PDA

View Full Version : Cooking/Grilling Fish?

minnie-mouse
09-29-2008, 09:15 AM
What is a good type of fish to cook/grill for someone who does not really eat fish -not because they don't like it but just never really tried it. Does anyone know any good recipes or seasonings that go well with fish? Any tips on how to cook it correctly?

Tinksalot
09-29-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm not a big fish eater, but I do like Tilapia. Its very mild. We usually put a little "Old bay" on it and its quite good. My husband prefers in the pan instead of on the grill.

disneymom15
09-29-2008, 09:43 AM
We like salmon. We buy the No Name brand or generic equalivalent, it comes pre-seasoned and is very good.

vicster
09-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Tilapia is a good choice. Use your choice of a meat rub and cook it on a cedar plank on the grill - no fish smell in the house. I also serve it with a chimmichuri sauce.

JanetMegan
09-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I love fish!! A couple suggestions...

With something like sword fish or mahi, I like to cut it in cubes and slather it in a mix of olive oil, lemon zest and garlic and kosher salt. Very good grilled on skewers.

For things like Cod and Tilapia the other night I sauteed some onions, peppers and mushrooms in some butter (or marg) then I put them in the bottom of a casserole, I laid the fish on top of the bed of veggies. I melt a little more butter and added some worshteshire sauce (sounds odd I know) added some lemon juice and poured that on top. I cooked at 400 for about 20 mins (would depend on the size of the fish.)

minnie-mouse
09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks so much for the responses and suggestions!

SurferStitch
09-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Tilapia is wonderful with a Caribbean jerk seasoning or liquid marinade (something with pineapple juice in it). The sweet and spicy flavoring works very well with tilapia.

We also use a pineapple teriyaki marinade on it, and that's also delicious.

We just broil/bake it in the oven, and it turns out perfect!

Salmon can be a pretty strong flavor for someone who doesn't eat fish, so I would stick with a white, light, flaky fish (cod and haddock are also very good).

buzznwoodysmom
09-30-2008, 06:07 PM
I am not a big fish eater. I just really don't like that "fishy" taste. When I do eat fish Talapia is my fish of choice. We usually add our favorite seasoning, a bit of lemon juice, and a small dap of butter and bake it in the oven. It comes our very fluffy and delish. Now I think I may have to cook that sometime this week!

MissStyles
10-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Here's yet another Tilapia recipe...like everyone else stated it's very mild....this is a nice version with CRUNCH factor!

Preheat oven to 350
Dip tilapia filets in egg and seasoned panko breadcrumbs and place on baking sheet
Bake for 20 min and enjoy!