PDA

View Full Version : American Embarrasment

rafiki fan
09-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Are any other Americans embarrassed that the best food choices we can put forth for our Epcot pavilion is counter service consisting of basically fast food? We have such a wide range of good dishes that are truly American. A restaurant that offers regional favorites would be a welcome treat. Another table service at Epcot is needed and what better way to show our national pride than with a sit-down restaurant serving such dishes as East coast seafood dishes, Midwest beef, Southern pork and West coast fruits and vegetables? Any comments? :chef::chef:

Natazu
09-29-2008, 08:29 PM
They have a fruit cup... but I think it's fried.

bertasso59
09-29-2008, 09:14 PM
I have thought the same thing for a long time. As the host nation,we should be putting our best foot foreward for the rest of the visiting countries.We need to showcase Southern cooking,Cajun,Northeast seafood,Calif.cuisine,etc.

ILoveLegos
09-29-2008, 10:49 PM
I guess you have never been to EPCOT with non-adventurous eaters. When I went there with several groups of them they literally insisted on hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken nuggets and french fries. EPCOT aims to have a little bit of everything to please every discerning & undiscerning palate. I've never seen the American eatery empty - somebody must like it. :mickey:

ElenitaB
09-29-2008, 11:14 PM
They have a fruit cup... but I think it's fried.
No, it's Dole fruit cocktail. ;)

If people want standard burgers/fries, they could go to the Electric Umbrella. I'd love to see Liberty Inn serve a menu representative of our country's different cuisines.

mrsgaribaldi
09-30-2008, 05:06 AM
No, it's Dole fruit cocktail. ;)

If people want standard burgers/fries, they could go to the Electric Umbrella. I'd love to see Liberty Inn serve a menu representative of our country's different cuisines.

Same here. I would love to try foods from other areas since I only go to Disney World:blush:

bicker
09-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Are any other Americans embarrassed that the best food choices we can put forth for our Epcot pavilion is counter service consisting of basically fast food? Not at all. That eatery serves a very important role in the World Showcase, serving specific needs that would otherwise remain unsatisfied -- a condition that would not be a good reflection on a host. The reality is that there is wonderful American cuisine at WDW, in such numbers that to have yet-another American restaurant, to the exclusion of the counter service option that is currently available, would be in appropriate.

big blue and hairy
09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Not at all. That eatery serves a very important role in the World Showcase, serving specific needs that would otherwise remain unsatisfied -- a condition that would not be a good reflection on a host. The reality is that there is wonderful American cuisine at WDW, in such numbers that to have yet-another American restaurant, to the exclusion of the counter service option that is currently available, would be in appropriate.

I agree, except for one thing. All the other pavillions have a CS and a sitdown. I've got it, we invade Canada and take over Le Cellier!

:sulley:

c&d
09-30-2008, 09:41 AM
I would love a sit down meal with a choice of food from each region of our country.

tinksmom02
09-30-2008, 11:34 AM
I guess you have never been to EPCOT with non-adventurous eaters. When I went there with several groups of them they literally insisted on hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken nuggets and french fries. EPCOT aims to have a little bit of everything to please every discerning & undiscerning palate. I've never seen the American eatery empty - somebody must like it. :mickey:

You must have traveled with the family we were with two weeks ago LOL The dad's best meal was a cheeseburger anywhere. Matter of fact, they're considering returning to WDW next year, and i'm trying to steer them towards the QS dining plan.

ThanxForNoticin
09-30-2008, 12:19 PM
I agree, except for one thing. All the other pavillions have a CS and a sitdown. I've got it, we invade Canada and take over Le Cellier!

Keep in mind, when EPCOT first opened, the American Pavilion was really the only one that had a counter service for food is the WS. There was no stand in Mexico or England, etc. That being said, I really do agree that perhaps a nice sit-down American restaurant might be a good addition in the WS. I'd keep the current burgers and fries place, but add a nice dining experience.

LauraF
09-30-2008, 12:20 PM
My BF after having all sorts of fancy food on the trip INSISTED on eating at the American pavillion for lunch one day so he could have some 'normal stuff, like hamburgers or chicken nuggets." I just brought my lunch over from another pavillion and ate it with him. :mickey:

Everybody has different needs while on vacation. Thankfully there is enough for everybody to choose something they like.

LandFan
09-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I agreee. There are plenty of burgers and fries places - show some pride here :D Keep the QS, but put in a TS too!

Minnie Imagineer
09-30-2008, 01:10 PM
agreed.
....but there is Ohana....

pox24
09-30-2008, 01:31 PM
What an awesome idea. I agree 100%. Kind of degrading when the host country food area is a burger and hot dog joint. Sorry, chicken too. Maybe we just don't want to anger the other countries... sound familiar. A sit down serving food offerings from all around our great nation. What a concept. I think we should call it," From Sea To Shining Sea." If the France doesn't like it , " Let them eat cake."

Cookie123
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't like the food that is currently in the American Pavillion. What the original poster said about a good sit down American meal sounds good.

I also love the idea of a real Wendy's fast food, and a real KFC in that building at the same time. You know - one side Wendy's - one side KFC.

EmISeeKayEeWhy
09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah but, what exactly is American food? All our food comes from other countries ;)

Rhetoric2000
09-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Maybe we just don't want to anger the other countries... sound familiar. A sit down serving food offerings from all around our great nation. What a concept. I think we should call it," From Sea To Shining Sea." If the France doesn't like it , " Let them eat cake."

I think we have a new record for the "most spurious thing an American has ever managed to attempt to blame the French for".

For myself, I long thought it was pretty awful that the counter service at Liberty Inn was the only US representative in WS - heck it doesn't look too good for foreign visitors to have potential prejudices apparently confirmed.

BUT as has been said here, the US pavillion in many ways shows itself to have good manners by giving itself a very needed function of supplying the undoubted (if arguably sad) demand for people with unfortunately restricted eating habits. Should there be a table services also? Perhaps, but there are loads of restaurants at WDW celebrating the best of US cuisine - from Artist Point to California Grill, from Victoria and Albert to Whispering Canyon Cafe.

The American Adventure as a pavillion works superbly. The least complex, but with the headline attraction. That seems incredibly appropriate for a host to me. I don't see any need to change things.

Rhetoric2000
09-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah but, what exactly is American food? All our food comes from other countries ;)

As an outsider may I answer this?

While at times it does seem odd to have fare such as burgers, hot dogs, fries and apple pie - none of which of course are actually American in origin - desribed as American food; there is no doubting that the US has some of the most diverse and distinct styles of food around.

The Pacific NorthWest cuisine of Artist Point, for instance, could only possibly be considered American, as could the combinations in the Flying Fish Cafe. There is a texture of most of the fruit and vegetables in the US (and in Florida especially) that is common to only North America and that means that the salads found throughout the resort, even those, say, at Boma are definitely American. Any approach to barbecue that goes beyond basting meat a bit and shoving it over coals is American. Don't doubt the defined identity of American food at all - it just isn't burgers and fries as is commonly thought.

If you still don't believe there is distinct American style to food - come to Europe and ask a chef in any country to make you surf and turf. Then you'll see a reaction, In fact if Pox24s plan to have a restaurant in the US area for the sole purpose of annoying the French goes ahead, may I suggest an entire menu of surf and turf dishes?

EmISeeKayEeWhy
09-30-2008, 02:45 PM
hehe ok I'll give ya BBQ

pox24
09-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Apparently some humor goes un noticed across the pond. My comments were meant in jest and its a shame it was missed. My tongue is still in my cheek. :D

Goes4FastPass
09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
I also love the idea of a real Wendy's fast food, and a real KFC in that building at the same time. You know - one side Wendy's - one side KFC.
I disagree. Entirely.

As far as American food at Epcot goes, it seems some posters consider tacos and egg rolls to be wildly adventurous and then there are those pretzels in Germany.

I think there are many opportunities for American food at WDW. Whispering Canyon and Hoop de Doo Review quickly come to mind along with most places at the MK. Every day is Thanksgiving at LTT.

EPCOT? Garden Grill at EPCOT is American food at a TS restaurant (so is Coral Reef).

As far as people who can't spend a day at Epcot without American fast food as some replies indicated, there's a McDonalds on the opposite side of the lake from the American Adventure. Chicken Nuggets in all your favorite familiar shapes. 6 piece AND 9 piece.

r4kids
10-02-2008, 08:39 AM

LOL Great Idea!!!

rafiki fan
10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I thank everyone for their input. I had no idea it would stir up such conversation. Having read the posts I do see more of an idea of what is needed. Leave the CS as it is and add a sit down. As far as there being plenty of truly American food at WDW I somewhat agree but we are talking World Showcase where coutnries are showing the world their best.

How about a sit down restaurant where regional dishes are served like Maryland Crab cakes, Virginia Ham, St Louis Ribs, Creole from south and the list can go on. It will probably be harder to narrow down the menu than to come up with enough ideas. The drink menu could have wines from the wine states and mint juleps from Kentucky. Just a thought. Thanks again for all of your input. :mickey:

thrillme
10-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I sorta felt embarrassed too. Not so much they were offering hot dogs and hamburgers but they were just another "quick service" style.

There are a lot of wonderful "American" dishes but I guess Hamburgers and Hot Dogs are too America as Speghetti is to Italy.

Alas...there are BETTER hamburgers. Beach Club has a pretty good burger. What about turning it our American Section into a table service like the other resturants there with a GOOD quality Angus beef burger and a "gormet" styled Hot Dog with a high quality dog as opposed to the dog you get at quick service.

Demyx
10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
The idea for a sit-down restaurant featuring regional American foods is excellent! It also makes me sad that so many people apparently insist on boring old fast food at Epcot. The Electric Umbrella already does that anyway.

The gift shop in America suffers from the same syndrome. Every other country gets a gorgeous gift shop filled with cultural items. America gets a tiny knothole filled only with tacky T shirts and plastic with the American flag plastered over it.

Polynesian Dweller
10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
The idea for a sit-down restaurant featuring regional American foods is excellent!
Maybe I'll take the chance of wadeing into this one even though I'm a non-American. The American Pavillion makes a great host pavillion in my estimation. The styling and the American Adventure make a good showcase to the world.

But a TS restaurant is not needed to showcase American food. That is all over WDW. You can find American cuisine from almost every corner over your country if one tries. In some ways, to add another in World Showcase would distract from the uniqueness of worldwide cuisine. For most of the other countries this is the primary and perhaps only spot to sample their cusine (even if its not totally authentic in some cases) in WDW. To me the point of Epcot restaurants is to try something that you can't get at California Grill, Cap May, Spoodles, Narcoosee's etc. etc.

So I'd say, don't be embarassed by a pavillion that represents your country well and plays a good and gracious host by letting the others show themselves off a bit.

Demyx
10-02-2008, 01:38 PM
But a TS restaurant is not needed to showcase American food. That is all over WDW. You can find American cuisine from almost every corner over your country if one tries.

I suppose this is true, but America is a pretty big country. I'm sure there's some stuff they could cover that isn't already covered ;)

For most of the other countries this is the primary and perhaps only spot to sample their cusine (even if its not totally authentic in some cases) in WDW.

So I'd say, don't be embarassed by a pavillion that represents your country well and plays a good and gracious host by letting the others show themselves off a bit.

This is a good point. However, the fact that there is only a fast-food restaurant at America gives the impression that fast food is the only sort of food America is known for, which is unfortunate. Even in this thread, there are people saying that America doesn't have any good regional food and that we took all our cuisine from other cultures, which I think is just not true. Maybe if the CS had something a little more unique, it would be better.

joonyer
10-02-2008, 01:41 PM
How about southern cooking? I vote for collard greens and cornbread, fried chicken & catfish, grits, ham-hock & field peas w/okra, sweet potato & pecan pies, and with real brewed sweet iced tea to wash it all down with. Probably wouldn't sell as well as hamburgers & fries, but I'd eat there every trip.

I don't think you can get this food anywhere at WDW right now.

teambricker04
10-02-2008, 03:48 PM
When ever my family goes to EPCOT, by the time we are to the American pavilion we are STARVING. Also, by the time I get there I have had about 3000 burgers and fries. For some reason that is all I ever come across at WDW. This last time I knew I did not want to eat burgers all the time, but also didn't want to do tons of TS ADRs. So I made a spreadsheet and my DH kept it on his fancy phone of what and where food locations were located. When all we could find was a burger, we pulled it up and realized there are TONS of other CS with all sorts of different kinds of food. I was much more happy.

Although I am not embarrassed by the selections, I do think there could be some more creative regional fare. West Coast thinks like fish tacos, Midwestern "hot dish"/casseroles, southern soul food, BBQ.... all would be okay in my book, but I am also fine with it the way it is.

Goes4FastPass
10-02-2008, 04:45 PM
...and plays a good and gracious host by letting the others show themselves off a bit.

I don't think we United Statesers realize how much nostalgia flag waving America is wonderful foreign guests get when they vacation at Walt Disney World.

The idea of America's super mega resort - Walt Disney World - saying welcome to the world makes a lot of sense.

So I can't see how Epcot needs another American food TS restaurant.

Besides,

Epcot is plenty American even when it doesn't seem like it's trying to be. Have you seen the menu at the recently reopened Nine Dragons? Sweet and Sour Pork and Kung Pao Chicken! Ha! Two dishes I enjoy but you'd have a hard time finding them in Beijing.

bouncer
10-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Don't forget to add Chicago style pizza to the menu at the new restaurant. WDW pizza =:sick:

Crow
10-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Ive never eaten here.
even:beer:.
i think there should b a TS

Stickey
10-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Embarrassed? No. However, the lack of a TS restaurant at the American pavilion is disappointing.

There are many great menu options available. Steaks(this could make an ADR at LeCellier a bit easier), BBQ, Southern fried chicken, Maine lobster, NY style pizza, Chicago deep dish pizza, etc.

cer
10-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Very interesting thread.

I don't have a strong opinion on this issue. I have not really considered it...BUT what if they had a QS location in the American Pavilion that offered nothing but "State Fair Cuisine"?!?! Step up folks, get your fried oreos and fried cheesecake on a stick? (Just kidding of course, but can you imagine?)

I can get a stomach-ache just thinking about it...:ill:

luvdiznee
10-03-2008, 04:54 PM
How 'bout some Turducken? :D

bicker
10-04-2008, 10:29 AM
So basically we'd end up with a restaurant that must provide such a variety of different cuisines that it will accomplish none of them well.

PirateLover
10-04-2008, 11:15 AM
As an outsider may I answer this?

While at times it does seem odd to have fare such as burgers, hot dogs, fries and apple pie - none of which of course are actually American in origin - desribed as American food;

But see, those ARE american foods, or at least americanized foods, depending on how you want to look at it.

The idea of the hot dog as it is today- a sausage type meat on a bun- can be traced back to German-Americans in the late 1800s, trying to make a buck at Coney Island, World Fairs, baseball games.

Same thing with hamburgers. They are derived from the original hamburg steak but the idea to slap a patty between two buns and through on garnish and condiments is American. There is no one person who this is attributed to but it happened in America, around the same time as the hot dog.

Applie pie I cannot argue about, it certainly wasn't invented here, but dare I say perfected ;)

This is not blind patriotism, it's truth. In the 1800s-1900s America was the lucky recipient of a great influx of immigrants who brought with them culinary traditions that were turned into something new and "American."

At any rate, I think that Liberty Inn could use a few more options (what about a cheesesteak :D ) but the truth of the matter is, there are some very picky eaters out there and to have the attitude of "they can get that stuff anywhere" or "just go to the other side of the park" isn't very fair.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-04-2008, 11:56 AM
All the talk of hamburgers and hot dogs reminds me of an Eddie Izzard quote (taken from JFK on a visit to Berlin):

"Ich bin ein Berliner --- I am a Frankfurter, a Hamburger, and a donut!"

If you don't get it...PM me. I'll explain. I don't even know if his translation is accurate...lol

Natazu
10-04-2008, 03:36 PM
All the talk of hamburgers and hot dogs reminds me of an Eddie Izzard quote (taken from JFK on a visit to Berlin):

"Ich bin ein Berliner --- I am a Frankfurter, a Hamburger, and a donut!"

If you don't get it...PM me. I'll explain. I don't even know if his translation is accurate...lol
specifically, a jelly donut ;)

EmISeeKayEeWhy
10-05-2008, 09:13 AM
It's awesome! like a billion hot dogs!

lockedoutlogic
10-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Ask yourself two questions:

What type of restaurant makes more profit? sit downs or quickies?

How adventurous are most americans at mealtime?

Quickserves make far more profit....and most of this country's citizens are burger and fry only types (i know we all eat other things....but nothing "ethnic" other than ****** chinese (Nine Dragons) and italian)....so the ****** quickserve in the american pavilion makes monetary sense for Disney

it is embarassing though...nonetheless

SBETigg
10-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I've never eaten at the American Pavilion and I probably never will. Still, I don't see it as an embarrassment at all. Considering that most of WDW is serving American food, I've always appreciated that we were gracious and willing to step back from really showcasing our culinary skills in World Showcase in favor of letting the cuisines of other countries shine brighter.

I think the burgers and fries are there as more of an offering to people who aren't adventurous enough to step out of safe ground and try something new. Basically, if you're opting for the same ol' "American" burgers and things at World Showcase, you're probably not taking full advantage of all they have to offer there-- and you may not be much of a WS fan. Or you're not American, in which case you have plenty of dining choices all over WDW to sample some uniquely American cuisine.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-05-2008, 11:33 AM
specifically, a jelly donut ;)

Yay! Someone got it.

jillluvsdisney
10-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Alas...there are BETTER hamburgers. Beach Club has a pretty good burger. What about turning it our American Section into a table service like the other resturants there with a GOOD quality Angus beef burger and a "gormet" styled Hot Dog with a high quality dog as opposed to the dog you get at quick service.

That will just give Disney the excuse to charge 15 dollars for a hamburger and fries.

big blue and hairy
10-05-2008, 02:03 PM
How adventurous are most americans at mealtime?

Considering the difficulty in getting ADR's at all of the other TS restaurants, I think that theory lacks something, or are you saying the vast majority in those restaurants aren't Americans?

AdventurerKim
10-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I do wish the American Adventure had a sit-down restaurtant with different types of food from around the country, or even counter service with different types of food (clam chowder, gumbo, etc...) from different parts of the country rather than just burgers and hotdogs, which is not the typical food in my part of the country.

EmISeeKayEeWhy
10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Yay! Someone got it.

I guess you didn't see the part about awesome hotdogs and space. lol

2Epcot
10-06-2008, 10:22 AM
The American Adventure is not usually new food for a lot of people, I know because I've been to Epcot with them. I don't see anything wrong with what is there, but an additional restaturant would be OK. I think for those looking for something other then burgers and fries, there are plenty of places in World Showcase to choose from. I've done the ... we'll go here, you go there, and will meet over there to eat.

TheRustyScupper
10-06-2008, 10:37 AM
That will just give Disney the excuse to charge 15 dollars for a hamburger and fries.

1) Please !
2) They are only $14.95.

javaqueen11
10-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Any time we're in Epcot (me, DH, DS13, and DS4, we eat our meals at either American Adventure or Electric Umbrella. We are among those who are not adventurous eaters. We're so thankful that it's there, I don't know where we'd eat without it. I never thought of it before as being a poor reflection on America, I always thought of it as an oasis of comforting and familiar food in a sea of strange and scary cuisine.:twocents:

Faver
10-09-2008, 10:06 AM
I agree whole heartedly! I believe America can offer a bit more than popcorn and turkey legs, and hamburgers:thumbsup:

But those turkey legs sure are good!!!!:mickey:

javaqueen11
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
HA! He's a donut. I just re-read the thread. Well remembered...

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-09-2008, 10:55 AM
I guess you didn't see the part about awesome hotdogs and space. lol

I went back and reread... lol

"I'm a small man with a giant... what was the line again?" "THERE'S A MONSTER!"

lockedoutlogic
10-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Considering the difficulty in getting ADR's at all of the other TS restaurants, I think that theory lacks something, or are you saying the vast majority in those restaurants aren't Americans?

come on....you know better than that...

The amount of seats at table services are a tiny fraction of the people in the parks on a given day....

all it takes is moderate-heavy attendance to jam the sitdowns....

However.....the table service restaurants are just as guilty of american mainstreaming as the quickserves.....as all sitdowns have basically steak, salmon, chicken as the main entrees on pretty much every menu

Think about it....what's truly unique on any menu? not much.....even in chefs de france...akershus....not much in variation Biergarten might be the most "different"

The most "exotic" thing at a restaurant outside of V&A's on a menu at a disney sitdown is the Buffalo steak at Artist's Point....or the occasional special catch at coral reef or flying fish....

....not very impressive....

big blue and hairy
10-12-2008, 12:39 PM
come on....you know better than that...

The amount of seats at table services are a tiny fraction of the people in the parks on a given day....

all it takes is moderate-heavy attendance to jam the sitdowns....

You're logic is flawed. You can't assume because there are people who can't get ADR's. that they don't want them. You are assuming. You know what happens when you assume...

kathymk616
10-12-2008, 08:54 PM
As a non-burger-non-hot-dog-eating American, I do indeed wish for a restaurant serving different American food. I love the idea of showcasing delicious regional cuisine from all over.

Perhaps we could call it the "Dream Cafe".:D