PDA

View Full Version : Prefered Building at POP

Iluvpooh
10-02-2008, 10:14 PM
This is our first stay at POP Century and my entire family is going with us in Feb. We declined the prefered building because it is 4 roms and the price difference was a few hundred bucks.

What I was wondering is which building is the prefered building and does anyone have a reccomendation for a building request that is close to the bus stops that is not the prefered building. Thanks.

We have SEVERAL small kids and the walk is not something we are looking forward too.

Tink#64
10-03-2008, 01:05 AM
We have stayed at Pop for our last 4 trips & three of these stays have been in building 4 of the 60's section facing HourGlass Lake. It's preferred and very quiet with a nice view of the lake, and from the end of the walkway you can see SSE and some of IllumiNations at night. I don't think it's a long walk to Classic Hall and the bus stops, but it's not super close either! This year we made a very last minute, bare bones budget trip during Spring Break and decided not to pay the extra for lots of things including a preferred room. We were in the 70's section, & I'm thinking it was bulding 10, someone correct me if this is wrong. But we were super close to the parking lot, and the bus stops! We walked out to the side walk that ran between Classic Hall and that section of the parking lot and it was a much shorter walk than from our old preferred room! We were thrilled!
I don't know if you are driving, but one of the cm's had told me that the 60's parking lot was the closest & I trudged to the room toting alot of stuff only to find out that another parking area was only a few feet away from our bulding! It's actually the 90's parking lot! But we also saved money by driving this year, so we had our cooler & didn't pay the extra for the mini fridge! I'd much rather fly and pay the extra, but I don't know if I'll pay the extra for the room if I can be so lucky with the location again!
We usually make a room or building request with the inital reservation & then I check back later to make sure that they did include my request. I call Pop the day before arrival to make sure that the request is in place when they get my ressie info from Central Reservations. I know there are no guarantees, but we've always been very lucky & gotten the building that we requested! I think the CM's at Pop are fantastic! :thumbsup: Hope everything works out for you & that you have a magical trip! :tink:

BigRedDad
10-03-2008, 07:32 AM
The walks to the back buildings can be long, especially late at night. There are no specific "preferred" buildings, only rooms. WDW defines "preferred" as 500 ft from the lobby. The only real issue with room location is how far you want to walk to/from the buses, restaurant, and lobby. Honestly, I don't think the walk from any of the rooms would have been that bad. You just need to look at the shortest routes to begin with. In other words, it may be faster to walk through the parking lot to the bus instead of walking around to the lobby and then to the buses.

If you are still concerned with the distance, get there early in the morning on your arrival day to see if there is a way to switch your rooms to a more suitable location. Or, you can always book a preferred room.

3AMommy
10-03-2008, 09:31 AM
IMHO, I would definitely pay extra for the preferred rooms. We stayed in one of the 90's buildings (the cellphone). Our walk to the bus stops/food court from our room was a good 15 minute was each way. And that was through the parking lot.

Staying anywhere in the 60's buildings would be soooooo much better.

We were traveling with my three children and my mom and that extra walking at the end of the night really did them in.

Also, I found that it was a pain to have to walk 30 minutes round trip for my coffee in the morning.

We enjoyed the POP (aside from them not enforcing the no smoking policy) but will not stay there again. It is just too big for us. I also think it needs another food court to accommodate all the guests.

Get the preferred rooms!:D

snuggs30
10-03-2008, 09:38 AM
:confused::tink:I am wondering about the same question! I asked for the 50's area because all we need it for is to lay our head and take showers. I want to be close to the parking lot. Does anyone know if i made the right decision on that?

Disneyfamilyof3
10-03-2008, 09:45 AM
We stayed in the 50's area,...twice. My husband, who hates extra walking (which is why he would never consider Caribbean Beach again; and we were in preferred Martinique!); loved the 50's area! It's close to the main area, it has it's own laundry and private bowling pin pool. Now tha we stayed in the 60's , he likes that better; but I know he'd stay in 50's again.:D

handmaidenofprincesses
10-03-2008, 09:59 AM
After my graduation in '07 we payed the extra 80 something dollars to stay in a preferred room at Pop, and what a waste it was! We had a pretty short walk to the lobby but it was about a ten minute walk to the bus stops (which, when you're coming back at one in the morning having been at the park since it opened, is kind of annoying.) Plus, we were right next to the hippy dippy pool and it was soooo loud!! It drove me bananas. We're staying in the 70's building this time, I hope its better :)

etibbetts
10-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Last year we stayed in the 70's section by the Mickey Icon Phone. It was not a preferred room - however the walk was short and we felt very close to everything. This year we stayed in the 50's, overlooking the lake. It was very close to the bowling pin pool, but definetly much further from classic hall and the bus stops. I would recommend the 70's section - near the mickey phone / big wheel if you do not want to pay for preferred but want a shorter walk.

Iluvpooh
10-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks-I just called and requested the 70's Building.

ryca1dreams
10-03-2008, 10:45 PM
This may be too late, but I faxed to request 3 rooms at the 1970s a few weeks ago and instead was put in the 1980s (the 91-94 bldg) It was actually better. It was a really close walk to the bus stop through the 90s parking lot (probably the closest) and a fairly close walk to the food court. Plus there is a pool right there.