PDA

View Full Version : Selling Add-on Points due to BLT

diz_girl
09-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi there! I'm not a DVC member, but I hope to be within the next couple of years. I'm always checking out what's for sale on the Timeshare Store Website. Normally there are few smaller (under 100) point values available, which I would think are add-on points. However, all of a sudden in the past week or two there is a whole bunch of add-on points available for sale at pretty much every DVC resort.

Is it my imagination, or are a lot of people buying add-on points at BLT and then ditching their current add-on points at their home (or other) resort? I don't have a problem with it as I'd probably do the same thing, I'm just seeking an explanation for it.

Checkers
09-30-2008, 03:32 PM
That might have something to do with it but it could also be the sharp downturn in the economy.:(

DizneyRox
09-30-2008, 04:47 PM
I don't quite get it either... I don't see much advantage to add-ons in general. Unless you get a contract size allotment, all they open up is the 11 month window for a limited amount of vacation days. I would much rather have all my points in one place, at least I can get my vacation settled and planned. Waitlist for where I may want to move to if I can't get in at 7 months.

Could be some impulse buys and now they are regretting it.

thumperbug
09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
just checked out the resale website...you were kidding about the inventory. I sooo wish I were in a financial position to add on to what I have...there are some awesome deals out there.

DizneyRox
09-30-2008, 08:29 PM
I gotta laugh at the amount of SSR contracts. NO wonder there's so much availability there. I can't believe they are sold out (minus the tree houses).

diz_girl
10-01-2008, 09:44 AM
I didn't mean to say that there was an avalanche of add-on points for sale, just that there were considerably more than normal. Normally, you could count the number of add-on listings (for all resorts added together) on one hand, now there are a few listings at every resort, with AKV and SSR having more than the rest.

It's just that these listings popped up within the past week or two, which coincided with the BLT announcement. I check the Website evey few days and there was definitely an uptick in add-on point listings.

I agree that the economy might part of the problem for resales, but I think that it affects SSR more than than any other resort, since this property was being developed and sold at the height of the sub-prime lending boom. Although I think that the economy is contributing to SSR resales, I also think that it's possible that people bought into SSR thinking that they can stay at BCV or VWL whenever they want and now can't get in. Maybe they're trying to sell their SSR membership and then buy where they want to stay.

Now don't get me wrong, SSR is a beautiful, relaxing resort. I just think that many people who bought into it thought that they could really stay anywhere they wanted whenever they wanted, but now that there are so many DVC members you really need to buy where you want to stay.

DizneyRox
10-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Now don't get me wrong, SSR is a beautiful, relaxing resort. I just think that many people who bought into it thought that they could really stay anywhere they wanted whenever they wanted, but now that there are so many DVC members you really need to buy where you want to stay.
Yes, DVC guides really don't do a good job making sure people understand this. While the pressure to buy is very low, offering this information wouldn't help them sell. When we bought our Boardwalk contract, our guide did say something about this, but i really was way in the beginning, and it has really gotten bad as far as getting anywhere "good" at the 7 month window.

I need to use some points at SSR and can't make a reservation until 7 months out. I'm not in the least bit worried, SSR is always available no matter what. Even big vacation weeks seems to be open there.

SSR would probably be my least liked DVC resort. I don 't care for the design, the transportation, the food options, the location, etc. The only thing going for it my last stay was the fresh paint smell, since it was so new.

It will be interesting what ends up happening with SSR. I was under the impression there was going to be a phase three, but my guide told me no last time we talked. The treehouses are not considered phase three. And like I''ve said, SSR was apparently sold out a month or two back. That bit of news really surprised me. I think it's the largest, and having the largest amount of resale opportunities makes sense, but some of those prices are just a steal! I can't imagine Disney won't pull out ROFR on many of those...