PDA

View Full Version : theme parks dvds???

thesplashmountaineer
09-29-2008, 03:02 PM
What do you know about the ''go to the park at home'' dvd series?
are they good?
are they ''must have'' dvds???

ILoveLegos
09-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I purchased (at WDW in the gift shops) the four theme park individual DVDs a couple of years ago. They have since re-packaged them into a five DVD gift set which includes the Disney Cruise Line DVD (I've never viewed that one). Each theme park has a story line that is not very memorable and I don't consider the videos half as good as a planning DVD. That said: These basically sit on my shelf until I need to get a little Disney into my day. The Animal Kingdom DVD has an explorer type guy in it, and the EPCOT one has Professor Sy N Tiffic in it (he's rather annoying). The Magic Kingdom one has Mickey and Minnie going through their day at Magic Kingdom in it. I can't remember what is in the Hollywood Studios one. It does not contain full ride video footage just various shots of people/character/scientist/explorer dude on a certain ride or cracking a corny joke. I think that the planning videos capture the magic of Disney much better than these and they are free! If you're a big fan, buy them but don't expect too much by way of entertainment.

CosmicRay
09-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I will have to look into those DVD's on our next trip. If they are affordable and not expensive! Also we love watching an Epcot video we bought off ebay. It was from the 80's and we enjoyed seeing how things have changed and just getting a kick out of the times. I would get them just for the future, when we are older and our kids have grown up, they can say "oh I remember that!" Cause not everything will be on our videos and the DVD's may have something. If you are into home videos and memories to look back on and enjoy like that, I would think it'd be worth the money.

KT1234
09-29-2008, 05:16 PM
I love watching Disney specials,etc on tv and some of my old tapes from trips past. Does anyone remember "A Day at the Magic Kingdom"? It followed a family (mom, dad, little boy and a little girl) through a day at the magic kingdom (as the title suggests!). Unfortunately, I lost mine a long time ago :(. I'd die to find it again!

Are those dvds listed in the first post (from relivethemagic.com) the same as the four sold together at the theme parks? I'm trying to find others that take you from attraction to attraction without all the storyline.

ILoveLegos
09-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I love watching Disney specials,etc on tv and some of my old tapes from trips past. Does anyone remember "A Day at the Magic Kingdom"? It followed a family (mom, dad, little boy and a little girl) through a day at the magic kingdom (as the title suggests!). Unfortunately, I lost mine a long time ago :(. I'd die to find it again!

Are those dvds listed in the first post (from relivethemagic.com) the same as the four sold together at the theme parks? I'm trying to find others that take you from attraction to attraction without all the storyline.

Yes.

KAT1811
10-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Interesting. We too will have to look into them on our trip. We love watching the Travel Channel specials on Walt Disney World. It is such a treat when they are on and would be great if we could just pop a DVD into the player when we need a little WDW fix!

mickeyjohn
10-05-2008, 04:34 AM
Hi, after reading about the d v ds your talking about it made me think about other Disney specials and theme park related things on d v d. Not sure if you all would be interested but there are d v d s you can buy that show full Disney T.V. specials. Not to menchin they are not priced that badly. If any one is interested I will let you no where to find them. A question if I may How long are the Dvds you were talking about that you can buy at the park? Thanks for reading.:mickey:

ShinynewJB
10-05-2008, 06:32 AM
I purchased (at WDW in the gift shops) the four theme park individual DVDs a couple of years ago. They have since re-packaged them into a five DVD gift set which includes the Disney Cruise Line DVD (I've never viewed that one). Each theme park has a story line that is not very memorable and I don't consider the videos half as good as a planning DVD. That said: These basically sit on my shelf until I need to get a little Disney into my day. The Animal Kingdom DVD has an explorer type guy in it, and the EPCOT one has Professor Sy N Tiffic in it (he's rather annoying). The Magic Kingdom one has Mickey and Minnie going through their day at Magic Kingdom in it. I can't remember what is in the Hollywood Studios one. It does not contain full ride video footage just various shots of people/character/scientist/explorer dude on a certain ride or cracking a corny joke. I think that the planning videos capture the magic of Disney much better than these and they are free! If you're a big fan, buy them but don't expect too much by way of entertainment.

I think you've hit the nail on there head there! I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I got them on my visit this September due to regretting not buying them in 2005 when we went. They're ok, but the planning DVDs are better. The production values feel really low for a Disney product too. A bit sedate maybe.

Someone mentioned about old-school Epcot. Well the Epcot DVD does have sections on "historic attractions" in the special features, and it has quite a good little clip on Walt explaining his vision for Epcot.

They're $20 each, or 5 for $80, but that includes the Cruiseline DVD, which I could have gone without. Quite expensive in my eyes, and that's WITH the fact the £ to $ exchange rate is awesome for us right now.

I'll just say as well; I've actually only seen the MK and Epcot one right now. I'm saving the others for a "rainy day". I can't remember just how long they are, but they're around 30 minuites I'd say.

So I guess what I'm saying, is they're pretty good, and deffinatley will be good in a year or so when I'm really missing WDW. If you're a fan, and like the planning DVDs etc, give it a try. Maybe even just buy your favourite park one and see how you like it. But as Lego said, the planning DVDs probably capture the excitement better.