PDA

View Full Version : Coins in water at Small World

MicMouse
10-06-2008, 11:33 AM
How much money do you all think is in the water around the Small World ride? My kids think its a million dollars! :mickey:

Do they ever clean that out and count how much money was in there, or are those coins there forever?

tarjaybuff
10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
I remember reading at a website that the money is donated to charity. Sorry I can not find the link anymore.

mickey&missy
10-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't remember where I heard it but I heard that ever so often they clean it out and donate the money to childrens charities!

I would guess they have to clean it out from time to time. I think it would clug the works of the ride after awhile!

Imagineer1981
10-06-2008, 04:19 PM
It is occasionally cleaned out and donated to various charities. The last time it was cleaned out was the big refurb if I remember correctly

IamBelle
10-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Oh, that's so nice and appropriate, since the ride is celebrating the world as well as children.

SpecJoe Magic
10-07-2008, 06:49 PM
I believe the coins at the Yeti shrine in the queue of Expedition Everest are donated to charities as well.

elmjimmlm
10-07-2008, 08:04 PM
How much money do you all think is in the water around the Small World ride? My kids think its a million dollars! :mickey:

This is what my family always talk about in the ride and my kids try to guess how much too...My DD always asks me where the money was in there that I threw in when I was her age...(about 30 years ago):blush:

Maleficent's Dad
10-07-2008, 08:29 PM
This question was once sent in to Dave Smith, director of the Walt Disney Archives.

He responded that Disney does not clean out the change from IASM, and contrary to popular belief, the money is not donated to charity. Part of his response did indicate that some of the money would not be suitable for use due to it being in the water for so long and unrecognizable.

Money from other fountains is indeed cleaned out and donated, but not from IASM.

Now methinks that when that big refurb was done a few years ago, the money was then cleaned out.

PirateLover
10-07-2008, 10:01 PM
We actually saw someone cleaning out the pond from the Poly waterfall area once and asked him where the money went. He said straight to the bank. He was not aware of any charity. Now, whether he really knows or not is certainly questionable. So I don't know for sure what they do with it. Just thought I'd pass that tidbit along.

TheRustyScupper
10-07-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't remember where I heard it but I heard that ever so often they clean it out and donate the money to childrens charities!

1) I wish I would have known that.
2) We usually rise iasw 5-7 times per visit.
3) We put our hands in the water to "cool off".
4) We usually bring up several dollars in coins.
5) We use it to finance our next trip.

Imagineer1981
10-08-2008, 10:39 AM
1) I wish I would have known that.
2) We usually rise iasw 5-7 times per visit.
3) We put our hands in the water to "cool off".
4) We usually bring up several dollars in coins.
5) We use it to finance our next trip.

Sorry, but your point 3 bothers me...I hate when people touch the water...just don't do it. Its not there for cooling off or splashing or whatever. There is nothing worse than going onto IASW and sitting on a wet seat from someone splashing or dipping their hands. Sorry, it just really annoys me

WDWFanatic
10-08-2008, 11:38 AM
My guess is that Rusty was joking. If not I may have to start the same thing;). Yes-I am joking.

I have always been surprised at how wet those seat get.

TheRustyScupper
10-08-2008, 12:01 PM
My guess is that Rusty was joking.

Yep.

ColtsDonald
10-08-2008, 02:27 PM
This might be a stupid question, but dont you think there is so much change in there it might actually affect the ride eventually?

I know this would be a huge amount, but I would guess they have to go through and at least pick up some once in a while.

TheRustyScupper
10-08-2008, 04:34 PM
This might be a stupid question, but dont you think there is so much change in there it might actually affect the ride eventually?

I guess it depends upon whether there are more quarters than dimes.