PDA

View Full Version : Wine Tasting Festival at Epcot

cnoble1967
09-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Please let me know if the crowds are bad during the Wine Tasting Festival at Epcot. We chose to go in October because we were told the crowds weren't that bad but then I recently read where it is extremely croweded during this festival. Any information is greatly appreciated.

:mickey:

mrp4352
09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't think they're nearly as bad as the summer crowds. The week of Columbus Day is shaping up to be fairly full - but my guess (completely unscientific) is that the hotels must be fairly empty since they're offering so much free dining at the last minute.

You will see more locals on the weekend at Epcot because of the Festival, though.

KAT1811
10-04-2008, 03:25 PM
It isn't "extremely" busy but it does get busier when the festival starts. We were there one year the last week in September and the first week in October and we did notice a difference in crowd levels once the F&W festival began but nothing insane, just a little bit longer lines for the popular rides. I would not worry, you should be fine. Anyway it is much better than the crazy days of summer!!!

Polynesian Dweller
10-04-2008, 03:43 PM
As KAT1911 says, it is not extremely busy and in fact its a great time to be there. Friday afternoons and Saturdays tend to be busier than others but not unmanageable. So don't worry, it will be fine.

The Food part is really the highlight of the Food and WIne Festival IMHO. Lots of interesting things at the various booths. Wine selections are fewer though the Australian walk-through is a nice tasting opportunity.

KAT1811
10-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Wine selections are fewer though the Australian walk-through is a nice tasting opportunity.

I loved the Austalian walk. Fun. DH and I had a night alone in Epcot during F&W one year and ate and drank our way around the world. It was really fun to experience all the tastes. (DM & DDad took the children back to the resort for us)

Meerkat
10-04-2008, 04:56 PM
We were there on Thursday afternoon and had a delightful experience. The weather was nice (mid 80s) and attendance was light. Most food kiosk lines were non-existant. The longest we waited for anything was about five minutes.

PoohRules
10-04-2008, 05:47 PM
DH and I normally don't drink alcohol, no real reason, just normally don't partake. However, the name "Australian Walkthrough" sounded enticing. What is it? Is there a fee?

Only 13 more days before we go. :thumbsup:

BugeyedMuggy
10-04-2008, 05:59 PM
The crowds are mainly in EPCOT on the weekends. You can enjoy below average crowds throughout Disney World during the festival and still have managable crowds at EPCOT during the weekdays. Hope this answers your question.

Oh!, you can also enjoy some great music groups performing in EPCOT during the fest. Dont miss it. It's fun and free! How often do you hear those two words next to each other?!

Polynesian Dweller
10-04-2008, 06:21 PM
DH and I normally don't drink alcohol, no real reason, just normally don't partake. However, the name "Australian Walkthrough" sounded enticing. What is it? Is there a fee?

Only 13 more days before we go. :thumbsup:
The last two years it has had a selection of wines from across Australia. There are 3-4 stations (I think 4 but that's after some wine you know so not sure) and a CM at each station tells you about the wines from that Australian region and you then get to choose which wine you'd like to try from that region. Then you move on to the next station. It is not free, but then very little is. It was about $8-$10 per person.

PoohRules
10-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks so much PD. That sounds fun and reasonable. :thumbsup:

MickeysEars
10-04-2008, 09:54 PM
2007 was our first food and wine trip. We were not bothered unless we were in the World Showcase at night. All the locals and guests come dressed up like it was date night. we felt under dressed in our shorts and t-shirts. ;)

sharpstick
10-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Please let me know if the crowds are bad during the Wine Tasting Festival at Epcot. We chose to go in October because we were told the crowds weren't that bad but then I recently read where it is extremely croweded during this festival.
:mickey:
I went yesterday(2nd weekend of the festival). It seemd very crowded. We go at least twice every year(in addition to several other times during the year).
The worst part was that they have cut the wine tasting seminars in half. The attendance to the F & W has been going up because of its popularity(in spite of it being a slow season, the reason they invented it and the flower show). I talked to one of the people managing the seminar and was told that there is room for 100 in each but they have been turning away another hundred or more. We had to show up about an hour ahead of time to get in line.
They moved the culinary workshops into the main dome this year and there is no longer room for 2 wine seminars, I was told. In light of greater attendance, I would think they could find more room for the seminars.
Later in the day and evening, it was so crowded we could hardly walk. I've never seen it this crowded except on holidays.
We will no longer go on a weekend. Maybe the middle of the week.

JohnnyJayhawk
10-06-2008, 09:39 PM
We just got back and the difference between weekdays and weekends is amazing. Crowds almost non-existent Wednesday through Friday afternoon. Not so Friday night and all day Saturday. Food lines went from no wait or waiting for 1 or 2 people, to having more than 25 people in line at some countries. That said, it was an awesome time to go.

Daisy'sMom
10-19-2008, 02:32 PM
We went yesterday, (Saturday) and it was very crowded. I have to say that we also were very disappointed this year. We have never missed this Epcot event and I felt sad when we left yesterday. Maybe we are turning into fuddy duddies or something, but we were amazed at the number of people that had much to much to drink, they were extremely loud and very obnoxious. We did not stay out there for long, maybe two hours at the most. We went back to future world and stayed there. I never remember this being like this before and will not go on a weekend again. One of the cast members told us it is like this every weekend. I guess we will not go next year on the weekend.

anneb
10-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Just try to avoid weekends. We were there mid-to-late Friday afternoon in early October, and there were no lines (or very, very, short lines) at the food and wine booths. That Friday night was another story - much more crowded, and long lines. Two years ago, we went to the Festival on a weekday, as soon as it opened, and had World Showcase virtually to ourselves for several hours, but it was very crowded on the weekend.

FaithTrustPixieDust
10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
You will see more locals on the weekend at Epcot because of the Festival, though.

Yes- Friday and Saturday nights can get pretty crowded!!

malip
10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
We were there this past Saturday and the crowds were the worst I have ever encountered at Epcot. World showcase was packed shoulder to shoulder. I don't know if this was because it was the weekend or what, but definitely the most crowded I have ever experienced at Epcot.

WDWdriver
10-22-2008, 11:44 AM
We were there this past Saturday and the crowds were the worst I have ever encountered at Epcot. World showcase was packed shoulder to shoulder. I don't know if this was because it was the weekend or what, but definitely the most crowded I have ever experienced at Epcot.

I was there two days later on Monday. The crowds were light, and there were no more than two or three people in line at the food kiosks. Many had no line at all.

Polynesian Dweller
10-22-2008, 10:52 PM
We were there Sunday and today. Sunday was a bit busy but not shoulder to shoulder. Today was some of the lightest crowds we have seen in years.

Darbylew
10-22-2008, 11:07 PM
We just got back and I found that the crowds
were ok except at Epcot during the evening
hours and always on the weekends when the
wine and food festival is going on. I think a lot
of locals come out on the weekends for this
event. :mickey:

thrillme
10-23-2008, 05:20 PM
DO NOT GO ON A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHT.

We made this mistake. Normally we go in the summer and it's a lot more manageable then.