PDA

View Full Version : I have shingles

Marilyn Michetti
09-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Of all the dumb stuff I've had in the medical forum, this is the worst. Yesterday afternoon, I noticed burning pain in the inside of my left arm, and what looked like a bruise. It got worse today, so when DH got home from work, we went to Urgent Care. The Dr. diagnosed Shingles. I can't stand air blowing on it, and the "rash" is big and ugly, and will probably blister soon. I don't need this right now, (like, whoever does), but it will get better with the anti-viral and prednisone, he says.

I've got 72 days to get all better before our Dec. trip. so those of you that will be there between the 6th - 15th, it's not contagious, so I want hugs.:ill:

faline
09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
My brother and dad have had shingles. I understand it's quite painful so I'm sorry you're struggling with this! Did they tell you it's related to chicken pox?

:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: Hope you feel better soon!

goofgal
09-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Sending all kinds of good thoughts your way. I had them when I was in my early teens, and I actually still have a small scar from them. They itch like crazy, but as I remember, I was "right as rain" within a week.

ElenitaB
09-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Oh, Marilyn, I'm sorry. My brother had shingles last year and now I keep on hearing of more and more people who've had it or are getting it. Take your meds and it will improve (make sure you take the prednisone with food).

I'll give you some real hugs in December but in the meantime, here are some virtual ones. :hug: Feel better soon, Marilyn!

kakn7294
09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Oh Marilyn, I'm so sorry! I know it's very painful! :pixie: for a short course and a quick recovery!

goofiecrazy
09-25-2008, 09:37 PM
My dad is just getting over them this past week.Its on his left side of his forhead and went over that side of his head.It even made his eye swell real bad.BUt he went to the doc and got meds and its a lot better he said. It usually happens in older poeple but his doc said shes starting to see it in tennagers now.

d_m_n_n
09-25-2008, 10:01 PM
My dad is just getting over them this past week.Its on his left side of his forhead and went over that side of his head.It even made his eye swell real bad.BUt he went to the doc and got meds and its a lot better he said. It usually happens in older poeple but his doc said shes starting to see it in tennagers now.

If he hasn't done it already, your dad might want to check with an ophthamologist about his shingles. DS11 got them on his face and ended up with them on his cornea. Thankfully there was no scarring on his cornea, but we just finished 6 months of steroid eyedrops.

To Marilyn, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this! From what I have witnessed, they are NO FUN!!! :pixie: that they will be gone soon!!

CAS
09-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Think on the bright side. If this is the worst medical issue you've encountered then consider yourself one lucky duckling!

coloradowendyl
09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Check with your doc about an over the counter arthritis cream with Capsaicin (active component of chili peppers)that numbs the area. When I had shingles, it was prescribed for me to use when they had crusted over and were not open any more. It actually numbs the nerves so you don't feel the pain or itching...just be sure to apply it with gloves or you might have a nasty surprise if you touch your eyes.

That stuff absolutely saved me from losing my mind over the itching!

Good luck and wishes for a speedy recovery!
Wendy

disneydeb
09-25-2008, 10:48 PM
:hug: Marilyn! Bless your heart! I'll hug you in December!:pixie:

pogo
09-25-2008, 10:51 PM
So sorry to hear this Marilyn. :pixie: for a quick recovery.

[QUOTE=Marilyn Michetti;1747735I've got 72 days to get all better before our Dec. trip. so those of you that will be there between the 6th - 15th, it's not contagious, so I want hugs.:ill:[/QUOTE]

No worries here........ I'm looking forward to that hug you've owed me for a while now. :D

SBETigg
09-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Marilyn, so sorry! I hope you get better fast!

:hug: :pixie:

diz_girl
09-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Marilyn - I'd give you a hug in December, but you're arriving the day that I'm leaving.:(

I had shingles last year when I was pregnant, so I am feeling your pain. I got it around Mother's Day weekend of 2007. I went to the doctor the day that the blisters appeared, as the only other symptom that I had was painfully sensitive (to the touch) skin in the affected area. I was given Valtreax, which was the only thing that I could take since I was pregnant. Once I started treatment, the blisters were dried up within a week and the pain was pretty much gone within two weeks. By the time my son was born on July 5, it was forgotten.

You did a great job of catching it early. You caught it before it gets into blister form, which is where it really itches and hurts. Hopefully, the doctor prescribed Valtrex for you. It's a huge pill and you can chop it up. Since you caught it early and are able to treat it early, it shouldn't get too bad or stay for too long. You may want to go to your dermatologist (if you have one) to see you through your course of treatment.

Just a warning - If you still get blisters, then either stay home or wear long sleeves when going out. When the blisters appear, you won't be contagious for shingles, but will be contagious for chicken pox until the blisters dry up. And especially stay away from any small children who have not been fully immunized for chicken pox.

Good luck and here's some pixie dust for you.:pixie:

Beast_fanatic
09-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Marilyn, I'm so sorry to hear this! :pixie:

My sister had them and thought she never get rid of the pain from them. So, loads of :pixie: and I'm saving my :hug: for December!

alex61821
09-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the shingles, i had them in my 20s still remember the pain quite vividly and its been 20 years since i had them. sheesh sometimes its hard to imagine yourself being around long enough to say things like that happened to me 20 years ago. seems like things have progressed since i had them the DR said you have shingles, have a nice day and that was it.
man i remember how it would feel like a hot knife running down my side and i would look to see if i was bleeding and there would be a little droplet of sweat just gingerly making its way down my side.

KarenP
09-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh I remember that pain! It felt like someone was putting a lit cigarette out on my skin. The good news is the meds will help quickly. Hope you feel better soon!

BrerGnat
09-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Marilyn, I'm sorry to hear you are sick. :(

My grandfather had shingles many years ago. He got very sick with them, but was only down for about a week.

I hope you stay on your feet and are good as new by the time your trip rolls around.

Here's some pixie dust for you.

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

RedSoxFan
09-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Marillyn --- So sorry to hear this. I hope you feel better soon.:cloud9: