PDA

View Full Version : Can you name attractions with Celebrity Voices?

MaxPower
10-07-2008, 01:19 AM
I am curious in getting everyone's help to create a list of all of the celebrities who lend their voices to attractions in the four theme parks at Walt Disney World.

Some are obvious, such as Ellen Degeneres and Bill Nye at The Universe of Energy. Some are simply recognizable like Dame Judi Dench on Spaceship Earth. And others may surprise some people such as Paul Ruebens ( AKA Pee Wee Herman) on Star Tours.

Equally interesting to me would be a list of the attractions that once had celebrity voices, but no longer do or simply no longer exist. For example, Jeremy Irons and Walter Cronkite on Spaceship Earth, Robin Williams and Rhea Perlman as the Timekeeper and 9-Eye, or Kathleen Turner as the narrator of The Living Seas.

Can you name others?

EpcotFan182
10-07-2008, 01:40 AM
hmm...I don't know them all but I'll name the ones I do!

Past & Present!

Spaceship Earth - Walter Cronkite, Jeremy Irons, Judi Dench

UoE - Ellen DeGeneres, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Alex Trebek, Jamie Lee Curtis, & Ellen Cleghorne

M:S - Gary Sinise

Test Track - John Michael Higgins

Body Wars - Tim Matheson & Elizabeth Shue

The Making of Me - Martin Short

Soarin' - Patrick Warburton

JIYI - Rick Moranis & Eric Idle

Dinosaur - Phylicia Rashad

The Timekeeper - Robin Williams & Rhea Perlman

Cranium Command - Dana Carvey, Bobcat Goldthwait, Kevin Nealon, Jon Lovitz & George Wendt

Captain EO - Michael Jackon

I know there must be more :mickey:

kakn7294
10-07-2008, 08:29 AM
A couple of others:

Pirates of the Caribbean - Johnny Depp

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - Tim Allen

Tower of Terror - Rod Serling

Rock 'n Roller Coaster - Aerosmith

laprana
10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
How about Drew Carey in the God-awful Sounds Dangerous at DHS?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I love Patrick Warburton! He is like the only reason I ride Soarin'.

Although I don't think Johnny Depp actually provided the voice for Jack on Pirates. I think it's the same one the used for the KH video games. Now Davy Jones is really the same actor.

Imagineer1981
10-07-2008, 10:23 AM
I love Patrick Warburton! He is like the only reason I ride Soarin'.

Although I don't think Johnny Depp actually provided the voice for Jack on Pirates. I think it's the same one the used for the KH video games. Now Davy Jones is really the same actor.

I thought I saw a "making of" and it was Johnny who provided his voice?

Anyhow,

Don't forget these:

Magic of Animation: Eddie Murphy and formally Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite

Backstage Tour: Bette Midler

Space Mountain: the old screens used to have A.C. Slater (forgot his real name)

Alien Encounter: several actors including Tim Curry as the S.I.R. and then the dad from Beetlejuice, and the 2 other "main actors, the guy and girl" Sorry, I don't know their names

CoP: again, bad with names but the guy who does the voice over on Christmas Story

Making of Me: Martin Short

Canada movie: Martin Short

Body Wars: the captain was a big 80s star

I am sure there are many more, again sorry for forgetting names

WDWdriver
10-07-2008, 12:44 PM
The voices of Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees are heard in several attractions. Ravenscroft sang "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" for "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", and was the voice of Tony the Tiger for Kellogg's Frosted Flakes. He is the voice of Buff the buffalo in Country Bear Jamboree, and the lead singer in "Grim Grinning Ghosts" in the Haunted Mansion.

Paul Frees was known as the voice of Boris Badinov in the Rocky and Bullwinkle TV show. He provided several voices for Disney. He is the Ghost Host in the Haunted Mansion, and is also heard in Pirates of the Caribbean as the ship's captain in the battle scene and the auctioneer.

MaxPower
10-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Siskell & Ebert used to appear in the Backstage Walking Tour when the kids would ride the bee.

Jeffrey Jones and Kathy Najimy appeared as aliens in Alien Encounter.

ColtsDonald
10-07-2008, 03:21 PM
How about the Tiki Room? There has to be someone famous in there!

MaxPower
10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
That's right. Of course, Iago is in the Tiki Room voiced by Gilbert Gottfried. And I believe the two birds that emcee the pre-show are both celebrity voices. I believe one of them is Don Rickles. Does anyone know the other?

SpecJoe Magic
10-07-2008, 06:02 PM
That's right. Of course, Iago is in the Tiki Room voiced by Gilbert Gottfried. And I believe the two birds that emcee the pre-show are both celebrity voices. I believe one of them is Don Rickles. Does anyone know the other?

The other is Phil Hartman. Phil was also the voice of S.I.R. in the original version of Alien Encounter, but he was replaced by Tim Curry in the second version. A lot of people don't know that there were two versions of Alien Encounter because the first one only lasted for a very brief time when the attraction opened in the mid 90s.

Don Rickles is also the voice of Mr. Potato Head in the Toy Story Midway Mania queue.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that the Monster Sound Show, which was replaced by Sounds Dangerous, starred Chevy Chase and Martin Short. I just realized that Martin Short is/was involved in several Disney attractions just by looking at this thread. I had never thought about it before.

Corey Burton did the voice of General Knowledge at Cranium Command. He has done numerous voices for Disney over the years including the Ghost Host during Disneyland's Haunted Mansion "Nightmare Before Christmas" makeover.

Iluvpooh
10-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Don't forget in the "Tiki Room" that Zazu is voiced by Rowin Atkinson aka-Mr. Bean.

bertasso59
10-07-2008, 09:15 PM
The narrator in CoP is Jean Shepard of 'Christmas Story' fame.He once had an excellent radio show on NPR that I listened to faithfully.
And the robot in the beginning stage of Stitch is Richard Kind of "bugs Life" and "Mad about you"

*Liz*
10-07-2008, 10:39 PM
There's also Wallace Langham in Dinosaur, John Michael Higgins in Test Track, and Kevin McDonald in Stitch. :)

badkitty
10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
More CoP:

The original Father of CoP at the 1964-65 World’s Fair was Rex Allen. In the current WDW production, he has a bit voice-over in the pre-show before you enter the theatre and plays the grandfather in the last scene. Oh, and Mel Blanc is Cousin Orville. (“No privacy at all ‘round this place!”) And of course Walt is there too - singing with the Sherman brothers and introducing CoP in the pre-show on the tv monitors out front!

Mr. Incredible
10-08-2008, 12:48 AM
PotC - Bill Nighy (Davey Jones)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-08-2008, 02:24 AM
It's Tough to be a Bug!

* Dave Foley-Flik
* Kevin Spacey-Hopper
* John Kennedy-The Announcer
* Cheech Marin-Chili
* Frank Oz-Weevil-Kneevil
* French Stewart-The Termite-Ator
* Bruce Lanoil-The Dung Beetle Brothers

Star Tours - Anthony Daniels, and Paul Reubens.

I believe all the voices on GMR are actual audio from the movies.

freeair
10-08-2008, 03:08 AM
oh JD was already mentioned..he's amazing for me..

Imagineer1981
10-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that the Monster Sound Show, which was replaced by Sounds Dangerous, starred Chevy Chase and Martin Short. I just realized that Martin Short is/was involved in several Disney attractions just by looking at this thread. I had never thought about it before.

Ya, it was Martin Short and Chevy Chase and that was a great show. The audience participated with the sound effects and it was really, really funny

Iluvpooh
10-08-2008, 11:22 AM
It's Tough to be a Bug!

* Dave Foley-Flik
* Kevin Spacey-Hopper
* John Kennedy-The Announcer
* Cheech Marin-Chili
* Frank Oz-Weevil-Kneevil
* French Stewart-The Termite-Ator
* Bruce Lanoil-The Dung Beetle Brothers

Star Tours - Anthony Daniels, and Paul Reubens.

I believe all the voices on GMR are actual audio from the movies.

Actually that is not Kevin Spacey on "Tough to be a Bug" He had it written in his contract that his voice couldn't be used for anything other than the film. No merchandise, Theme Park voice over, ect.. I did read somewhere that he visited the attraction and told Disney that he would have done it if he had known it was going to be so cool.

mac badger
10-08-2008, 12:53 PM
originally posted by WDWDriver:
The voices of Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees are heard in several attractions. Ravenscroft sang "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" for "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", and was the voice of Tony the Tiger for Kellogg's Frosted Flakes. He is the voice of Buff the buffalo in Country Bear Jamboree, and the lead singer in "Grim Grinning Ghosts" in the Haunted Mansion.

ive always loved thurl ravenscroft, he of the incredibly deep voice. sometimes dh and i will do a "thurl ravenscroft day" at the MK, where we just go on rides with his voice. there's haunted mansion (he is one of the busts, the one that is commonly mistaken for walt disney), country bear jamboree, the tiki room (i believe he is fritz), pirates of the carribean (background vocals), and splash mountain (background vocals)

MaxPower
10-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Illeana Douglas appears as Aerosmith's tour manager in the film for Rock N Roller Coaster.

Just a note - my favorite celebrity voice line in any Disney Park was when Kathleen Turner narrated the film at The Living Seas: "And it rained. And rained. And rained."

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-08-2008, 03:32 PM
He's listed as the voice according to wikipedia for the show.

The thing is that although his contract might have said that his voice can't be used, is that Disney has a similar contract that anything said in the movies can be pulled directly to shows and attractions, which means that they could have edited the audio to make the spiel in the show.

*shrugs* What can I say? I have no idea....

Iluvpooh
10-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks Jess-Now I'm curious. I'm pretty sure I read that in an edition of the "Unofficial Guide" so it would have come from Jim Hill, and we all know that his "inside" info is hit or miss.

Iluvpooh
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Just noticed when double checking that Hayden Panettiere was the voice of Dot in the movie. I didn't know that.

Found this on Wikipedia as well-

Hopper Is Not Played By Kevin Spacey
I'm not quite sure of it's official name, but in an Unofficial Guide to Disney World for 2008, it stated that Spacey's contract with Disney stated he wouldn't have to do any follow-up media beyond A Bugs' Life, therefor Spacey refused to do the part. The roll of Hopper in It's Tought to be a Bug is actually just an impression by one of the imagineers. If someone could get official confirmation of this, I'm positive this is true..

Now I wonder which one is true.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I wish I could remember what the contract was called. Ron Logan was telling us about it in class one day. It might just be synergy - but it was an Eisner thing and it said that anything used in the films produced after that year, would be free for Disney to use in any way they wanted to afterwards. This includes any shorts, films, promotions, videos, ride footage, character footage - it's all owned by Disney and can be edited for different purposes.

Since I know that this contract was an early Eisner move - pre Beauty and the Beast - that A Bug's Life would have been included and while Kevin Spacey may not physically do any work, they could use his lines from the movies, remix and remaster and reedit them to create the lines for It's Tough to be a Bug.

Now I want to know for sure too. LOL.

iDisney
10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
The full cast of Alien Encounter consisted of:

Tyra Banks: Hostess
Tim Curry: S.I.R.
Phil Hartman: T.O.M. 2000 (The original pre-show robot.)
Jeffrey Jones: Chairmen L.C. Clench
Kathy Najimy: Dr. Femus
Kevin Pollack: Spinlok

prttynpnk
10-10-2008, 01:29 PM
There's also Wallace Langham in Dinosaur :)
I was waiting for someone to mention him!
I love Dr Seeker!

Imagineer1981
10-10-2008, 03:26 PM
I wish I could remember what the contract was called. Ron Logan was telling us about it in class one day. It might just be synergy - but it was an Eisner thing and it said that anything used in the films produced after that year, would be free for Disney to use in any way they wanted to afterwards. This includes any shorts, films, promotions, videos, ride footage, character footage - it's all owned by Disney and can be edited for different purposes.

Since I know that this contract was an early Eisner move - pre Beauty and the Beast - that A Bug's Life would have been included and while Kevin Spacey may not physically do any work, they could use his lines from the movies, remix and remaster and reedit them to create the lines for It's Tough to be a Bug.

Now I want to know for sure too. LOL.

ok, so I listened to my Tough to be a bug audio from the attraction and to the movie and the voices aren't even close. its definitely not kevin spacey's voice, its deeper

badkitty
10-13-2008, 05:08 PM
How about the Tiki Room? There has to be someone famous in there!

The voice of Jose in the orignal was Wally Boag (one of the stars of the Golden Horseshoe Review at DL). Did they keep the same voices in the "take-over"?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
10-13-2008, 06:28 PM
One of my favorite, the one that ALWAYS let me know I'm at Disney World, it Jack Wagner's spiel on the monorail:

"Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas."

monkeycity
10-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I think that Jerry Orbach does the voice of Pierre, you rascal you, in Tiki Room. It used to be Ernie Newton until the redo :ack:

monkeycity
10-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Oh... Don't forget George W. in HoP. He's a celebrity, ain't he?

DisneyDog
10-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Then you must also include Bill Clinton in HoP.

Imagineer1981
10-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Then you must also include Bill Clinton in HoP.

ya, and the next president won't speak at all. Too bad for John McCain, he would give a good speach too

alex61821
10-15-2008, 05:59 PM
I have seen lots of stars in the Great Movie Ride, they are real aren't they?

Oh and Kermit the Frog in the Muppets in 4D.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-15-2008, 07:56 PM
ya, and the next president won't speak at all. Too bad for John McCain, he would give a good speach too

Not really. He'll probably kick it before the inauguration speech!:D

Besides, let's avoid future political views.

joelkfla
10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Walter Cronkite also narrated the Illuminations Holiday version from the 90's, and can still be heard in the Christmas "tag" that runs during Epcot's Holidays Around the World.

Mousemates
10-16-2008, 09:36 AM

Paul Frees was known as the voice of Boris Badinov in the Rocky and Bullwinkle TV show. He provided several voices for Disney. He is the Ghost Host in the Haunted Mansion, and is also heard in Pirates of the Caribbean as the ship's captain in the battle scene and the auctioneer.

Great little info bytes that I did not know....thanks.

Stich8818
10-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Dont know if this was mentioned yet but Cranium Command also had a couple of people doing voice overs. It had Dana Carvey and Kevin Nehlan (doing Hanz and Franz), George Whent, Bobcat Goldwaith,Charles Grodin and Jon Lovitz to name a few.

Greenlawler
10-17-2008, 03:22 PM

Paul Frees also provided the voices for many of the characters on the old Rankin Bass Christmas specials I grew up on. You know the old stop animation classics like Rudolph and Year Without A Sata Clause