PDA

View Full Version : Acer Aspire Laptop?

merlinmagic4
10-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi - Looking for any feedback on an Acer Aspire laptop. My DD8 has saved enough money from her paper route to get an inexpensive computer. The price on these is great and I have read one good review. Does anyone have any personal experience with one? Our other option is probably a Dell. Any feedback on any PC machine would be great (we are mac users ourselves!)

DizneyRox
10-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Personally, I'm n ot a big fan of Acer. I just picked up a Dell (Small business laptop) and haven't had any trouble. Other here have.

They have always been responsive to folks that I know that have had trouble, but I haven't had any first hand experience with their support.

Keep in mind, the cheaper laptops will bbe bigger, heavier, etc than the most expensive ones. Right now I'm on a Dell Latitude D630 and love it. Battery life is great with the standard battery, the size is right for home and even mobile use. The list goes on... It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but my last one was a 15.4" Black Friday special. It was more a desktop replacement than a portable. We knew that goin and and it was fine for the time. Now I'm more interested in actually lugging this thing around, and that's much easier with a lighter laptop.

Oh, my previous was Toshiba and it was very reliable. The LCD went on it and replacement was done under warrenty and was fairly painless.

merlinmagic4
10-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks! Looks like there aren't any big fans out there! I know we should go with a dell but the Acer is SO inexpensive. I had never heard of it either. I guess I'll have to do more research on my own.

I appreciate your input :)

DizneyRox
10-05-2008, 09:03 AM
With a laptop, you really do get what you pay for... I often read reviews where people complain things they ordered are DOA, etc. Electronics are pretty sensitive, and often somewhat expensive. I don't trust my $$ to just anyone these days.

If you do go with a budget system, I would look at the extended warranty. If you MUST go through Worst Buy, I would definitely get the extended warranty. They won't even talk to you if you don't, but I can't say enough bad things about Worst Buy right now. I can't believe they are still in business.