PDA

View Full Version : Brew Crew makes playoffs for first time in 26 years!

brewcrew26
09-28-2008, 09:23 PM
So, is anyone else as psyched as I am that the Brewers made it to the playoffs today? I can't believe this! It's going to be great!!

Scar
09-29-2008, 08:43 AM
So, is anyone else as psyched as I am that the Brewers made it to the playoffs today?Not me. ;)

Congratulations.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
09-29-2008, 08:44 AM
I am absolutely pumped!! The Cubs series was the most exciting I have ever seen. CC is a stud. McClung pitched the game of his life, and I have zero tolerance for Sheets and his "owies". :number1:

Momof2boys
09-29-2008, 09:23 AM
We were going nuts at our house :party::party:

I can only hope that we can start getting some runs that are NOT off the long ball . . . we need to play smart and clean going forward.

PirateLover
09-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Congrats... see ya on Wednesday!:cool:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
09-30-2008, 09:04 AM
I watched Sunday's game again last night on FSN. In spite of Melon Head Bill Schroeder, it was still exciting. We went to Miller Park to get some Wild Card "stuff" but they closed early, and Brewer's Club House doesn't have any....what am I going to do w/o a new hat!!

GO CREW!!:number1:

Jeff G
09-30-2008, 12:32 PM
I was in WDW and missed almost all of the games leading up to Sunday. We did catch the end of Friday's game and it was awesome. I'm pumped that the Crew is finally back in the playoffs. I can vaguely remember 1982 watching the games at my grandpa's house but I was only 11 so most of it's a blurr. Hopefully the pitching stays strong and the bats stay hot (and wishfully a little small ball mixed in).

barnaby
09-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Pretty cool to see the some new blood in the playoffs.
However, I think they will lose to the Phillies in 4 games.

Ian
09-30-2008, 01:08 PM
However, I think they will lose to the Phillies in 4 games.We'll have to see how Sabathia fares on Thursday ... The guy keeps pitching on short rest and you'd think it's gotta catch up with him eventually.

bucky at disney
10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
It just stinks that today's game is at 2.....anyone leaving work early?

bucky at disney
10-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I am absolutely pumped!! The Cubs series was the most exciting I have ever seen. CC is a stud. McClung pitched the game of his life, and I have zero tolerance for Sheets and his "owies". :number1:

:ditto:

brewcrew26
10-03-2008, 07:55 PM
I've been at a conference the past few days out of town. Does anyone know if any of the stores still have any NLDS wear? I'm looking to get the hooded sweatshirt?

Ian
10-04-2008, 08:13 AM
We'll have to see how Sabathia fares on Thursday ... The guy keeps pitching on short rest and you'd think it's gotta catch up with him eventually.Hmmm ... maybe I'm psychic ....

Jeff G
10-04-2008, 09:35 AM
It's not really shocking. He's been going into the 110+ pitch count range for a lot of his starts with the last few on short rest. It's a wonder he even has an arm left. The momentum of Thursdays game swung when Hart grounded into the double play in the first inning.

Hopefully the Crews bats can come alive and make this a series.

Ian
10-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Hopefully the Crews bats can come alive and make this a series.Honestly, I'm not really sure it's the Brewers' bats fault. I think the Phils' pitching has just been near un-hittable.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the Phillies' stars haven't really done much yet, either. If Utley and Howard start hitting, we'll be in a much safer place.

Jeff G
10-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Honestly, I'm not really sure it's the Brewers' bats fault. I think the Phils' pitching has just been near un-hittable.

The Brewers have made average pitchers look like studs the last month.

The number of time the Crew had left the bases loaded this series is amazing. With a clutch hit once or twice and one less error this series could be so much more one sided.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the Phillies' stars haven't really done much yet, either. If Utley and Howard start hitting, we'll be in a much safer place.

They staid cold for at least one more game tonight:D.

Ian
10-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah, their lack of production has been masked up until this point by lights out pitching. As soon as Moyer faltered early last night I knew he didn't have his stuff and that we were in trouble.

I hate to say it, but I think we're going to see a game five here .... :ill:

PirateLover
10-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, their lack of production has been masked up until this point by lights out pitching. As soon as Moyer faltered early last night I knew he didn't have his stuff and that we were in trouble.

Having watched Moyer since he got to the Phillies, I wouldn't really say he faltered. Moyer doesn't really have "stuff." He relies on location. Often, he lets in a run or 2 in the first or second inning because he needs to figure out the ump's strike zone and know what he's gonna get and what he's not gonna get. He only let in 2 runs. For a normal Phillies offense, that should not be an insurmountable lead. Unfortunately, the umpire was atrocious. There was just no consistency there and Moyer could not figure out where to locate his pitches and it caused him to have to throw a ridiculous amount of pitches that first inning. Runge called balls that were strikes and strikes that were balls. This happened on both sides. Now, that is not the reason we lost, it was our bats, but it sure didn't help ease the tension. I think Phils will pull it together tonight though.

barnaby
10-05-2008, 04:02 PM
CC doesn't do well in the playoffs. In 5 games, he is 1-2 with an ERA close to 8.

The Phillies are the better team.
Phillies pitching is what won the series for them, not the lack of bats for the Brewers.

Ian
10-05-2008, 04:05 PM
WHOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!

NLCS, BABY!!! Bring on those Dodgers!!!!

PirateLover
10-05-2008, 05:29 PM
First of all I would like to congratulate the Brewers and their fans. As a philadelphia fan, I know how tough losing can be! But you showed great heart in battling to get to the playoffs. I thought it was classy how the fans stayed to cheer for their team afterward,and hung in until the very end.

Secondly GO PHILS!!!!!!!! I'll be screaming my head off at NLCS game 1 and game 5 (oops, I mean game 6.. forgot that they'll go 2-3-2) if necessary. Ian... you're a mod... perhaps we could merge this thread into an overall "MLB playoff" thread so we can continue our conversations and don't have different threads for each series? Just an idea. :twocents:

Ian
10-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Well right now I only see this thread ... am I missing one?

I'm looking for tickets for Game 1 right now. Gotta try and find some that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Anyone know what time the game starts?

PirateLover
10-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Well right now I only see this thread ... am I missing one?

I'm looking for tickets for Game 1 right now. Gotta try and find some that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Anyone know what time the game starts?

Well, I don't want to continue talking about the Phillies in a Brew Crew thread! There is also the thread about the Chicago teams. I guess we could start a new thread, just thought it might be nice to have an overall playoff thread. Haven't heard anything about the time yet, but I'd imagine it would be a night game (7 or 8) since the NL and AL series are scheduled on opposing nights and all games are on FOX.

Ian
10-05-2008, 07:17 PM
We should probably just move this conversation back to the Phillies thread ... there doesn't seem to be much MLB playoff talk outside of the Phils' fans.

You're right, it probably will be a night game, which is a bummer because I can't make it late. :(

Jeff G
10-06-2008, 11:49 AM
CC doesn't do well in the playoffs. In 5 games, he is 1-2 with an ERA close to 8.

The Phillies are the better team.
Phillies pitching is what won the series for them, not the lack of bats for the Brewers.

I can only agree to a small degree. The Brewers who were one of the best batting teams in the majors through August finished on a skid. In September they had the most stranded runners in the majors and the lowest team batting average. They faced many pitchers who had ERA's in the 5+ range that shut them down. In game 2 (I can't remember the Phillies pitchers name) the Crew had bases loaded in the first and Hart (who has struggled more than any other Brewer) grounded in a DP. They had a chance and didn't capatilize. I can't believe that every pitcher the Brewers faced since the beginning of September had a great game. I've been saying since early this summer that this teams reliance on hot bats and the long ball would come back and bite them later in the year. Yost didn't believe nor did he coach a lot of small ball. When the Cres was hot they scored like a well oiled machine but when the bats were cold the team had no idea how to manufacture a run to save their life. Not a good thing when you play better teams and face good pitching. If you look at the Brewers since the all star break they whipped up on weak teams but lost almost every series against the better teams of the league.

As a Brewer fan it's hard to be disappointed in a team that finished the regular season with 90 wins and made the playoffs in 26 years and I'm not. Hopefully the young player on the team can grow from this and management can find a skipper who has a little more belief in fundamental ball. It was a memorable year and the first time in a long time that the Brewers were relevant in September.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I would have to agree with JeffG...the Crew went in the tank in September. If you would have told me JJ Hardy would be the leading hitter in the playoffs, I would have laughed at you considering all of the hitters in the lineup from April-August. In addition, who would have thought Dave Bush would be the lone pitcher to win a game...granted Rickie Weak(s) infielder and Bill Hall almost single handedly cost the Crew a game. It is nice to see the curse continue at Miller Park south.:number1:

Ian
10-06-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm going to have to disagree. I think (and almost every MLB analyst I've read thus far has agreed with me) that the Phils' pitchers were just lights out.

The Brewers may have had cold bats to exacerbate the problem, but Hamels, Myers, and Blanton were all outstanding on the mound.

And look ... the Dodgers aren't have any trouble manufacturing runs. We'll see how they do against the same lineup.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Spoken like a true Phillies fan...and I would have expected nothing less. but, the one game the Brewers were patient at the plate, they scored runs. It's not like the Phils were hitting the s* out of the ball either. Outside of yesterday, the games were very close. The actual era of the Crew was very low. They just couldn't hit (or field). Way too many strikeouts. And, we did last one more game than the Cubs!!

Jeff G
10-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Ian, I'm not trying to take away from the Phillies pitchers. The stats they put up were great but....

the Brewers were cold. They didn't hit in September regardless of how good or bad the pitcher was and it carried over into this series. There is no way I'm going to buy into it was all the Phillies pitchers. Confidence and patience at the plate was missing from the Brewers and in turn that helped the Phillies pitchers. They left runners on often and didn't make timely hits, the Brewers continued to be awful at the plate.

That said I'm not trying to take away from the Phillies and their accomplishment. I can still give them credit for winning the series. They were the better team and deserved to move on. They took advantage of the Brewers mistakes and won games when their meat of the order struggled. They made timely hits while the Brewers didn't. The pitchers did get the outs when they were needed. In the end the Phillies had scoreboard.

Hopefully the Brewers can build on this like the Phillies did from their play off appearance last year and turn it into a positive.

PirateLover
10-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Spoken like a true Phillies fan...and I would have expected nothing less.
You know, what the heck is that? Did you completely skip over the post where I gave your team and fans props? What makes you the expert on who is a "true Phillies fan" and what that would even entail? All analysis said that pitching was the story of the series, on both sides. When it comes down to it, it's basically an argument akin to glass half empty or half full. Was it hot pitchers or cold bats? I guess it just depends on the way you look at it. Some wold say a hot pitcher turns bats cold, others would say cold bats make pitchers look hot. But your snide comment was uncalled for.

Ian
10-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Spoken like a true Phillies fan...and I would have expected nothing less. but, the one game the Brewers were patient at the plate, they scored runs.Spoken like a true Brewers fan ... ;)

We'll just agree to disagree. It's not really that big a deal and truth be told it's tough to know who's right for certain. As Maryanne said, it's like chicken or the egg.

Anyway, I didn't intend to slight the Brewers. They played well and obviously have a talented team. I agree to an extent that if a few plays turn out different it's an entirely different series.

Hopefully we'll meet again next year in the playoffs and have a rematch!

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Ian,

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that as a compliment. Good luck the rest of the way!

Mike.

barnaby
10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm going to have to disagree. I think (and almost every MLB analyst I've read thus far has agreed with me) that the Phils' pitchers were just lights out.

The Brewers may have had cold bats to exacerbate the problem, but Hamels, Myers, and Blanton were all outstanding on the mound.

And look ... the Dodgers aren't have any trouble manufacturing runs. We'll see how they do against the same lineup.
I agree.

And I am not a Phillies fan. :D
South Jersey Red Sox fan ;)

I predicted Dodgers vs Rays in the WS before the playoffs started.

barnaby
10-06-2008, 09:15 PM
You know, what the heck is that? Did you completely skip over the post where I gave your team and fans props? What makes you the expert on who is a "true Phillies fan" and what that would even entail? All analysis said that pitching was the story of the series, on both sides. When it comes down to it, it's basically an argument akin to glass half empty or half full. Was it hot pitchers or cold bats? I guess it just depends on the way you look at it. Some wold say a hot pitcher turns bats cold, others would say cold bats make pitchers look hot. But your snide comment was uncalled for.

Typical angry Philadelphia sports fan. ;)
Just kidding.

I grew up in a Philly suburb, and root for the Eagles, Flyers and Penn State football. Not a basketball fan.

PirateLover
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Typical angry Philadelphia sports fan. ;)
Just kidding.

I grew up in a Philly suburb, and root for the Eagles, Flyers and Penn State football. Not a basketball fan.

Lol, I think people who've been around this board have come to find that I can sometimes be sensitive to the negative light that is shown on Philadelphia fans and only Philly fans. It just seems to me that people make automatic assumptions about us which is unfair. So Missy_Mouses_Dad if you truely meant what you said as a compliment I'm sorry I misinterpreted it. My radar is just very quick to go off sometimes!

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-07-2008, 08:41 PM
No problem...I could never rip on the Phils. Mike Schmidt is my all time favorite ball player. Just finish the job.