PDA

View Full Version : Knee Surgery

Piglet822
10-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I go for my surgery on Friday. Arthoscopy(sp?) since I have torn cartilage. And while the doctor's there, he's going to shave the bone a bit.
So, if y'all could spare some good wishes I'll take 'em :) I don't like being put under so I'm already a nervous wreck and I'm driving Jim (my DBF) crazy!!! So, maybe some spare :pixie: for both of us, lol.

daparish
10-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi Jeanne,
I just had the exact same thing on Sept 16. I drove DH crazy. You would have thought I was having brain surgery. I do have a little advice. Get the pain medicine filled. My surgery was for noon and I was discharged about 4 that evening. The dr gave me a prescription for pain medicine. I told DH not to worry about getting it filled because it was really not hurting like I thought it would and we could wait until the next day to see if I even needed it. Around 2 that morning I woke up and was in lots of pain. DH was at Walgreens for 8:00 when they opened. The day after the surgery was pretty rough but by day two I could walk without the crutches on the front of my foot and by day three I could walk on my entire foot without the crutches for short distances. It was feeling better and by Saturday (surgery on Tuesday) I decided to go to the grocery with DH for just a few things and it really, really hurt so don't push yourself to soon. The dr told DH to make sure that I walked on it as soon as possible but I think I may have rushed things. The only problem that I had was fever. I ran a low grade fever for about 10 days after the surgery. I came back to work after a week but if you can take a little longer I would. Feel free to pm if you have any questions. I will be thinking about you. Best of luck.

Stitchahula
10-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Having to have 2 knee surgeries I can agree with Lori. On your way home from the hospital stop and get the pain meds filled before the pain meds from the hospital wear off.
Have you ever been put under before? If not be careful after I get sick to my stomach from the stuff they use to knock you out so try to take things slow. By that I mean getting in and out of the car, standing, things like that.
Get a bag of peas(frozen) mark them so you only use that bag for some reason that makes the best ice pack. You just use them refreeze and use them again. Remember to keep your knee elevated and iced I know it can be a pain in the neck doing it but it really does help.
Have take out menus ready for your hubby if he doesn't cook so he can order in for you for at least a few days.
Sending lots of prayers and :pixie::pixie:for you.

faline
10-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Jeanne! I'll bet you'll do fine! :pixie::pixie::pixie:

I had knee surgery several years ago. For me, the post surgery pain was absolutely nothing compared to pre-surgical pain. However, do expect it to be a while before you're back to your normal pre-surgical self!

Marilyn Michetti
10-06-2008, 07:14 PM
The best to you. Knee surgery is no fun (I've had both replaced), but you'll be so much better when it's over. Do what the Dr. says, for as long as he/she says, and treat yourself well. Let your DH pamper you, read some sappy romances, and watch Disney movies.:mickey:

ElenitaB
10-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Jeanne, best of luck with your surgery! I know that you'll do well and you know that you're in our prayers.

:pixie:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Jeanne, here's pixie dust for you and your DBF. I wish you a speedy and painless recovery.:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

RedSoxFan
10-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Jeanne --- I wish you the best with your surgery and a quick recovery.

Piglet822
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I have had anesthesa before so no worries there - Lori, I took a little over two weeks off but I'm hoping I don't need to stay out that long but I do need to make sure I'm ready when I do go back. Driving won't be the problem, getting in and out of the bus will be though. I just don't understand why the mechanics won't put that escalator in my bus :shrug:
I didn't think about the bag of peas. I like that idea and will definitely pick some up.
Jim's a sweetheart, so I'll be well cared for. His hardest job will be keeping my stubborn self from getting on my feet too soon :blush:

disneydeb
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Good Luck Jeanne!:pixie:

Beast_fanatic
10-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Lots of :pixie: headed your way!

Meerkat
10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Hang in there, Jeanne! I'm sure everything will be fine.

WDWdriver
10-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Good luck, Jeanne!

And what's this about a DBF? :confused: We need to talk!

MNNHFLTX
10-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Good luck with the surgery, Jeanne. I'll be thinking about you. :fingers:

Beach Club Babe
10-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Sending a bunch of :pixie:. I'm sure you'll do just fine! I had the same thing done when I was 18, that's a long time ago, but I bet they've made a lot of advances since then!

crazypoohbear
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Good luck and take it easy.

Piglet822
10-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Good luck, Jeanne!

And what's this about a DBF? :confused: We need to talk!

You haven't met him yet???? You'll have to PM me your schedule and we'll come meet you at AK. He's wonderful!!!!! You'll like him :D

SBETigg
10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Jeanne, best wishes that it all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

And a little extra for Jim.

WDWFanatic
10-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Jeanne, wishing you a quick and easy surgery. We'll throw in some extra pixie dust and prayers also.

At least we'll get to talk to you a lot since you won't be able to work...:D

Tinkermom
10-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey Jeanne,

I am having shoulder surgery on Tuesday and I have gotten an "ice machine" to use post-op. In my research I have found that people say it really helps the pain post-op. It is a small cooler with a pump and tubing attached to a wrap-around pad. You fill the cooler with ice water and it will constantly recirculate keeping the pad cold for 8-10 hours. I got mine on e-bay for about $30. Mine is a Breg Polar Care I have also seen another brand called DonJoy. The person I got mine from had used it for shoulder surgery as well. It was fairly clean but I went ahead and cleaned the outside and pad with bleach water and DH ran bleach water through it. You are not supposed to put the pad directly on your skin so in your case you would wrap the pad around your knee over top of your pants. I am hoping it helps as much as folks say it does!

Here is some :pixie: for you and saying a prayer that all goes well!

~Lisa

SgtTigger
10-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Jeanne.................. Dont drive Jim nuts..... you need him to take care of you.... if not then I would have to come down and take care of you.... and Ill brings FISH....... and they still have eyes :eyes:

Hope you get better soon and let us know how you make out..........

:tigger: :cop:

weswerx
10-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Don't worry, all will go well.
Just recover quick so we can hang out some next week. :mickey:

JerseyMouse
10-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Best of luck, Jeanne...and hurry back...TLW needs a conga line partner for Bob Jackson in November...;)

daparish
10-09-2008, 10:11 PM
:angel: We can be knee twins after tomorrow. ;) Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

weswerx
10-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Well, just a few more hours Jeanne....
Still sending prayers and pixie dust your way!

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Piglet822
10-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Hey Everybody. this is Goofyfan630 Piglet822 DBF

Everything went good. doc got the repair done on the torn spot and worked alittle on the ends of the bone. She came thru the surgery real good. and now is in our bed sleeping and drinking coffee. She will get on later and tell everyone how things are going.
thanks for the pixie dust and the prayers.

Piglet822 DBF ; Goofyfan630

Beast_fanatic
10-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the update Jim!

More :pixie: on the way for a rapid, low pain recovery!

SBETigg
10-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the update! I was thinking of Jeanne this morning. My husband was fitted for a device that will help him recover from his ACL surgery on Wednesday. I'm glad all went well and I send my best wishes for a fast, pain-free recovery. And kudos to the caregiver, too. :)

JerseyMouse
10-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks 4 the update, Jim...give that wonderful lady of yours a big 'ol wet one from JM and TLW!!

Hope 2 see you next month!!!!

Piglet822
10-10-2008, 08:37 PM
It's me :D

I'm doing better than I thought I would :) I remember absolutely nothing after being wheeled into the operating room. The next memory I have is waking up and asking for Jim and crying when the nurse said he couldn't come in yet. I'm sure there was a very good reason but as out of it as I was, the reason didn't matter. I just wanted Jim!!! He did come back a few minutes later.
I've been sleeping on and off most of the day and Jim has been taking very good care of me - made me coffee, brought me breakfast (and lunch) in bed, adjusted my pillow (leg has to stay elevated) I don't know how many times. He is definitely a keeper :heart:
I've got Perkoset (sp?) for the pain but I try not to take too much pain medication. But I am taking it as needed. I'll take two in a little bit so hopefully I can sleep thru the night.
Thank you all for the :pixie: and prayers. I was a nervous wreck because of the anesthesia (I'm always afraid I won't wake up) and I really needed all the good thoughts.
I'll keep ya'll updated on my progress.
And thanks again, you guys are the best :grouphug:

Thanks 4 the update, Jim...give that wonderful lady of yours a big 'ol wet one from JM and TLW!!

Hope 2 see you next month!!!!

When are you going to be here next month? We'll be in Austin, TX 11/7 - 11/10.

JerseyMouse
10-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Great to hear you're doing well!!! Our dates are 11/6-20.

ElenitaB
10-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Jeanne, glad to hear that things went well. Take as much pain meds as you need... a relaxed leg will heal much quicker than one tensed up against pain.

I've been thinking about you all day but didn't know when to call.

:pixie: for a quick recovery!

BronxTigger
10-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Good to hear it is going well so far!

:pixie: for a good recovery!

conorsmom2000
10-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Jeanne, I'm so sorry I'm late to this thread - but, I'm happy to hear that you are doing well after the surgery! Definitely take the pain meds as needed and follow the Dr's orders - you don't want to push yourself too much too soon! Thinking good thoughts that your recovery continues to go well!! :mickey:

And things are much better than compared to 23 years ago when I had knee surgery!! I was in the hospital for 5 days and left with a leg cast from my ankle to the top of my thigh, a 7 inch scar across my knee and a screw holding things in place! :( My twin brother had almost the same surgery 22 years later (mine was a little more intense as I'd dislocated my knee 2 x's) and he left the hospital with two 1 inch scars and two band aids!! :D

I do hope you are feeling well and getting some rest!! :cloud9:

weswerx
10-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Glad to hear everything went well and that you're recovering nicely.

Talk to ya' soon :mickey:

DrivingSideways
10-11-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm glad to hear that everything went well! I can understand not wanting to take too much of the pain meds. They made me feel really woozy!

I wish you a quick recovery!

daparish
10-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Jeanne,
So glad everything went well :thumbsup:. Sounds like Jim is doing a great job taking care of you. :pixie: for a speedy recoveyr.

MauiMouse
10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Jeanne, sorry I'm a little late on this thread. I'm glad to hear that everything went well with the surgery. I also agree with you that Jim is a keeper for you, he's one good egg.

Take care and see you in December hopefully!

:hug:

Piglet822
10-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Just thought I'd check in again - thanks everyone for the good wishes and :pixie:
It seems to be working :D Jim took the bandage off my leg for me yesterday and I finally got to wash my hair :)
I feel much better. There is still some pain but not enough to warrant the pain meds. The knee is bending much better but I have to remember not to get so pushy with it :blush: I'm walking by myself without the aid of the walker.
I made my followup appointment with my dr for next Monday so between now and then I'll be spending a lot of time on Intercot and resting up :piglet:

BronxTigger
10-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Yay! That is great news! :number1:

:pixie: for continued success!