PDA

View Full Version : jiko vs. Narcoossee's

Airblue1
09-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Thank You guys/gals you have givin me so much advice. I thank you so very much. A lot of your recommendations we have taken. However, I have more question. We are staying at the AKL during the Christmas holiday season and was wondering which resturant is better Jiko or Narcoossee's? We have Narcoossee's adr's for 8:30 so we can see the fireworks, however Jiko's seems to be a resturant you might never experience again, which should you choose?

Thank you in advance:mickey:

Natazu
09-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Again, there's no wrong answer here. Both places are top shelf. Here are my worthless thoughts on them:

Jiko (Signature Service) ☺☺☺☺☻
Jiko is gourmet New African Cuisine, prepared fresh and served at its peak with the largest African wine list in North America. The staff is first rate with an expansive knowledge of the foods and spices that abound at Jiko. Personally, I could eat the gourmet mac & cheese (which takes two days to make) for every meal.

Narcoossee's (Signature Service) ☺☺☺☺
The last of the surf-n-turf venues accepting the dining plan, don’t let that novelty lull you into thinking this place is anything short of spectacular. Offering the best seafood chowder I’ve ever tasted, the seafood-centric menu teems with exciting culinary delights. Give a try to inspired crab cakes, perfectly grilled scallops, or one of the best salmon dishes on property. And for the sweet tooth, there are a lot of places at Disney cranking out crème brûlée but Narcoossee’s Key Lime Crème Brûlée far outshines the rest.

SurferStitch
09-27-2008, 07:20 AM
We've eaten at Jiko once. The food was wonderful, as was the service, but the evening was ruined by a sickeningly drunk man. He really killed it for us. We always say we're going back, but just never made an effort to do so. I did have some amazing scallops there, even though our appetites were squelched by the gross things the drunk did near us.

Now, Narcoossee's is hands down our favorite restaurant on property (excluding V&A). We always have top notch food and service. We've started dining there twice each trip (per DH's request) because we love it so much! Their seafood and filet are so incredibly fresh, and prepared perfectly.

Can't wait....we'll be dining there in 15 days!! :cloud9:

karenrarintogo
09-27-2008, 10:02 AM
We ate at Narcoossee's last week. The filet/lobster combination with au gratin potatoes was WONDERFUL. The almond crusted cheesecake and chocolate almond dessert were topnotch. Full as we were, we couldn't put our forks down as we were eating our desserts. We will be back same time, next year eating the exact same thing. Hopefully the surf and turf and same desserts will remain on the menu until then! :cloud9::tasty:

Aggie97
09-27-2008, 02:34 PM
That's a tough choice! Both restaurants have wonderful food. But we keep going back to Narcoossee's because we love the view of the castle and fireworks over the water. :mickey:

mudpuppysmom
09-27-2008, 11:32 PM
WOW, this is a tough one!!!

I don't know that I could choose between them if I had to, that is how much we liked them both!!

I will say that we eat at Jiko every trip though, which Narc's we eat at every few......for some reason though I'm thinking it is the bill at the end that makes me book Jiko more over Narc's though (at least when I know DH is going to be there --sometimes just DS and I go and we ALWAYS eat at Jiko!!)

Again, this is a tough choice!!! If at all possible, do both!

Airblue1
09-28-2008, 11:26 AM
How about this:
Can you grab a glass of wine a Jiko and just enjoy the resturant without grabbing a big meal?

lawgirl
09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
We've eaten at Jiko once. The food was wonderful, as was the service, but the evening was ruined by a sickeningly drunk man. He really killed it for us. We always say we're going back, but just never made an effort to do so. I did have some amazing scallops there, even though our appetites were squelched by the gross things the drunk did near us.:cloud9:

I'm so sorry to hear that happened! What a bad experience. If I may add some advice in the off-chance that this ever happens again...I would have quietly asked for management, and told them the situation, and ask them to have security remove the drunk man, or tell management that they needed to either move your table away from the man, or reimburse your meal for that night.

Especially at nicer restaurants like Jiko, management should be alerted to anything that bothers you...and if it bothered you, than chances are it affected others as well. My husband and I absolutely will not put up with any kind of problem like that, especially when we are paying big bucks for a meal...ambience is part of what we're paying for, and if the ambience is being ruined by some gross intoxicated person, then we will by all means complain, and expect something to be done to remedy the problem.

You deserve to have a nice, quiet meal!!! I do hope you will give Jiko's another chance. It is our favorite restaurant hands down!

SurferStitch
09-30-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that happened! What a bad experience. If I may add some advice in the off-chance that this ever happens again...I would have quietly asked for management, and told them the situation, and ask them to have security remove the drunk man, or tell management that they needed to either move your table away from the man, or reimburse your meal for that night.

You deserve to have a nice, quiet meal!!! I do hope you will give Jiko's another chance. It is our favorite restaurant hands down!

Oh, management knew. The WHOLE restaurant knew. It took well over 30 minutes for security to show up. Nobody working there would go near him (actually, they weren't allowed to touch him, so we were told). He tried to get up and fall over on a couple tables, but my DH got up and kept the man under control (since nobody else was). We were with another couple, and that husband also helped my DH out. Good thing, too, or else that slob would have been all over everyone. Unfortunately, security showed up after the guy tried to take a sluggish swing at DH, and then urinated all over his chair and the floor.

The manager thanked DH for stepping in to handle the situation.

His wonderful wife left him there for the rest of us to suffer with. They had a spat, she walked out, and the hilarity ensued.

Our entire meal was comped, and we were given bottles of wine to take with us. The manager more than tried to make up for it, but the meal was still ruined.

Jiko is just so out of the way, that it's kind of a pain to get to just for dinner. We would definitely go again...it's just not high on the priority list.