PDA

View Full Version : DisneyLand Theme Park Review - First Visit

Chip Carlton
10-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Review of my trip to the Disneyland.

*As I stayed off-site at a small motel I am only going to review the Resort Theme parks themselves.*

Just like most of us I had been to Walt Disney World (WDW) plenty of times and it’s probably more than I can count on my fingers and toes. Being that Walt Disney is my idol I have always had a long desire to visit the charming Disneyland. Well just recently I had the opportunity to do so. This review is mostly about Disneyland and also a little about California Adventure.

Being that I had been to WDW countless times I went into Disneyland VERY critical because I had always heard about it. Well it more than lived up to its hype. What I really enjoyed about this park is the historical charm. I would not say it’s more “magical” than it’s counter part (Magic Kingdom) in Lake Buena Vista, FL but it’s way more charming and “cute.” I am going to list certain rides/attractions and review then individually and compare to WDW version of rides if possible…

Disneyland Attractions:
• Train – I wanted to ride this first so I could get a feel for the park itself and it didn’t really because of the foliage blocking the view into the park itself. The way you sat was OK. I like the feel of WDW’s because it’s almost like a real train that just sits forward instead of the side. Before going I never read anywhere about the dinosaur scene and others at the end so those were a pleasant surprise to end the trip around Disneyland.
• Sleeping Beauty Castle – It’s small but like I will say repeatedly, it was very “Charming.” Doesn’t compare to Cinderella’s at MK in WDW but it is a nice touch, especially since it’s 53 years old.
• Star Tours – Come on….this ride is still there, Geez
• Space Mountain – I loved it! You can sit by the one you are with instead of behind them. The soundtrack was a great touch and in this one you REALLY can’t see the track in front of you. The negative is the thrill isn’t as high as the WDW counterpart. There aren’t as many drops and it’s A LOT of Right turns… about 80% is just right turns. Overall is had a great theme and was a GREAT ride
• Matterhorn Bobsleds – Again..classic but my significant other sat in front of me in the same section and we KILLED our knees. It was almost not enjoyable at all because of it. We could have rode again but this one was drawing a LONG line.
• Pirates of the Caribbean – WOW!! WOAH!! This one MURDERS the WDW ride of PotC. I could not believe it. The blue bayou was great also! Though the queue in WDW is overwhelming and this one had nothing like that.. just inside building and onto the ride. Honestly most attractions at Disneyland were like that.
• Indiana Jones Adventure – Dinosaur but with an Indy twist. It was REALLY fun though. We rode this plenty of times to remember. Enjoyed every bit of it.
• Splash Mountain – I like this version but WDW’s version is superior due to the logs. I like to ride side-by-side (WDW) rather than back to back (DL)
• Haunted Mansion – Now this was really disappointing. Don’t get the wrong idea though. HM is one of my all-time favorites but the DL was closed the first 2 days we were in DL but then opened after they put in the “Holiday” overlay and wow how disappointing! I saw that the walls were down and people were going into the mansion so I screamed “YES!” and go to the queue faster than Usain Bolt only to be frustrated with this ridiculous “Holiday” version. Why even touch it? The haunted is scary and fits Halloween perfectly fine w/o Jack Skellington and the gang. Someone disagree? Maybe it’s just because I didn’t care for Nightmare Before CHRISTMAS anyways..but I just don’t understand this. I rode the ride once and didn’t even look at the mansion again. Can’t wait to ride HM without the overlay. This was just sad!
• Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – Just as fun as the one in WDW. There may be difference but I didn’t really notice many.
• “It’s a Small World” – It was closed for refurb … so sad!
• Peter Pan’s Flight – Is WDW’s version this short? I don’t remember it being that short but it was over right after he said “Here we goooo!!!”
• Alice In Wonderland – Call me crazy but I thought this was one of DL’s better Dark Rides. I’m not a big fan of Alice in Wonderland but this ride was great.
• Disneyland overall – I love the main street here. Magic Kingdom, no matter what time of year I go, always has Fireworks. We visited DL on a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and none of those days did DL have fireworks. I was disappointed. I know it’s off-season but MK seems to have them everynight..or maybe it’s just me.

Disney’s California Adventure:
• Toy Story Mania – I haven’t been to WDW to ride theirs but I know I love this ride. It’s great. So realistic feeling and fun for everyone.
• California Screaming – This was a really good coaster! Soundtrack could have been better.
• Tower of Terror – WDW is superior but this one was pretty good.
• Soarin’ – Same ride as WDW. Makes more sense (obviously because of ending) here though. Can’t wait to see the new video.
• Grizzly River Run – Way better than Kali River Rapids at AK in WDW. Kali ends way to quick and this one is the perfect length. Some people way want this to end fast due to the water though.
• California Adventure Overall – This park was way nicer and bigger than I expected. I really enjoyed it. I cannot WAIT until the complete overhaul or whatever it is their doing to it is completed though. It’s going to be fantastic. Such a beautiful park, it is.

Please reply with your opinions!

NotaGeek
10-03-2008, 06:11 PM
IMO there is no comparing WDW and DLR ... it's apples and oranges. Thanks for your report, and I am glad to see you enjoyed Walt's park! :mickey:

MegaDisney
10-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for posting.

Glad you enjoyed Walt's Park.

I have to disagree about the HM Holiday, while I understand if you were looking forward to the original HM how this may be a let down, the overlay is a fantastic Holiday addition to the park geared more toward the local frequent visitor. I LOVE both versions!

tinkwest
10-04-2008, 11:27 AM
... The haunted is scary and fits Halloween perfectly fine w/o Jack Skellington and the gang. Someone disagree? ...

Disagree. Our main reason for going in October is to enjoy Haunted Mansion Holiday. Excellent. :jack:

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for sharing your in depth views.

jonsmom
10-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks for your trip report. We are headed to DL in August and having been to WDW so many times, I am a bit nervous.

We are staying @ HOJO's cause of its great reviews.

Since you didnt mention any dining, can you give us any tips?

jonsmom

Melanie
10-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I enjoyed reading your comparisons, but I also have to agree that you really shouldn't compare the two, just enjoy each resort for their own unique qualities.

Too bad you weren't able to see Remember....Dreams Come True, because this show is absolutely incredible. In my opinion, blows Wishes away!

The queue thing....it's hot in Florida pretty much all year round, thus the indoor and more elaborately themed queues.

Love Haunted Mansion Holiday. It's a nice change, and I'm just a casual Nightmare fan.

I'm glad to see California Adventure exceeded your expectations. It gets such a bad rap, and it's a cute park.

Thanks for reporting!

NotaGeek
10-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks for your trip report. We are headed to DL in August and having been to WDW so many times, I am a bit nervous.

We are staying @ HOJO's cause of its great reviews.

Since you didnt mention any dining, can you give us any tips?

jonsmom

Feel free to check out the Dining and Accommodations forum, there's tons of hints/reviews ideas in other posts ... and why not start your own thread in there? You are bound to get some great advice! :mickey:

jonsmom
10-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks - I will check it out.

pdrlkr
10-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

ChipnDaleGal
10-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your first trip out to Walt's Park. It really is a very special place. It is hard not to try to compare WDW and DL, but I think they are both wonderful and have their special features.

I can understand your disappointment in not getting to see the original Haunted Mansion, but I do LOVE the Nightmare overlay. And I am not a fan of the movie at all. I just find it all very fun, like decorating for Halloween on a very large scale. I am taking my daughter, who is a crazy Nightmare fan, to see it for the first time in December. I can not wait to see her face light up with pure joy.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. :mickey: