PDA

View Full Version : I need some suggestions...

elmjimmlm
10-02-2008, 12:59 PM
We are leaving for our trip 2 days after Christmas and I am having trouble trying to come up with an idea what to tell my kids why Santa wont be as "generous" this year...We usually go overboard on gifts for them and I know that this year will be different and I am stuck...They don't really get that this is a huge present because it wont be wrapped up under the tree with their name on it... Please help!:mickey:

WeLuvBuzz
10-02-2008, 01:36 PM
How old are your kids?

mickey&missy
10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I was going to ask how old they are also.

We're going to WDW January 3rd - 9th and I've told my kids many, many times that Santa isn't going to be nearly as generous. We are like you, we tend to go a little overboard with Christmas. I think they get it. DD may know the secret anyway, but won't admit it.

I just hope they won't be too disappoint without a living room full of stuff!

Jasper
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
If your kids don't already know about the trip perhaps you can get some type of Disney trinkets to wrap up and include a note saying that Santa is giving them the trip as a gift.

If they do already know about trip then depending on what you have already told them maybe there could be a letter from Santa saying that he is not bringing them as much because he is helping pay for the WDW trip or some kind of wording along those lines.

Another thing we have done when we needed to stretch things out is to wrap different parts of an item separately and that way they felt like they were getting more. Of course, this move depends a little bit on how old they are and if they will see through it or not.

My final thought is that if your kids are young enough will they even know the difference about how much they get?

disneymom15
10-02-2008, 02:22 PM
How about wrapping their luggage and putting it under the tree? Also, make a copy of their boarding passes and put them in a wrapped box. Order Disney gift cards or gift cards from your bank for spending money while at Disney.

AuntDJ
10-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Also (the age of your kids comes into play here too)....but since you know you will be spending $$ on stuff, go online, get some fancy clipart and make gift certificates...like one for mickey ears; world of Disney; make your own crown(lightsaber)..that sort of thing...

You could buy the autograph books, fanny packs, online and have Santa bring them...

When the kids write letters to Santa have them tell him they are headed to Disney, then when he gives things to be used in Disney they won't wonder how he knew.

I know it is hard when you spoil the kids at Christmas...guilty here too....but we did a version of this when we were going last year; and we weren't going until March....

Good Luck and Have fun!
DJ

elmjimmlm
10-02-2008, 03:13 PM
How old are your kids?

My youngest is 7 and the oldest is 12 (not a Santa believer)...:blush:

jrkcr
10-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Wrap up an envelope of disney dollars, whatever amount you'd be giving them to spend at WDW on souvenirs, t-shirt, etc.

At my brothers house, Santa leaves the kids gifts hidden all over the house with typed out clues and rhyming verses to find the next gift. Like the first clue is in their stocking, and they have to find that hidden gift, and with that gift is another clue to find the next gift. That way, the gift opening lasts longer, and I am sure watching his 3 "kids" run all over the house is funny. His "kids" are all women around/over 20, and now he has a granddaughter too. Plus, under the tree isn't the focal point of "wow-look how much we got." And I think Santa leaves a note with the very last gift saying "hope you had fun...keep being on the good list...." and whatever it is that Santa says to kids.

I hope Santa will do that at my house this year! I think my 3 DD's would like it too.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-03-2008, 08:50 AM
I told my son when I booked our Christmas Disney Trip that this was his Christmas gift....we are going to buy a couple of things at Disney to have to open Christmas morning, but that's it....believe me, he isn't disappointed at all:mickey: Unless the children are real little, I don't think it will be a problem