember which one though -- we walk both trails so many times each trip!!)

Pin trading can be a nice thing, but it can also be expensive......and it is addicting!! My cousin started DS off a few years ago and now he is really into pin trading!!

At MK some other posters mentioned a few things like Adventureland and the shooting arcade in Frontierland.

I think my advice to you would be to look online (try Info Central) and see what types of things might appeal to your DS specifically and go from there. You know what he likes and doesn't like and also what might upset him.

Take things slow too -- the little people in our lives like to look at stuff too -- they just have shorter legs and don't cover as much ground as we can!! (This coming from a park commando!!!:D).

Before we go I pull out park maps and sit down with DS and ask him what HE wants to do and then we go from there and try to see what ALL of us want to see and do -- which a 6 year old needs reminding of every once in a while:blush:

Have fun planning with him and have fun while you are there!!

MaxPower
10-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I have yet to see any boy not LOVE Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin in the Magic Kingdom.

The same is true for Toy Story Mania at the Hollywood Studios.

jwallace378
10-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Or you could rent one of those little Water Mouse boats and have your own "pirate cruise"

jonah'smom
10-07-2008, 06:55 PM
My DS8 always loves to get the temporary tatoos while we are there. One year he got a Mickey as Indiana Jones and was so proud of it! They are pretty reasonable and they will last about a week. I know they have them at DHS next to Pizza Planet, not sure about any locations at the other parks.

And last year, DH took him fishing at Port Orleans Riverside. They have cane pole fishing there that is really cheap. That may also be an option. I think there are other fishing locations as well.

Have a great trip!

Iluvpooh
10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
My nephew loves to go to the LEGO store at DTD and play with all the LEGOS-They have several tables set up and it is free, but be warned you may not be able to get away without buying a $30+ set of LEGOS.

Mickey'sGirl
10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
I have two sons, and their favourite non-ride activity (besides eating :bar: :bar: ) is the shooting arcade at MK. We have spent a lot of time over there...

I just read Iluvpooh's comments above....YES YES YES....The LEGO store is a must do. Fantastic sets, or fun little create your own guys for just a couple of bucks. We always make at least one visit to the LEGO store each trip.

snuggs30
10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Wonderful ideas from everyone! We are going to do a couple! The cruise will be out, since a very mean CM said what was I doing putting my child with that PROBLEM on the cruise!! Made me mad and I let him have it! So what all he has is a little lack in Social Skills, how will he learn if I can't take him anywhere!! Very disappointed with CM at disney reservations

handmaidenofprincesses
10-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I don't know if he's too young for it or not, but my son loves Lights, Motor Action Stunt show...I can't stand it so I think it must be a boy thing:blush:

Not true! I'm a girl and I love it! (of course, I am a bit of a gearhead lol):car:

Wonderful ideas from everyone! We are going to do a couple! The cruise will be out, since a very mean CM said what was I doing putting my child with that PROBLEM on the cruise!! Made me mad and I let him have it! So what all he has is a little lack in Social Skills, how will he learn if I can't take him anywhere!! Very disappointed with CM at disney reservations

That's terrible! I hope you gave him heck:mad: and filled out that little electronic survey thing at the end of the call!

lighteningqueen
10-09-2008, 11:09 AM
At Bibbity Bobbity Boutique, they have a place for guys and boys to get there hair spiked or colored and are given a sword or something like that. Or it has a pirate play space. We are going to try this with our grandson this Dec. He is also going on the Pirate cruist at the Yacht Club. Many have said this is the best thing that the kids loved even girls. He is 5 this year. The CM said he will love it and many on the boards as well. But our grandson loved it all. There is a bone graveyard in AK to dig up bones. Tom Sawyers Island and a fort somewhere in Frontierland that we didn't get to do last time. So this time he will be doing all of those. Plus we are doing Crystal Palace for Pooh even though he is almost outgrown it, we haven't ha ha. Lights camera Action he LOVED IT!!! boys tuff for sure.INdiana Jones Stunt show. I even liked it. List goes on on and on...He wants to do it all. After all its Disney. They also have a Pirate tutorial or skit put on with kids interacting somewhere, we missed that so thats a must. The new T-Rex restaurant will be open Oct 14 walk ups only so we are doing that over in DTD. He will not be bored I promise you.

lighteningqueen
10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh yea, you must get autographs of the Power Rangers. It is so fun to watch those guys strike a pose. I am a grandmother and thought this was the best, Just watching the little boys and big waiting in line to get the sig and then take a posed sig with them. Make sure you bring a auto book with fat marker with you and the camera. He will talk about this forever. Don't forget Mini Golf. It was so much fun and dressed up in Xmas decor. Little airstreams etc. He loved that. We only have this one grandson and this is his 2nd time and he cannot wait to do it all. Of all the things I thought he would be bored of was the hall of Presidents, he was fasinated about them and told me when it was over. I really liked that grandmama" he didnt understand a thing of it but the movements etc, was the best. Get down close though so you can see there faces. We were to far up. Nemo has the huge shark tanks etc, he didn't want to leave there. I know this is so long, but when you only have a son its so easy to see the boy things. We haven't a clue other than the CRT breakfast din lun, all Princess's, even though they say they have a prince there and are given a sword and special attention at your table. Most everything is fun for all. and