PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Lodge

kakn7294
09-28-2008, 12:41 AM
We are considering resorts for a future trip sometime in summer '09. One resort on our list is AKL - we've never stayed there before. Is it worth staying at AKL if I do not pay for a Savannah view room? What do you like and dislike about the resort? How does it compare to POFQ and CBR (my faves)? How is the bus service? How is it getting around the resort? Anything you have to offer will be greatly appreciated!!!

Aggie97
09-28-2008, 01:22 AM
We stayed at AKL for the first time in June and really enjoyed it.

We were in a pool view room (savannah was not available at the discount rate), and we were extremely pleased with it. There are so many cool places to view animals around the resort that we did not feel like we were missing out -- and a real highlight was talking to the CMs at many of the animal viewing spots, which we would not have done from a savannah view room balcony.

What we liked: Jiko and Boma are wonderful, convenient dining options. We especially loved our meal at Jiko. The resort is unique and beautiful -- the theming is just amazing. We thought the pool area was fantastic. We had great housekeeping service; on a couple occasions housekeepers stopped us in the hallway, just to chat and see how we were enjoying our stay there. It was so neat to view the animals with night vision binoculars. With only one exception, we did not have lengthy waits for buses, and the buses were not too full.

What we didn't like: We weren't too crazy about having only bus transportation; we've gotten really spoiled by having monorail or boat options! We felt a little isolated from the "WDW action" there -- which is good in that it proves exactly how immersive the resort's theming is, but bad if you want to feel like you are right in the middle of things. Also, we generally like to hop to nearby resorts for drinks, dinners and shopping, and that wasn't easy to do from AKL.

We haven't stayed at CBR, but we did stay at POFQ for the first time last November. We definitely preferred AKL for many reasons: bus transportation was so much quicker; the bathrooms and guest rooms are larger, nicer and have queen beds; the theming is unbelievably unique; and there are two fantastic TS dining options at AKL.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time! :mickey:

BigRedDad
09-28-2008, 06:29 AM
You cannot compare Moderate to Deluxe. There is no real comparison. AKL is far better than CBR and POFQ. For starters, you are in a hotel, not a motel. The activities around AKL are numerous. AKL is away from MK, so that commute is a little long. I am not sure how much more so than the two mods.

If there are no choices or criteria, then AKL all the way. If money is an issue, then you have to weigh the benefits.

BugeyedMuggy
09-28-2008, 06:36 AM
I agree with everything Aggie has to say. We love AKL. We also stayed in a pool view and thought it was great. the pool is awsome. The night vision goggles are very cool.
But the bus to Animal Kingdom is constant, so if you wanted to go to another resort for a drink or an ADR you can take a bus to AK and the resort bus from there rather quickly. On the way back from any resort just take the AK bus and then the AKL bus from there.
We've done this with no problems, at times there were 2 busses at AKL to the AK and the ride itself is only about 4 mins.

joanna71985
09-28-2008, 07:40 AM
AKL is awsome! It is such a beautiful resort. I loved it there.

RedSoxFan
09-28-2008, 08:40 AM
We loved AKL. We had pool view rooms and had a huge picture window outside our room to view the animals. The lobby is breathtaking and the gift shop is unique. BOMA's was good. My kids loved the pool and walking around viewing the animals. No problems with the busses. Hardly ever a wait. And they didn't share with other resorts which I loved.