Jeff G
10-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Dining Rating -

Atmosphere: B
Food selection: A
Food Quality: B-
Service: D-
Overall Grade: B-

I love the theming and decor of Boma and that it's located in the AKL. The dining room is open and the restaurant was very loud with people moving around constantly which I didn't care for.

Upon arrival we waited a few short minutes before our party of 8 was seated. Our waitress arrived after a wait of five minutes took our drink orders. The service she provided was lacking the entire meal. After bringing our initial round of drinks she disappeared for almost 25 minutes. My drink was empty for most of that time and after she reappeared it took another five minutes to get my refill. We asked for a milk refill for my son which didn't show up and it took two more requests to get it. After we finished eating it took almost 20 minutes for her to bring the bill and to check us out. We were a group of 8 on the dining plan, I'm not sure if it's because she knew we had to tip 18% but the service was awful. Had it not taken almost two hours to get through the meal I would have asked for a manager to request that we be allowed to tip less but at that point I just wanted to be done.

The food selection at Boma was amazing with many options in soups, salads, meats, sides and deserts. I started off with the soups trying all four, they were all great but I especially enjoyed the seafood medley. Next I went straight to the hot meats and sides. I was extremely disappointed in the flavoring of the meats. Everyone in our group tried the prime rib and none of us cared for it. I'm not sure if it was spoiled/over aged or just didn't care for the flavoring but after two bites I started to loose my appetite. The taste was that of something rotten and stuck with me through the next morning. After half finishing my plate I tried a few of the breads and humus which were very good. Dessert at Boma was one of the best all week, great selection and they were all good. If I took the meat out of the equation the food quality deserved an A.

This was our third trip to Boma but the first in several years. Because of the lack of service and the poor tasting meat this is a restaurant we will be skipping in the future.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Too bad about the lousy service

btharvey
10-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Personally, I'd give service about 75% of the weight, so they'd maybe get a d+ or c- from me if I had that. Also, their service manager would have gotten a nod, we would have stood up together and walked out after the 2nd 5 minute wait for drinks over 1/2 hour later. Vote with your feet ... service is the whole idea, not pleasing stuff to look at.

tinkerbell04
10-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad service!

thrillme
10-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Oh swell. Boma's has gotten so many reviews I decided to try it for the first time this next upcomming trip.

Now I'm not sure if I should.

Although based on many reviews I've seen many of the resturants it looks like service has gone downhill lately. Two years ago I know I experienced something similar at Crystal Palace. I like the place but I never got anything to drink unless I got annoyed and got it myself.

Crow
10-02-2008, 10:27 PM
been a few trips ago...it was ok but not worth a special trip for me. the Lodge is great for theming though.
Id probably go for Jiko before Boma again

BigRedDad
10-03-2008, 05:13 AM
My DW and I had an extremely different experience. It has been 7 years, so it might have changed. I would not accept having to wait for 5 minutes just as we are seated for a drink order. I would have gone to the Hostess stand and made a statement. I would have also asked for a different server. Since this is a buffet meal, the server's only responsibility is keeping drinks full and clearing used plates. In my opinion, a server's tips is mostly dependent on not having to wait for a drink. Good servers recognize when drinks are getting low and asks for another before being empty. I would have refused to cover the 18% tip required as well. I would have explained it to the manager to have it remedied.

thrillme
10-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Since this is a buffet meal, the server's only responsibility is keeping drinks full and clearing used plates. In my opinion, a server's tips is mostly dependent on not having to wait for a drink.

That is the thing I "DEMAND" when at a buffet. I will still be trying "Crystal Palace" this trip but last time as I complained earlier...no drinks, I even put my plates on the tray of a passing busser...I didn't leave a tip that time. I won't this time either.

brewcrew26
10-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you had bad service and that you were disappointed by some of the food choices.

We loved the prime rib flavoring. It is a little bit strong if you're not expecting it. Very smoky.

Thrillme, I don't think you made a bad decision on going there. It could have been a bad night. You should go in with an open mind, and who knows what will happen.

thrillme
10-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Thrillme, I don't think you made a bad decision on going there. It could have been a bad night. You should go in with an open mind, and who knows what will happen.

Oh I definately will. I know of a NUMBER of resturants that friends won't set foot in but I love. We're still going an part of the thrill for me is just getting a look at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I really can't afford to stay there but I can dream can't I. :D