PDA

View Full Version : carousel of progress - ??? :(

rkmemkc
09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
I am leaving for WDW on Thursday morning at 8:30 am ... WOO HOO!!!! Anyway, as I am laminating my maps and index cards (most people think I'm crazy - but not my fellow Intercotees!!) I took notice that the brochure they sent me in my welcome kit has maps and each number corresponds to an attraction. We as we all know Wonders of Life has not been named on maps as a rule but The carousel of progress was pictured but did not contain a number nor a description! I looked and looked around Intercot as well as searching the web and cannot find anything that indicates it closing. HELP!!! Is it still open? I don't know what I would do if that thing was closed when I get there. Thank you very much!!!!
:mickey:

ryca1dreams
09-30-2008, 09:49 PM
I was there about 2 weeks ago and it was working fine. It's still on the official site and on the park maps we picked up.

garthbarth1
09-30-2008, 10:34 PM
I just got back from our trip on Sunday and it was up and running....it was nice to see a bunch of people in it also!:mickey:

WDWdriver
09-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Still there, and still popular! Also a great place to get off of your feet for awhile. :D

bertasso59
09-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Was running the week before last for us.Its been so long since Ive seen COP ,I couldnt remember if humorist Jean Shepard has always been the narrator.
At one point he even mentions the name Scwartz as in his "A Christmas Story'.

starrmomof2
10-02-2008, 05:40 PM
It was working last week and was on the official park maps. It was my children's first time riding it and they loved it; when we were at MK our last night and riding everyone's faves 'one last time', it was included and suggested by one of sons.

Jasper
10-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I can assure you that there would be a thread with at least 50,000 posts to it here on Intercot if it had indeed closed!!:D:D

In all seriousness though I am very confident that closing of this classic would have been a hot topic on not only this board but any other Disney related boards. As I always say when the subject comes up, we can never guarantee that Disney won't close CoP at any time but we can't make it easy for them to do so. And the best way to make it hard for them to close it? Get behinds in the seats!!

Every time you are in the Magic Kingdom make sure you visit and drag along every person you possibly can to join you. Then if at all possible make sure you go back multiple times on each visit. Whenever Disney sees declining attendance at an older attraction like CoP it becomes so easy for them to decide to close it. Why do you think there is no talk of closing Its a Small World? Attendance!

DizneyRox
10-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I may be wrong, but I still think it's considered seasonal, even though it's been open for years straight now.

In that status, it could close at any point, so it doesn't surprise me that thy don't include it on planning materials, etc.

I wouldn't sweat it, but if attendnece drops off significantly, they won't need it open for capacity so it wouldn't surprise me if they shutter it (even if it's temporary). The staff to operate that eat away at their profits, so if they don't need it open to sell tickets, they might just keep the profits higher and not operate it.

magicofdisney
10-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Honestly, the last few months we've been going the theater seems more packed than usual. Hopefully, threads like this are doing the job of getting "behinds in the seats!!" as Jasper like to say. :mickey:

Iluvpooh
10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
My husband LOVES this attraction and I could miss it if I had too, but he refuses not to do it twice once the first day and once the last. He says if people don't go then Disney will shut it down. So I don't know how much difference the 2 of us make, but we try.

That is also the reason we ride the TTA/Wedway over and over.

kakn7294
10-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Every time you are in the Magic Kingdom make sure you visit and drag along every person you possibly can to join you. Then if at all possible make sure you go back multiple times on each visit.We went multiple times in August and even managed to drag CaptainJessicaSparrow with us - hey Jess, "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow"! I hope that sticks in your head a while!

mickeys_princess_mom
10-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I can assure you that there would be a thread with at least 50,000 posts to it here on Intercot if it had indeed closed!!:D:D

In all seriousness though I am very confident that closing of this classic would have been a hot topic on not only this board but any other Disney related boards. As I always say when the subject comes up, we can never guarantee that Disney won't close CoP at any time but we can't make it easy for them to do so. And the best way to make it hard for them to close it? Get behinds in the seats!!
Count us in!

Cinderelley
10-02-2008, 09:48 PM
"It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow"

Shining at the end of every day

joonyer
10-02-2008, 11:48 PM
CoP is one of our favorites, we do it several times every visit. It needs a refurb and freshening up badly though. It's getting very tired. Disney should give it a big dose of TLC.

TinyDancer
10-03-2008, 08:24 AM
If you look, I think you'll find that Snow White isn't on there either!!! At least, the brochures I've gotten from the planning DVDs don't have it on there. Crazy!!!

Cinderelley
10-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Well, if they're looking for behinds in the seats -

Last trip with my family, my younger kids wanted to go on Astro Orbiters even though there was a very long line. My oldest DS didn't want to wait in line, so he went off on his own. What wound up happening was he fell asleep in CoP for 45 minutes. So, he was racking up those statistics for you guys. We still sing the song to tease him. :D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-03-2008, 10:50 PM
We just got back Sunday and we rode it while we were there. It did get stuck a couple of times but that was from people getting up and opening the door!

crazypoohbear
10-04-2008, 10:48 AM
We just got back Sunday and we rode it while we were there. It did get stuck a couple of times but that was from people getting up and opening the door!

YeaH, stupid people, had that song stuck in my head for the longest time!!!!!

trackbarroness
10-04-2008, 08:30 PM
So what did CaptainJessicaSparrow think of COP? :D
Even though I now have worked COP I still love COP. Even if I have to spiel to the guests when they first enter the show building. :D :thumbsup:

MickeysEars
10-04-2008, 09:50 PM
at DL, as a child, I never saw COP. By that time it had tured into America Sings, and now it is DL's version of Innoventions. My Father is meeting us at DW in March and one of the things he is most excited about is seeing the COP because he remembers it frome HIS childhood at DL. I am excited for him.

Renfairwedding
10-04-2008, 11:04 PM
My wife LOVES COP and it always our first ride of the day.

:number1:

kakn7294
10-05-2008, 08:16 AM
So what did CaptainJessicaSparrow think of COP? :D
Even though I now have worked COP I still love COP. Even if I have to spiel to the guests when they first enter the show building. :D :thumbsup:Well, Jess isn't too fond of it - and we dragged her there in August. :thedolls:

dolphinmickey9170
10-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Well, Jess isn't too fond of it - and we dragged her there in August. :thedolls:

I tried to take her again, but NOOOOOO, she just wouldn't have it. Once was enough for her.......There's a great big beautiful tomorrow.....I have this as a ring tone, I should make it Capt. Jessica's!!:thedolls:

rkmemkc
10-12-2008, 11:34 PM
:mickey:Ok, I started this thread and now I am back from my trip. We had a blast!!! Anyway, the COP was running just fine and was on the park map...BUT it was not listed on the map I picked up in the lobby of Pop Century. Hmmm. Well at least I saw it on this trip! I just hope that it will stay there forever. They need to keep the originals to preserve the Magic of how it all began. When they 'beefed' up the Tiki Room I was not happy about it, but it is still Disney, so I make it a staple as well. Trip reports are coming. I have 4 of 10 done. Thanks everyone!!
:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
10-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Carousel of Progress is still spinning in Tomorrowland. One of my absolute favorites!!! :clappy:

DizNee143
10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
i went on it last monday...and although it was running..it was the worse COP expericence i have ever had!
we didnt spin to go to the first part..started spinning about halfway through..so we missed the first half..then in the 3rd scene people got on the lound speaker..and then halfway through that scene we moved on to the furture scene..got to see that one 1 1/2 times...i was sooooooooo mad..what a horrible expericence we had! :mad: