PDA

View Full Version : I'm in total shock!

Beach Club Babe
09-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Words cannot describe what I am feeling right now!

I am 40 something with 4 kids 20,18, 15, and 6. For several months I have not been getting a period. Ok, I thought I'm starting menopause a little early. After all, I got my 1st period at a very early age, so I thought I was about running my course. Back in June, I did get one period that lasted about 2 days. Again, July & August came without a period.

But then it started, nausea and vomiting, Ok I thought I had a stomach virus, but it didn't go away! It could never be, I thought! I can't be pregnant, but there were other signs as well. I went to the store and bought an hpt. To my complete astonishment, it was positive! I called my Dr. and got a script for a blood test. The next day, they called to say, "you're pregnant!" They scheduled an ultrasound for a few days later, and sure enough there was the baby at nearly 12 weeks! I have an appointment with the Dr. on Monday.

My head is still spinning, I'm at a loss for words. And I'm a bit scared out of my mind, being I'm so old!

quicksand
09-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Congrats! Start saving for the little ones first Disney trip!!! :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Congratulations!!! I think you will be fine...after all I might not be 40 something, but I dont think 40 something is old...you can handle it! :mickey: Good luck and again congratulations...and I agree with the AP...start saving for the little ones first trip! :thumbsup::cloud9:

mickey&missy
09-26-2008, 10:30 AM
:pixie: Congrats!! Your not old! Take a deep breath, you'll be fine!

Wishing you a happy, healthy, pregnancy!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-26-2008, 10:34 AM
These days 40 something moms are all too common so don't worry:mickey:, congratulations and believing in a very healthy delivery....

Beast_fanatic
09-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Heather, you know they know what causes that these days. ;)

:hug: and :pixie: to you!

mudpuppysmom
09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
I had the same shocker last year!! I'm not quite 40 though!! We had been trying for about a year and if it happened it happened......well, just when I thought it was not going to happen (I had given us a December deadline) -- in October I too started with what I thought was the stomach flu.....then I finally resigned myself to the fact....I didn't tell anyone, but I thought about it for a while, till November! That was when I bought my hpt and at 5:30 am one morning I was up, so I took it -- Poor DH was just like "whaaaaaa" when I woke him up saying, "LOOK WHAT YOU DID!!!!!"

So I share in your "shock"....not that the little guy is a shock!! He is just high maintenance!!

Mickey 101
09-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Congratulations! I've had similar shocks myself and they turn out to be the very best kind! :cloud9:

gauvin4
09-26-2008, 11:20 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :party: Another Prince or Princess to love!!
Best Wishes!!

3AMommy
09-26-2008, 11:20 AM
We had a surprise like that...her name is Avery!!

We spent so many night being freaked out and scared and worried!!!

"how will we afford it? how will we pay for college? we'll be too old when she gets married to walk down the aisle!"

Now I look back and realize how silly all that worrying is. It all just works itself out.

My advice to you is...enjoy this pregnancy. I spent a lot of time just enjoying each stage of the pregnancy keeping in mind that this was the last time I was going to experience this. It was awesome!

Good luck to you! Take your prenatal vitamins, drink lots of water, get plenty of rest, and remember...you have older kids to help you!!! :D

3AMommy

Lacy
09-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Congrats and best wishes for a healthy and uneventful pregnancy. And I think there are a lot of women who have babies in their 40's these days. I'm sure the little one will be wonderful but I can understand your reaction!

Disney Doll
09-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Congratulations! My aunt was over forty when she had her last child and it was a healthy uneventful pregnancy.

yjgirl32
09-26-2008, 11:29 AM
WAHOOO!!! Congrats. You will have so much fun. It's overwhelming at first- but you have another little one to experience Disney with!!!

RedSoxFan
09-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Heather --- Congrats on your pregnancy. I wish you all the best.:cloud9:

Jeff
09-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow! Congratulations I guess.
Good luck!:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Hmmm...don't I remember a similar post from you , oh...I dont' know....SIX years ago? ;)

I seem to think it has worked out just fine for you.

Congratulations. I hope you have a healthy pregnancy and baby. :)

Sounds like you and DH need to talk about getting one of you "fixed". :blush:

joanna71985
09-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Congrats!! Best of luck with everything!:) And don't worry. My mom was 44 when she had my little brother, and everything worked out.

Beach Club Babe
09-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Hmmm...don't I remember a similar post from you , oh...I dont' know....SIX years ago? ;)

I seem to think it has worked out just fine for you.

Congratulations. I hope you have a healthy pregnancy and baby. :)

Very true! However, at least I was in my 30's then and I knew it could happen. Back then I was starting all over again after so long! I'm doing the exact same thing again! I must need my head examined! :blush:

Minnie Imagineer
09-26-2008, 04:50 PM
congrats!!!!
:baby:

iheartmickey
09-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Congratulations!

DisneyDog
09-26-2008, 06:02 PM
wow! Congrats! And you just got your baby off to elementary school! I would have been in shock too...

Jill

disneydeb
09-26-2008, 06:19 PM
To the family that just keeps growing Congratulations:thumbsup:

disneymom15
09-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Best of luck to you and you're new addition.

Marilyn Michetti
09-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Congrats!!!!!

I'm so jealous, but I think God knew what He was doing, not letting a 65 year old get pregnant. I'd put the poor thing down and forget where. Feeding would be easy tho' - just lay the baby across my knees and let gravity "happen".

I hope you have a WONDERFUL pregnancy, easy delivery, and enough money to hire help.:D

ElenitaB
09-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Congratulations, Heather!

Hey... didn't you go to WDW over the summer? Is this baby a Disney souvenir?? :mickey:

Georgesgirl1
09-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Congrats! Babies are such a blessing whether planned or not. You should join us on the moms to be thread!

alphamommy
09-27-2008, 01:08 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

You'll be fine. Forty-something moms aren't as rare as they used to be. My mom was almost 41 when she had me, and, way back then, it was really unusual. When she went to the doctor, she thought she had a kidney infection, so that's what I tell people I was! They put her in the hospital a couple days before I was born just to make sure she was there when it was time. She said she was bored out of her mind, wandering the halls waiting to have me.

How do your other kids feel about the whole thing? My only sibling turned 21 two weeks after I was born. Our relationship is complicated - she's more like a second mom.

Good luck! :pixie:

daparish
09-27-2008, 07:57 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!! My MIL was 45 when my husband was born and there were no complications.

tinkerbell04
09-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Congrats Heather!

Kairi_7378
09-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Congrats and best of luck to you! I can understand your surprise and shock, though. I think that this is a good time to have a baby at 40... doctors are so much more conscious of risks and whatnot nowadays. (My grandma had her 8th child at 47 in 1973.)

Jeri Lynn
09-27-2008, 08:57 AM
What wonderful news!! Congratulations Heather!

d_m_n_n
09-27-2008, 09:15 AM

:cat::dog: "Help control the pet population.." Oh, wait...:D

Congratulations on your new little beach club babe! :babyroll:

Beach Club Babe
09-27-2008, 11:13 AM

Hey... didn't you go to WDW over the summer? Is this baby a Disney souvenir?? :mickey:

No, not a Disney souvenir, apparently when we were there, I was already pregnant and didn't know it!

offwego
09-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Heather, congrats!! Now you can have your naps at Disney back again (I seem to remember on one of your trip reports you missed those when Emily no longer needed them)

I wish you a happy healthy pregnancy and a happy healthy baby to go with it!:cloud9:

MauiMouse
09-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Congratulations Heather!

Flower
09-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Congratulations!!!

Wow - that must have been a huge surprise! Enjoy your pregnancy and your little miracle!

mrsgaribaldi
09-27-2008, 05:37 PM
:congrats:

kakn7294
09-27-2008, 05:55 PM
I would totally :faint:! Congrats on your new little one! I'm sure you'll be fine - after all, you're a pro! BTW, did anyone happen to mention to you how these things happen?

WDWFanatic
09-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Congrats Heather! What do the kids have to say? They must all be pretty excited.

LottaLubes
09-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey Heather! I just had to pop in and say congratulations! And don't worry about being forty something. I work with a few ladies who purposely did not start a family until they were 40. What a surprise! :cloud9:

Diane

azdisneymom
09-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Congratulations!!!! Hope you are feeling well. Prayers for you and your entire Disney cast.

vizsla
09-29-2008, 05:37 AM
Congratulations :thumbsup:

scootch713
09-29-2008, 08:32 AM
My head is still spinning, I'm at a loss for words. And I'm a bit scared out of my mind, being I'm so old!

OLD!!! I didn't have my first till I was 35 and my second when I was 38... dh was 47 and almost 50!! Just enjoy your miracle!!!!

DrivingSideways
09-30-2008, 04:01 AM
Congratulations! I wish the best for you and your family!

Cinderelley
09-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Heather, you know they know what causes that these days. ;)

:hug: and :pixie: to you!

Maybe you should try changing your toothpaste. ;)

Congrats!!!!!

I hope you have a WONDERFUL pregnancy, easy delivery, and enough money to hire help.:D

She doesn't need to hire help. That's what she had the other kids for. :D

Seriously, I'm sure the shock will subside, and the excitement will begin. My mom was in her 40s when she had my younger sister (I was 8 at the time.) and everything went well. In fact, I'm closer to her than my other siblings. Enjoy your pregnancy and take advantage of every minute of it.

princessgirls
10-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Heather~

What a nice surprise life has thrown at you.

Congratulations! May God bless you and your family during this very special time in your life.

Julie:mickey:

rt207
10-02-2008, 10:30 PM
OMGOMGOMGOMG! Heather! Congrats! I know you're scared, but I'm so happy for you! :babyroll:

Beach Club Babe
10-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks to everybody for their well wishes and congrats! The initial shock has worn off and I'm getting used to the idea of another little one! I had an early scan to look ofr some possible defects and it came back very good, so I'm a little less nervous about things like that. If I could just get over this "all-day" sickness I'll be good!

princessgirls
10-03-2008, 10:26 AM
See that Heather, there was a very valid reason for your lack of energy!

I know... you just LOVE pushing that stroller around WDW! LOL!

All kidding aside, I'm glad the first round of tests was very positive.
I will keep you in prayer.

Julie:mickey:

Cinderelley
10-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Glad everything is looking good for you.

KylesMom
10-03-2008, 02:51 PM
What wonderful news, Heather. I guess you don't have to be worried about menopause for awhile longer, huh?! :D God Bless & I hope your "all day sickness" is gone soon! :mickey:

Momof2boys
10-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Congrats to you & Ron ! And just when you get one off to college . . .

Wishing you the best possible pregnancy & delivery !

Mousefever
10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Congrats to you & Ron ! And just when you get one off to college . . .

Wishing you the best possible pregnancy & delivery !

Boy, that's a good way of making sure you don't pay for two college educations at once!

Amy

:dory:

NewmanFamily6
10-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Congratulations! While it probably was a shock how exciting! We have 4 children and while my DH would definitely faint what is one more at that point;) My mother is the oldest of 6 and her youngest sister was born 1 year before my oldest sister:blush: These things always work out. This child won't get away with anything as you are a seasoned vet now-see always a plus:mickey:

weswerx
10-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Congratulations!
Glad to hear all the scans are coming back ok...

You know, if you buy an annual pass for the baby now, you will have at least three years before you have to use it...just think how much money you can save...:mickey:

So happy for you :tink:

Mickey'sGirl
10-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Congratulations to you and your family, Heather. A new life is always such fabulous news! I am very happy for you! :mickey:

beksy
10-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Congratulations! I'm glad everything is looking good so far and hope it continues. I'm a firm believer that if something happens it was meant to be so look forward to your bundle of joy and all the special moments you'll have to look forward to (at Disney and beyond!). I hope you're feeling better soon. Now you can decide what to do the nursury in (I'd suggest Pooh and Friends :blush:).