PDA

View Full Version : fear of flying

mouselover93
09-29-2008, 06:07 AM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im flying to disney in december and im so afraid of flying its not funny ( dont laugh ) any info's great

RedSoxFan
09-29-2008, 07:31 AM
My sister has a fear of flying too. She will be meeting us in Disney in October and her doctor gave her Xanax for the plane.

jonsmom
09-29-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't like it either. Xanax is great.

scootch713
09-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Yes, ask your dr for some Xanax(you need a prescription). It doesn't make you sleepy, just takes the edge off. Also, if you already have a seat assignment, board as late as possible. Also turn the fan on once you sit down. The cool air will keep you cool too.... just think of the prize on arrival :mickey:

Scar
09-29-2008, 08:30 AM
The best advice I can give is:

1) Don't do drugs.

2) Drive.

DizneyRox
09-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Statistically it's safer to fly, and while I know it's easy for someone who's not afraid of flying to say, I guess I never understood the fear of flying.

I've seen plenty pictures of car crashes and I'm still driving places. I've got to imagine the speeds these planes are flying it's got to be quicker whatever end up happening.

WIth all the train accidents recently and choice you make is going to end up being 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another. I'd rather get it over with quicker.

vicster
09-29-2008, 09:12 AM
My husband doesn't like flying but he does because when the plane lands he'll be at WDW! Think of the prize at the end!

Little Round Bale
09-29-2008, 09:15 AM
As I get older (50) I get a little more anxious of flying. Talk to your doctor about the fear. People take motion sickness meds all the time.

My family likes to take a portable DVD player and watch disney videos on the way down. Our flight is usually 2 hours or less. Yours will be close to that. I figure I can do anything except holding my breath from under 2 hours.

Just know you are not alone and the thought of just stepping off the plane in MCO is awesome. Then after a vacation full of fun, walking and shopping it is nice to step on the plane and fly home.

I suggest sitting closer to the front of the plane so if you are flying unassigned seats you may need to board earlier.

Are you flying alone?

tink'72
09-29-2008, 09:19 AM
QUOTE=Scar;1749860]The best advice I can give is:

1) Don't do drugs.

2) Drive.[/QUOTE]

:ditto::ditto::ditto:
That's what I do!

Tinksalot
09-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Having been a flight attendent I came across many people that were afraid of flying. Most of the time their fear was of the unknown. They wanted to know about turbulence and why it happens etc. Alot of people are afraid that planes will just fall from the sky, which they don't! Tons of planes take-off and land every day without incident.
Take things to keep you busy. You will be fine. Its still safer to fly than to drive. :plane:

2lilboys
09-29-2008, 09:22 AM
I agree with the above....definitely talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for Xanax.

I also recommend bringing an ipod or something that plays music or books on tape....that will drown out the noise of the engine and may help to distract you a little.

disneymom15
09-29-2008, 09:32 AM
I suggest you also try to take a nap. I used to get nervous and that always seemed to help me.

DVC_dad
09-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I share your fear, and mine too was really bad until about two years ago. Unfortunately what I am going to tell you probably won't help you but it helped me. Anyway it is something to think about.

We moved to a new home. We live across the street from a commercial Pilot who flies international for Delta.

He and I have become fast friends, as I have so much respect for this guy, former Naval Academy etc....blah blah blah, anyway...

Seeing him leave on say a Monday, return on say a Thrusday. Home for a week, then repeat over and over and over and over... seeing him leave and return home helped me to come to grips with the fact that thousands and thousands of planes are in the air everyday with no problems whatsoever.

It really eased my fear of flying. Sorry if that doesn't help but its worth thinking about.

If you have children that will be flying with you remember to try your best to NOT instill your fears in them. I am better able to hide my emotions and fears with my children along.

Here is a quote:
My father never told me how to live, he lived and let me watch him.

Good luck and I hope you are able to have a somewhat relaxed flight.

BigRedDad
09-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I do not understand the fear of flying. I am sure it is real, but it's all mental. You are something like 50x more likely to die in a car crash to the airport than you are on the plane.

Taking drugs is questionable. If you are too out of it, they may not let you board. If you wait to take something until you get on the plane, it may be too late for it to be useful.

I am not sure what else to offer. My best advice is to do mental exercise to convince yourself that flying is still the safest form of transportation.

Boojum
09-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Go to your family doctor and be completely honest about the problem.

I had the same issue a little over a year ago when my DH and I went to Jamaica. I'm not usually very nervous about flying, but something about flying over water had me freaking out.

She gave me a prescription for 4 Xanax pills--two for the trip down, two for the trip back. They didn't knock me out; they just chilled me enough that I wasn't hyperventilating.

mrsgaribaldi
09-29-2008, 05:14 PM
I hate flying too. 30 minutes before boarding I take a Xanax and some over the counter sleeping pills (like Unisom).
I also have a squishy ball with me, like the ones they advertise to relief stress. I wear my sunglasses on the plane and I don't look out the window :nono: I usually sit in the middle. If I'm awake for take off, I'm squeezing that ball like there's no tomorrow.:blush: I also repeat the mantra in my head "thousands of planes fly everyday and none of them ever crash" much like DVC_dad. And like vicster's DH, we get to enjoy a day in Disney World since the flight is so short. :thumbsup:
Our first flight ever was in 1998. Dh and I both were afraid. After 30+flights, DH doesn't mind it anymore and I have knocking myself out down to an art form;) Bring an ipod or something to listen to also, that helps alot. I listen to the Jet Blue music during take off, then switch to my own when it's allowed.

kittysomerville
09-29-2008, 05:47 PM
I just made it through my first flying experience ever a few weeks ago, and I too was very scared! I know everyone is different and different things work for different people. I found that a couple of things worked well for me. On take off and landing, I get something to read. Anything! I'm the type of person that if I'm reading something, the world just kind of fades away for me and people have to say my name to get my attention. Apparently, that works for take offs and landings too even though I still feel a little nervous. Once we're in the air, I like to switch over to a hand held gaming system and play something that requires some concentration to play like Lumines for the PSP. I'm a gamer, so I can reccomend some great games for this purpose on different handheld systems.

I think really though, what made me less nervous about flying was strangely.... flying! Knowing what to expect will really help you on your return flight home.

If worse comes to worse, I'd reccomend talking to your doctor and getting a Xanax or something similar for your flight. I have occasional anxiety attacks and I take Xanax for those. I know that they won't take your nervousness away completely, but they will keep you from being panicy! Don't ever let someone talk you out of taking something if you really think you need it! (and the doctor says it's ok) I think that most people that reccomend against drugs have never had any real anxiety problems that needed it. (No offense to those that reccomend against drugs)

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Scar
09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
... I don't look out the window :nono: On the rare occasion that I do fly, I love looking out the window. I figure, if I'm going to die, I might as well enjoy the cool view before I do.

... "thousands of planes fly everyday and none of them ever crash"None? Ever? :confused:

Stitchahula
09-30-2008, 09:25 AM
I am also terrified of flying. I get sick for days before the flight. I go to the doctor for drugs I'm not sure what it is he gives me but it works great. I'm still scared but not as much and it doesn't make me loopy. I also try breathing excercises like the ones they make you do when you are in labor. You just take deep breaths hold and release slowly. These help too it helps you think about something else. Also remember to drink/chew gum on take offs and landings it will help with your ears. Needless to say don't sit by a window if you can help it if so don't look out. If you are reading something bring it with you on the plane it may help to keep your mind off the fact your on a plane.

TheRustyScupper
09-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Having been a flight attendent I came across many people that were afraid of flying. Most of the time their fear was of the unknown.

1) As a crash survivor, I can say it is sometimes fear of the KNOWN.
2) However, I have overcome it and still fly.
3) I figure the Plane Gods had their one chance at me and missed.
4) That is why business associates like flying with me.
5) We might be late, but nothing worse.

goofgal
10-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm not that fond of flying, and am claustrophobic on top of that. To talk myself into it, I tell myself I would much rather spend 2 hours in the air flying than 16+ hours driving.

I always have my ipod on listening to a book by my favorite author (make sure you go to Walmart and get some noise-cancelling earphones - they make a world of difference). I close my eyes and don't take the earphones off until they make me. Then I pull out a paperback and read until they tell me I can put my earphones back on. My drug of choice is chocolate. Those endorphins :thumbsup: Also, have some gummy bears or gummy worms handy. When the plane starts to pick up speed, start chewing one. It'll help your ears.

Seriously, just remind yourself of how few commercial plane accidents you hear about in the US, zone out to another world (in my case through books), and keep telling yourself that it's better than driving. When you get there, you'll be almost fresh as a daisy and raring to go rather than grumpy from driving all night.

Polynesian Dweller
10-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm another who isn't that fond of flying but I do it because of the reward at the other end and keep the goal firmly in mind.

The fact is that everything in life has risk attached to it and flying is actually has one of the lowest levels of risk going. Driving has one of the highest and trains and buses have risks somewhere in the middle. When I fly, I know with certainity that I've actually chosen the least risky option short of never going anywhere.

OleDoleDoffin
10-02-2008, 04:55 AM
I don't like flying, but I'm not afraid of it. However, I do have my own phobias. I'm relating my experience here more as a fellow phobic than as someone who dislikes flying.

To begin with, you have to understand that phobias aren't rational. I'm not saying that to be insulting, but because it points to how to deal with them. You cannot reason yourself out of an attitude you didn't reason yourself into. Neither can anyone else. Use reason to the extent that it helps, but don't expect it to work like a magic bullet.

Make sure all your companions know ahead of time that you are a fearful flyer. Make sure they know and grok that humor is unlikely to help, and teasing or ridicule are right out. Treating you like a child who needs encouragement is also likely to backfire by reinforcing the idea that flying is something to be afraid of. The best thing they can do is keep a calm, positive attitude.

Know what helps you calm yourself down. If you think an anti-anxiety drug is called for, speak with your doctor. (Personally I've never tried it.) Bring your favorite music or an audiobook. Maybe sunglasses or a sleeping mask will help you block out the fact that you're on a plane. Go ahead and take your lucky rabbit's foot or your teddy bear or one of those stress balls if it helps you. It doesn't matter if it isn't rational - see point one. Personally I like to have some gum to chew and something to do with my hands when I can't avoid facing my fears. It gives me a feeling that at least I am in control of something.

Hope that helps.....

sagitarius
10-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I am probably the worst case scenario when it comes to a fear of flying. I have never, nor will I ever fly in a plane. My entire life I have either taken a car, train, or boat everywhere I've gone.
I know that the fear is only in my head but for me there is no facing it.

Of course, never knowing how it is to get 1000 miles in under 3 hours helps when planning a 32 train ride to N.Y. or a 7 day cruise across the Atlantic (yes, I've done both).

So if you feel like you're a wimp or you get all worked up, just think... you could be me.

Or, you can move an hour away from WDW like I did.

rt207
10-08-2008, 10:41 PM
My first flight was last year. We were going to Guatemala so I didn't have much of a choice in whether I was flying, or not.

My fear was mostly of the unknown and I was worried about motion sickness. I took a motion sickness pill about a half hour before takeoff-just in case. I wound up dozing for most of the first leg of the flight. The first leg of the flight was in a small plane, the second leg was in a larger plane. You feel the turbulence much more in a small plane, but the odd thing for me was that feeling the turbulence actually made me feel better. I know I'm weird, but it wasn't terrible turbulence on the way down. I equated it with driving on a bumpy dirt road and I was OK with it. I was slightly more uneasy when it was smooth flying. I told you I was weird.

Another thing I did was look at a magazine during takeoff (I looked at the ones in the back of the plane's seat, but I don't know if they still supply those, or not). I brought a book, but was not comfortable enough to actually pay attention to what I was reading. After the first leg on the way down was over, most of my anxiety was gone and I had no anxiety, and actually enjoyed the flights, on the way back.

I hope this helps you in some way....