PDA

View Full Version : How likely to get upgraded at AKL?

ewasilau
09-25-2008, 02:09 PM
We're going in late Jan-early Feb, and while I'd love a savanna view room, I'd prefer not to actually pay for one (it's a $65/night price difference between standard and savanna view). Has anyone ever been upgraded at AKL? It seems that there are more savanna view rooms than standard rooms - I don't know if this matters at all. (Also, if it makes a difference, right now it looks like we'll book through AAA as we got the lowest quote from them (and I did try MJ)).

Thanks!

BigRedDad
09-25-2008, 02:35 PM
We were upgraded from a parking lot view to a Savannah view room. However, they knew it was our Honeymoon, we got bumped from the Contemporary, and we could not get into the Polynesian. This was 2 months after 9/11, so weird things were going on. We got to AKL, asked the CM about being moved to the Poly. The manager came out and apologized, he said they knew the situation and had already upgraded us to the Savannah. They were trying to get us back to the Contemporary, but it didn't work out that day. We stayed the whole week when we could have moved to CR after the 2nd night.

It is a very nice resort whether you are on the Savannah or not.

mudpuppysmom
09-25-2008, 03:05 PM
We were nicely surprised a few years ago when we stayed at AKL. When I checked us in the CM said she had ready a nice savannah view room on the Uzima Savannah!! I was so elated because DS I knew would love seeing animals anytime he walked onto the balcony!

I did not ask for the upgrade, it was already done when we got there I guess!

We are staying again in December and while I'd like an upgrade, it'll be a surprise again since I booked a standard view room only. It's the first time my sister and her kids are going and that is noted on our ressie, so we'll see what happens -- maybe they'll upgrade them which I know my nieces will love!

If you don't get an upgrade when you check in it never hurts to ask, however don't be stunned when they say no. For a sure thing you need to book the sure thing as many many people on here will tell you.

Even if you don't get into a savannah view room you can see animals all over the resort, just not on your balcony that's all.

LynneM
09-25-2008, 03:34 PM
The number of upgrades at AKL has diminished greatly since a large number of rooms were recently converted to DVC villas.

TammiMcMan
09-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately, Lynne is correct. While it was almost commonplace for view upgrades at AKL, that has greatly diminished since the DVC villas were added. The DVC units took away all the club level rooms and they've all been relocated to savannah view rooms on the lower floors. There's still always a chance of an upgrade, but most guests now are ending up with the view that they booked.

ewasilau
09-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks - this is really good info. What about the construction at AKL (due to the villas)? Does it impede views? Does it take away from the experience of the resort?

WhiteRose1
09-26-2008, 12:59 AM
AKL upgrade? I wish. We paid for a Savannah room, requested a king bed (honeymoon)

They could not even honor that request.

We got stuck with 2 beds during our honeymoon....pay for what you want, but it can not hurt to ask nicely....

(We saved up for 2 years to stay at poly platinum plan with MK view!)

EmmMOM2
09-26-2008, 09:40 AM
We were upgraded BOTH times we went...
2005 AND a few weeks ago this YEAR..

I'd say as long as you dont go during a very PEAK season you should most likely be upgraded.

McGoofy
09-26-2008, 10:18 AM
We got upgraded not too long ago at AKL. We had paid for standard view, and we were given a pool view. While this is not the savanna of course, it was a really pretty view. And actually, when we sat out on our balcolny, we could see a little bit of the savanna and some of the animals. I'd say not bad for a free upgrade! ;) Of course, the only way to guarantee yourself a true savanna view is to actually book one. Otherwise, just plan on looking at the parking lot and then be pleasantly surprised if you are given an upgrade. Also, I think upgrades are given before you arrive because on our last visit we were at WL, again expecting a standard view. When we checked in, the CM said, "Oh, it looks like they gave you an upgrade." The way she said it made me think that was our planned room assignment before we arrived. We had paid for standard, but got a room looking over Bay Lake. It was absolutely beautiful. It was low season and not crowded at all in the parks, so I guess they must have had lots of room availability. Hopefully you will get lucky!:mickey: