PDA

View Full Version : What happens with complaints?

Cinderelley
10-02-2008, 11:12 PM
As some of you may remember, we had a some problems at CBR during our last trip. We brought it up while we were there, but nothing was done. I was going to write, but it didn't totally ruin our trip so I didn't. Then, Disney announced all the cutting back they were doing and then raised their prices. So, I basically wrote them a letter telling them they had a lot of nerve to deliver such poor service (even sent pictures of the mold in the room), cut out all the things we loved and then raise the prices. I did also praise some of the outstanding CMs we had the pleasure of meeting.

So, I received a call back from Disney. Since I work nights, I was sleeping while they called, and they obviously had to leave a message. The CM was very nice and stated that all of my comments were forwarded to the appropriate departments and listed each one - so they obviously read the letter in detail. What happens now? Does each department deal with each issue on its own? Will I hear from each department or is that pretty much all the contact I will receive? She did leave her number if I wanted to contact her.

BigRedDad
10-03-2008, 07:07 AM
In all honesty, especially during this economy, the information is probably sent to the necessary departments. However, I would doubt that there is any follow-up or resolution. I think the issues would get addressed if there were multiple complaints about the same thing. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if there are any other complaints beyond your own.

I think it is a positive that the called you. It tends to lean towards a concern they want to resolve. If you had a chance to speak with the CM, you would be able to know their level in WDW and could gauge how sincere they were to resolve the problems.

Fortunately, in all of my visits to WDW, I have only encountered one rude CM. It was an undercover security guard back in 1981 or 1982. I was "accused" of stealing something at the time and I had the receipt. It was a trip with my school and the Dean fixed the issue.

Figaro
10-03-2008, 07:40 AM
In recreation I know that they would every month print out the complains and thank you letters and everything in between that came in from guests and post them on the wall for all CMs to read. Department management does see the complains and commendations and does act on them. Next step will be the department management seeing the complaint and addressing it at management meetings and then providing the feedback to the CMs at breakout.... at least in Recreation that's how it works. Things like price changes are a little bit more difficult to change, but keep writing in. Disney hears your voice. :thumbsup: :mickey:

BigRedDad
10-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Figaro,
That's good to know that they do look at them. I know in some businesses, complaints are tossed out and ignored.

Ian
10-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Figaro,
That's good to know that they do look at them. I know in some businesses, complaints are tossed out and ignored.Looking at them and acting on them are two different things, unfortunately.

DizneyRox
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM
What happens with complaints?
In my experience?

It goes in one ear and out the other...

Disney's level of service has basically fallen off the face of the earth in recent years. Way back in 2000 I remember many CMs bending over backwards to help with questions, problems, concerns, etc. Lately, I've seen CMs just about put up their hand and say, "Talk to the hand!"

The level of CMs has decreased so dramatically I can't even put a finger on what the problem is. I thought it was Ei$ner, but Iger hasn't been much better. I'm at a loss right now, although I can only imagine with all the obvious cost cutting that's impacting guests that the cost cutting behind the scenes must be really bad. It's probably not even the CMs fault, they are probably not getting the training they should be getting to provide the level of service that expected. Maybe the focus of the training has shifted from guest satisfaction to plussing the sale.

Cinderelley
10-03-2008, 02:16 PM
In recreation I know that they would every month print out the complains and thank you letters and everything in between that came in from guests and post them on the wall for all CMs to read. Department management does see the complains and commendations and does act on them.

Figaro, do they ever use the compliments during the CM's annual review to give raises? That was my intention when I put in the CMs who went the extra mile.

Ian
10-04-2008, 08:30 AM
The level of CMs has decreased so dramatically I can't even put a finger on what the problem is. I thought it was Ei$ner, but Iger hasn't been much better.I think the problem is simple ... the resort just got too darn big to staff with anything even approximating Disney-quality Cast Members. You just can't find 60,000 people, 100% of whom are going to conform to the Disney way of doing things.

In addition, WDW is just so HUGE now that management has a nearly impossible task when it comes to overseeing everyone, communicating out to them in a consistent manner, and making sure people are doing what they're supposed to do. But even more than that, I think they've historically been afraid to fire anyone since replacing them is a big chore.

I hate to say it, but I don't think it can ever go back to the way it was ... not with 23 hotels, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, and all the rest ... they just got too big for their own good.

Figaro, do they ever use the compliments during the CM's annual review to give raises? That was my intention when I put in the CMs who went the extra mile.I don't know this for certain, but since WDW CM's are unionized it seems unlikely. Most raises in unions are done in a socialized model, not an individual one.

Cinderelley
10-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I hate to say it, but I don't think it can ever go back to the way it was ... not with 23 hotels, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, and all the rest ... they just got too big for their own good.

I don't know this for certain, but since WDW CM's are unionized it seems unlikely. Most raises in unions are done in a socialized model, not an individual one.

Oh. I didn't realize that unions work that way. We're a right to work state, and our raises are dependent on how well we work. I can see how this can add to the CMs not having any outside incentive to do a good job. Of course there's the ones who have the internal incentive, but with that many people employed, I'm sure that's not everyone.

Figaro
10-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Figaro, do they ever use the compliments during the CM's annual review to give raises? That was my intention when I put in the CMs who went the extra mile.

Nope. Not that I'm aware of. The Disney pay model isn't one I'm fond of. They are however rewarded with gift certificates, etc, etc. Nothing as lasting as pay. As far as customer service goes, we have what's called The Disney Basics. Pretty much, our stress on guest service. Nowhere in it is pushing sales. It's all focused on providing an exceptional experience to guests. CMs are required to go thru a class or two each few quarters. As far as management making adjustments to complaints, since it is such a large company, change takes time. It has to file up and down the full line of management from bottom to top back to bottom, which can take time. It's a lot of people to go thru and in the telephone game, the message may get distorted or rejected. As far as Disney being afraid to terminate. It's far from it. I myself was almost terminated, however, since I am a member of the union, they called out management on their wrongdoing and saved my job. It still cost me a promotion and pay raise because of their error. That's not to say they fire left and right, but they by no means are afraid to terminate people. Most of Disney CMs are now College Program, Management Interns, Intl College Program, and Career Start kids. They cycle in every quarter and leave 6 months later, with exception to Management Interns. Many don't seem to care about customer service. Me, personally, that drives me insane. I'm all about customer service, about going above and beyond, and about giving my all to make magic for someone and making their experience memorable. Seeing the quality of service lack is something I've seen, but with such a large and diverse group of people, it'll happen.

Cinderelley
10-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Maybe I'll try to call her back this week and see if she knows what has happened with the complaints so far. I expect it to be nothing, but maybe it'll give it a little push. Especially for the CMs. One of the CMs at Epcot really went out of her way for us over a situation that wasn't even related to Epcot (the monorail broke down).