PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland with a Disability

dmickg
10-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Hello All,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on getting some info about visiting disneyland with a mobility disability.

I have read through the disability guide on disneylands website and have not found any info on my specific type of disability.

I had major back surgery (lumbar fusion) a year ago. Now my problem isn't aggravated by walking but rather by standing still or mostly still while waiting in line.

I can get around without a wheelchair or ecv as walking does not aggravate my condition but standing does.

On a previous trip (3 years ago) to disneyworld I remember all I did was visit guest services on the first day of our trip and I was given a card that allowed me to use the fastpass lines at all attractions instead of the regular lines.

I'm actually visiting for my 31st birthday next sunday oct 12th and being my age I'd feel really uncomfortable being pushed around in a wheel-chair or ecv for the day with my whole family around me.

Any info you can provide would be wonderful.

Thanks.

BrerGnat
10-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Disneyland has a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) that is available at Guest Services inside the park (in City Hall, Main Street). Go in there and explain your disability, provide some documentation for proof, in case they ask (a very simple doctor's note should suffice, or just a piece of paper stating your diagnosis and/or evidence of your surgery).

Let the CM know about your inability to stand for long periods of time and what sort of accommodations you need for lines. They will provide you with a pass that will allow you an alternate place/way to wait for attractions. Sometimes, this will be the fastpass line. Other times, it will be the wheelchair entrance at the exit of the line, which will be an open area that is roped off, where all the guests in wheelchairs wait in their own "line" while a CM controls when they each get on the ride. In that area, it's usually very open, so you would be able to just sort of walk around a bit, to avoid standing in one place.

I hope this helps! The card will be good for the length of your stay, if you tell them how long you will be there. You may have to get a new card each day, but you won't have to go through the process of explaining each time. They will give you a pass that you exchange for the card at City Hall each day of your trip.

NotaGeek
10-07-2008, 01:58 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!

As Natalie said, just take your documentation to City Hall and they will hook you up. If you have specific questions you might be able to find answers on the Official Disneyland Guests with Special Needs Page (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/gsDetail?name=MobilityDisabilityGSDetailPage) or try contacting guest services directly (https://secure-disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/contactUs?name=ContactUsPage).

Tamerella
10-29-2008, 11:24 AM
My mom and best friend have the same problem. My best friend just show her handicap thing from her car. She is a pph so now she just show her guest assitance card from her last visit. My mom has never had to show anything they are always very understanding