PDA

View Full Version : With or against flow of traffic

brianlw71
09-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi, after many trips to WDW my wife and I will be headed to Disneyland in Dec. We live in Phoenix and figured we have to make the trip before moving to China. We will be staying at a Marriott timeshare at Newport beach. Leaving early enough to get to DL at opening, will we be going with the flow of people trying to get to work or will we be lucky by going in opposite direction? How long will it realistically take...google earth says 22 miles and 25 minutes. By the way we will be doing this during the week not weekend. thanks. p.s. any other tips for our stay and play will be appreciated.:mickey:

BrerGnat
09-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey there, I live in Irvine (very close to Newport Beach) and I drive from Irvine up to Orange a couple times a week in the mornings to take my son to some therapy there. Where I take him is literally like 3 miles south of DL off the I-5 freeway. He has to be there at 8:15a.m. and we leave our house at about 8:00 and we make it on time. For you, though, the trip will take a bit longer.

First of all, you will be going AGAINST the main flow of traffic, so that is good. However, there are some slow spots, especially if you go the wrong way.

If you go THIS way, you will be there in no time, but if you deviate from this plan, your trip could take twice as long. Trust these directions, I'm local and I know these roads VERY well:

From the Marriott:

-Take the PCH to JAMBOREE ROAD, turn RIGHT onto Jamboree

-Remain on Jamboree until you get to the I-5 North Connector, take I-5 North

-From I-5 North, exit HARBOR BLVD, turn RIGHT.

-Turn LEFT at the first light, at BALL ROAD

-Turn LEFT at the second light, at DISNEYLAND Drive...you will see overhead signs directing you to "Theme Parks Only" and "Downtown Disney/Hotels/Convention Center". Get in the far left lane for Theme Parks Only. This lane will drop you right into the large Mickey and Friends Parking Structure.

On your way back at the end of the day, reverse these directions. Whatever you do, AVOID the 55 freeway like the plague! This freeway is notoriously slow and backed up during rush hour. It is a small 2-3 lane freeway, and there are FREQUENT accidents, due to the way the on/off ramps merge suddenly. If you attempt to use this freeway either in the morning or the afternoon, your 20 minute commute could turn into a 60 minute one. In contrast, using Jamboree, which is a major artery connecting the I-5 freeway to Newport beach (and conveniently connecting to the PCH less than 1/2 mile from the Marriott Villas), is a much better bet.

brianlw71
10-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks Natalie, I have the directions saved to laptop.

AZ Disney
10-20-2008, 02:13 PM
We're staying at the Marriott too coming in from PHX. Thanks so much for the directions.
We'll be there from 12/27-1/3 - Any idea what two days would be the least crowded considering that we are going during the busiest time of year?

BrerGnat
10-20-2008, 03:33 PM
We're staying at the Marriott too coming in from PHX. Thanks so much for the directions.
We'll be there from 12/27-1/3 - Any idea what two days would be the least crowded considering that we are going during the busiest time of year?

None. They'll all be equally insanely crowded. Sorry. But, if pressed to choose, I'd go the 29th and 30th.

Aisling
10-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Really? You think those two days and not January 2nd and 3rd? We've been on the 30th and will never go then again. I lost my ever lovin' mind! And also my son, but that's another story. We found him, it's all good.:blush:

That week is super crowded, just plan for a lot of patience!

AZ Disney
10-24-2008, 12:27 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the 29/30 just because it's still holiday vacation time for most, but then Jan 2/3 is a Fri/Sat. I really can't do the 3rd as we have to drive back to PHX that day and I don't want to be driving by myself all night with the kids. We are the family that goes from opening until very late.

What is New Year's Day like?

Marla
10-24-2008, 01:26 PM
I have been in DLR on New Years day, and it was basiclly EMPTY! Everyone was at the Rose parade. The 31st was a mad house. We waited in line for breakfast and by the time we got into the restaurant they had changed to the lunch menu. LOL. :tink:

AZ Disney
10-24-2008, 02:05 PM
I kinda thought New Year's Day may be a good day b/c of the Rose Parade and just because the night before is such a late night for some :party:

I think Jan 1/2 will be the days we go.